Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so Lilli is now 2 yrs old and I think she has her emotions all mixed up. You can be loving on her and then she starts a low rumble of a growl, so most ppl will remove her hand from her, only she starts growling more fiercly and starts knashing her teeth like she is going to eat you alive. Then she goes for your hand and only wants you to love on her more.. I tried to get a vid of her doing this, the one that I have is a very mild one. And the next thing, does anyone else's chi perch on their chest and lick their face? She will put her tiny little feet on your face to get you to move how she wants it. If you try to put your hand in the way of this she starts the growl and does the above mention antics. Yes, I know she is a dominant female, No she has not bit anyone or any dog. Yes she loves everyone although shy at first. And we are still working on her actually playing with other dogs, I believe she didn't learn how to do this because she was a singleton puppy and she is still a only dog for us. I do socialize her with other dogs, big , small and anything in btwn. She will let them smell her and everything but when the do the play bow she backs away as she is afraid. Although for some reason she tends to like other chi's better than anything. Can anyone help me figure her out. In all other aspects she is the perfect dog.. no chewing , no obnoxious barking (little barking if someone comes to the door only), was potty trained to go outside when I got her (6 wks, yes I know it was too early, but it was either that or they were going to dump her @ the pound) no accidents in the house. We have gone through good manners and advanced good manners and she does everything perfectly except sometimes on heeling. She loves agility, we are going to try more this year to get a title.

Any Insight would be much appreciated!

Becki & Lilli

[URL="[/URL]

VID00009-20110111-2102.mp4 video by cnspots - Photobucket

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
your chi thinks she is the pack leader, that is not a good thing. Stop letting her do what she wants when she wants! Dont let her push your head how she wants it. Growling to have her own way is a bad thing. Step up and show her who is boss. When she displays this kind of behaviour I would be putting her in a pen immediately for time out. She will soon realise that bad behaviour wont be tolerated and you will become the pack leader.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
i think it may be the way you are petting her you are scrathcing her back in a playful way kind of razzing her up Baby does that too when I razz her up

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I agree she thinks she is in control. You need to establish pack order within your home. Google NILIF (Nothing in life is free) this is a training program that will make her do something for you before she can do what she wants, ie, getting on the couch, bed, eating, etc.. It is a reward system. I would nip this in the bud now as it will only get worse. Please keep us updated ;-)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
She is a little chi with a big personality! I noticed when you stopped petting her she went for your hand like she wanted you to do it more or to play. I know my chi doesn't like to be ruffed up. She likes me to be gentle with her. You may be playing/pettiing a little ruff where she feels she has to play ruff back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts