Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!!! Its after 10pm here and my vet just called...she has managed to get Poppy an appointment for Thursday morning at the Beijing University Veterinary Hospital for her leg operation.....and I am so freaked out!! :shock:
Apparently, the surgeon is good and very experienced at this operation...but this is my BABY girl who is going to go through this..I keep looking at her and just cuddling her and telling her I love her. I know that this is for the best and I know she has to have the operation to be pain free....but you can imagine how worried I am. I mean, an operation is still an operation.....there are the risks....
I wont be able to sleep a wink now :( Please everyone, send good vibes to the little Popster....her little leg is so withered and I am praying its not too late to get her back on four legs......and also forgive me if I dont get back here until after Thursday...it will be a long day for sure....and I will let you all know how it goes.....I wish it was over already :(

Poppy had her operation yesterday.I took her to the clinic and there were 4 surgeons there, because they were interested to see this operation, not many vets get to do this kind of surgery.The surgeon that operated on Poppy is a Professor at the Beijing University Vet Dept...so she had the best care we could find.

They were really kind to us and let me hold Poppy until she fell asleep.The operation took 2 and a half hours but when she came out of the operating room, she was already awake, completely out of it, but awake!
Now she is at the hospital in recovery, my vet just went to see her and tells me she is getting on well, already eating and pooping! :D

She isnt allowed to walk for 4 days but after that she will take about 6 weeks to get over the procedure, followed by physiotherapy and swimming.I am going to have to take her every day for antibiotics shots for another 3 days, but we all decided her recovery would be quicker if she is at home with me to wait on her hand and foot.
PHEW!!! I am so glad the bad part is over....this afternoon I am going out and buying her lots of new treats...a new big cushion to lie on, new toys and new bowls..I think she deserves it, oh, also a new carrier! and I am ordering 3 new outfits for her from Jodie!!
Thanks for all your encouraging words...the Popster really appreciated them :D So did I! :wave:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I will definitely keep you and Poppy in my thoughts. You are doing this surgery to better Poppy's life, and I am sure she will be fine. Keep us posted, and know that we are all thinking of you as you go through this!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Aww, Camilla, I think we all know how you feel. You can't help but worry, and that's understandable. It sounds as though your vet has found a good surgeon with experience in this type of surgery. I'm sure she will have the best of care.

Just remember, we will be sending good thoughts your way, and I'll be praying for an excellent outcome and a quick recovery. Hugs to both you and Poppy.

Please keep us posted.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Camilla sweetie - clam down lol I know thats easy for me too say sat here - but your vibes will rub off on Poppy and distress her and we dont want that - she will be fine we will all be thinking and praying for her - I hope she has a smooth op and a speedy recovery please keep us posted and we are all here for you - PM me if you need someone to talk too :wave:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper and I are both sending our best vibes for you and Poppy. I know it's silly to even say it, but try to stay calm - it's best for Poppy and it's best for you.

Cooper just went through knee surgery about 2 1/2 weeks ago and, although I worried my rear-end off, I was very calm and peaceful when I saw him for the first time after it was over with. I'm not sure what happened; maybe I didn't have any worry left to worry with. Of course, he was just like "hey ... they shaved my hair!!" but as far as what they did during the surgery - he had not one care and managed just fine in his recovery. (I was a completely different story!! :shock: )

I send the best to you and Poppy ... with hopes of a safe and successful surgery and a happy and trouble free recovery!!!

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Auggie & I send positive vibes to you. I can imagine how upset you must be cause I know I would be too. Just keep telling yourself it is for Poppy's sake and it will be OK :wink: :wave:

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
I wish you both well, please let us know how things go, God bless you both xx

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Oh my,,i guess i missed something somewhere...
What kind of surgery? You'll be in my thoughts and i know how you feel. When Tiffany (my little chi baby that passed away 6 years ago) had to have an emergency hysterectomy, i thought i would die from worry. She was 8 years old at the time and it was necessary to save her life. Back then, all the vets around here required that a dog who was being spayed stay over night which is why i hadn't had her spayed years before. Anyway, i told the vet that no way could i leave my baby overnight. She let me bring Tif home as soon as she was awake because i'm a registered nurse. I was so relieved to see she was ok but i grew wrinkles d/t the stress it caused me. I have already experienced a certain degree of stress just thinking about having Jolie spayed but i know it's what i want to do. Jolie will never be a mother because pregnancy and birth brings danger of complications and death and i will not go there with my baby! Besides, the baby can't be havin' babies! lol At any rate, i'll be thinkin of you and waiting to hear that everthings ok!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Camilla, I won't tell you to not worry because that is what we chi mommys do... but I will tell you that I will be praying adn thinking of you and Poppy until you update us on her surgery...

{{{{HUGS}}}} to you and Poppy from Gadget and me.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Camilla, I'm sending some good vibes and hugs to you and Poppy. I hope her surgery goes smoothly and I'm also hoping for a speedy recovery. Keep us posted! :)

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you all so much for you sweet words, it really means alot to me. :)

I have to take her in at 9am Thursday morning and then I will stay until she is through the surgery.It was such a problem finding a surgeon who had experience with this type of surgery but our Aussie vet found him and she says he is good, so I guess I will have to trust him! Here in China, they normally keep them in for a week to recover, but there is no way that is going to happen...I mean, we only just came back from our holiday and Poppy will think we have abandoned her AGAIN!
Anyway, our Aussie vet is going to talk to the surgeon and suggest that Poppy will recover much better if she is back with her family as soon as possible...so all being well, we will let her stay overnight and pick her up on either Friday nite or Sat morning.
I know I am a worry wart, its just going to be so hard leaving her in a strange place where she wont understand whats going on... :(

Thanks again for all your good wishes, I will update as soon as I can... :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts