Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have three 4 week old puppies that I've had for about week. They aren't with their mom anymore because with their previous home 3 of the puppies got killed by a coyote. And the mother stopped taking care of the other 3 so I decided to take care of them. I took them to the vet yesterday for a check-up to see if I was doing good. And he said they were healthy with no problems. Anyway they are 4 weeks and they walk around the room. But they still eat and sleep most of the time. Is that normal for their age should they be playing with each other and stuff yet. Also what age should I start potty training. They can use the bathroom on their own, when they have to go they get out of their bed and use the bathroom and go back to sleep or if they are hungry start whining for some food. So I was wondering what should I be doing with them at this age because they got no mom so should I just continue feeding and putting them sleep. Or should they be doing other things? Also when should I start weaning and putting on puppy food.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also can they learn social skills from their brother or sisters or is it something that can only be learned from their mother.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I got Gadget when he was 3 weks old.

I had him in a box with a potty pad covering the bottom. he wouldn't use the pad so I put newspaper on it in half of the box and made him a bed in the other side. he started going over to the newspaper and using it all by himself. by the time he was 4 weeks old I turned his box into a potty box and got him one of them fuzzy beds and put it in a laundry basket for him to sleeep in. he slept in it at night and when he had to go potty he would left me know.. I also got in the habit of putting him in the box every so often until I figured out his potty scedule. now at 3 months he is almost fully potty trained.. he only has an accident very seldom now... which most of the time it is my fault he didn't make it to the pad.. he has a pad in the livingroom and one in his pi in the bedroom. he uses both of them.

I only bottle fed him for a couple weeks when he stopped wanting the bottle. by the time he was 6 weeks he was totally off the bottle and formula and on ti regular puppy food and water.

now he will eat when he wants and goes potty when he has too...

He slept most of the time round the clock. he would wake up and eat and then play for a short while (about 15 to 20 minuttes) and then he was off to dream land again and would sleep for a couple hours and then it was time to eat potty and play again then off to dream land... we did that until he was about 8 weeks every week after that he started staying a wake alittle longer each day...

he still has his nap times but they are getting fewer and the big one is in the afternoon where he willl sleep for 2 or 3 hours.

Man I know it was work working with 1 I can't imagine taking care of 3 of them... good luck... post pictures soon please. :)

another nice thig about having gadget at a young age is the bond he has with me... I am his mommy no doubt about it... and he lets everybody know it too.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Poor little things... first of all, good luck to you. You're probably not getting as much sleep as you'd like yourself! You could try making some puppy food available to them mixed with their esbilac or whatever you're using as milk replacer. I think most pups between 4-6 weeks try to start nibbling on "big dog food". Also, if you have problems with a bottle, a tuberculin syringe is preferred by some pups. I would keep them on some Nutrical during the transitional stages until they're well weaned and on their own. They ARE still babies, so sleep is probably their biggest activity. But I bet you see that change pretty quickly over the next couple of weeks. Then they'll be playing all the time and racing around!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replys :D It does get kinda tough at night when I gotta feed them because it takes a while to feed all 3. They eat once at 12am then at 3am then at 6am. So I dont get much sleep. I am sleepy during the day. But I'm learning to adapt to their schedule. I will probably get some pads today and some puppy food. They dont potty in their beds so they do get out to use the bathroom I guess Illl start trying to get them to use the pad. I am giving one away to friend when its older. I cant handle 3.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I would reccomend using "Eukanuba puppy Weaning Formula". It is dry food that is the consistency of "Cornmeal". Just moisten it with water or milk replacer. It is kinda hard to find. You can go online and usually find a location that sells it. I kept Chloe on it untill she was 6months old. She never once had a drop in blood sugar and thrived on it. She was soo tiny. Didn't weigh a pound untill she was 5i/2 months. :shock: good luck! It is commendable what you ae doing...

sandra

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I have no practical advise to offer (unlike lots of other folks here) but I just wanted to say how much I respect what you're doing. Most people would have said "It's just 3 puppies, who needs all that work?" and walked away from the commitment. Hooray to you. :cheers:

And give those lil guys a kiss for me. :love10:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
update

i decided to try and see if they could eat real puppy food it was soaked in water but it wouldnt get fully soft. They went crazy over it , I bought them purina puppy formula. They just sucked on them and try to eat but couldn't. So I'm going to wait til their teeth start coming in first. I took one of them to the vet cause I thought he had a cold but the vet said he was fine. I guess I'm just paranoid because I've never had puppies this young and I dont wanna mess up. Well last night about 2m whn I was about to feed them they were kinda trying to play maybe but not fully doing it. They do walk all around my bedroom. They go somewhere in the room and cry because they looking for me. But today is the first day they stopped acting blind because I would be right in front of them and call them and they would go the wrong way and start whining. The only way they would come is if I put my hand next to their face so they could smell. But today they actually look at me now and cry when they hungry. So their making progress the problem I have now though is I cant get them too use the bathroom on the pads. When they are sleep all of a sudden they get up and get off their beds and go pee. But it happens so fast I can't pic them up and put them on the pad in time. And I also I don't know if they are too young to understand that they are supposed to go on the pee. Or they understand if I say no to them. Would putting newspaper on top if the pads help at all? I dont have a crate but I'm thinking of getting one. They do pee on the pad 1 out of 5 times but I dont know which one uses it because I got 3. I dont really have a schedule for them because they pee at random times. They do us the bathroom right after they eat they go to sleep right after i feeding and pee later. any tips?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts