Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK people here's the deal...........I am getting a puppy (soon or later not sure yet) we are looking and I have a few leads so I am not sure "when".
Here's the dilemma: I have a small house apt. Imagine a rectangle when you come up my steps and each side of the rectangle has a room, that is my layout. Each room is smallish...The living room is the largest room but it is the coldest. Now when I brought Kemo home I gated him in the kitchen (still do when we go out long peroids) when I get this puppy, ideally that is what I would like to do. BUT that will prevent Kemo from getting to his food and one of his beds. The kitchen and my bedroom is the HUB of the family life. They are the rooms that are most used. (My daughter lives in the dining room) not literally that is just where her butt stays as her computer is there.
Anyway If I gate puppy in kitchen then that really makes life difficult for Kemo and he loves being in the kitchen when I am.
I was thinking of buying a playpen or xpen (WHEW where will they fit??) and putting puppy in living or dining room under a tarp (to avoid ruinining my rugs) and setting up his house like that. One part for play/eat/sleep the other with paper for "bizness". That also may not work either and then I have the expense of an X-Pen that might not get used that much......time is running out as I may have a pup soon. I have been racking my brains and my house is so small. PLEASE dont say then I should wait cause I am not moving anytime soon and I want Kemo to have a buddy while he is younger than older due to his oh so pleasant self. The x-pen works too in a way cause Kemo can sniff and not feel invaded as much, puppy is safe etc etc.
I also will crate train this pup.....at what age do I start that...obviously they cant hold it all night......and I have Kemo in his crate at night in my room, its warm and he likes to be near me which I assume pup will too. AARRRGGHHHH help me people. Any one want to build an addition for me LOL
If they get along right away the kitchen will work.......eventually GOD willing they will be buds and then I can just gate them both in kitchen....actually Kemo is ok if left in my room he can go in his crate. I want things to stay the same as much as possible for Kemo and yet establish rules for the pup.

Anybody else have any ideas?? I tought of the x-pen in kitchen but then we might not fit in there :roll:

help me now and be nice ok!!! LOL

the whole idea is for them to have each other so I know this is temnp until I can trust Kemo with puppy but I dont know how long that will be.
Also the pup may be older say 4-5 mos. I am not set on a 10 week old....I am very open.

I think I covered everything (yeah right) :wave:

THANKS!

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Lol Victoria - I mean there are 2 things you can do put pup in kitchen with kemo if they get along this will be fine I had the same issue I have a tiny house too and they were fine together but I didnt want to leave them alone when we werent there so the first night we keot ozzy downstairs which is where he has the run of (lounge and kitchen) and took lily upstairs with us the first night then the next day they were fine and they have been inseperable ever since I brought one big basket which they share ad they have seperate food bowels but I just got a bigger water bowl which they share.

if kemo doesnt like pup right away I think the x pen play pen is a good idea - can youy not try like second hand stores or in paper or ebay for a second hand play pen as you might not need it long and if she doesnt use it im sure you could sell it on .

anyways good luck and keep us posted - tell us more about these leads are you getting a girl ? :wave:

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
This is what do: Annabelle is 3 yrs. old. She is house broken, has the run of the house and sleeps with us. Cody is 6 months and Callie is 3 months. Cody and Callie got along right away so I got them an X-Pen that we have downstairs in the computer room. That room is carpeted so DH bought a sheet of vinyl flooring that matches our carpeting pretty good. He cut that to fit under the X-Pen leaving lots of room on the edges. It works great!!! If they miss the puppy pad it is so easy to clean! At night they both sleep in one crate next to our bed. Callie has never had an accident in there. When she needed out I would hear her stirring and take her out. Now she and Cody both sleep throuh the night! Yay! :D

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I would go the Xpen route - they are the perfect size for a Chihuahua. If you have it in a corner of a room it shouldn't feel like it is taking up much space. Plus having it against a wall or two will stop it from being drafty and making Pup cold. I bought mine at K's Merchandise for about $25. Also if you get it and you really don't have a need for it because Kemo and Pup get along swimmingly from the start, you can always just return it.

I may have better advice for you after this weekend when I bring Lola home but for right now I just wanted to say that things like this have a way of working out. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is the girl chi I may look at soon, she is precious.....We dont want a long coat per say but I am trying to fnd out if both parents were, If her coat stayed like this then we might do it! Isnt that face precious??

I have had my hopes dashed so much this week, I aint getting excited yet, just wanted to share her sweetness! :)

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
She's beautiful! :)

I thought all long haired chis looked like that when they were puppies. No? :?: I also heard it can take up to 3 years for their full coats to come in. :?

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
it can take up to 3 years for their hair but I am guessing that that pup is baout 16 weeks and mine were alot hairer then she just looks like she has the long hair around her ears :wave:

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Oh I see. Cody and Callie are my first long haired chis and I really don't know that much about them. Cody is 6 months and looks a lot like Stinky as far as his hair goes. Although his hair is getting a lot fuller and his tail is getting bushier. Callie is only 3 months but her coat seems a lot thicker than Cody's.

Sorry Kemo's Mama. I didn't mean to hijack your thread. :oops: Good luck with your search. And like someone else said, these things do tend to work themselves out. :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
I also vote for the x-pen idea. If you have to leave her for any length of time, she has potty room as well as a crate to sleep in. It's working great for Chico. Kemo wouldn't have to be seperated from his food or interrupt his schedule too much and the new pup would have her own space, too.

It may only take a few days for Kemo to except her so a baby playpen might be a more affordable choice unless you want to use the x-pen for traveling. We do alot of outdoor stuff and we've been taking Chico's X-pen and crate with us. When we get to the lake we set it up and he's right at home.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I sent the breeder a LONG list of questions I need answered. She just said she was "older" waiting to see what older is!! She is cheaper than the others, said her legs were long.....I am anxious for a recent pic.
I tell ya the breeders I have encountered are like pulling teeth to get info. Its like they answer some of the questions not all. This lady actually has answered my questions thus far.....funny though they arent asking me any questions.....maybe cause they know I have a chi already. :?:
she is a red Brindle.....oh look at the white paws, I see nail clipping may not need a flashlight on this one LOL

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Oh my she has such a sweet little face!

What an adorable little baby.
Let us know her age and weight and stuff.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
She does look like she has longer legs like the breeder said. My Cody is built the same way. I was kind of disappointed at first but now I think he is beautiful. I can post some of his leggy pics if you want to get an idea of what she will look like when older. :D Just let me know.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I dont mind the leggy look, clothes will fit better! hehehheeh I am waiting for her to write back this is killing me. :p

·
Registered
450 Posts
Awww she is so cute! She kinda reminds me of a little lion/tiger cub, she is definately cute! *keepin my fingers crossed for ya* pssst... get a girl.. they are fast learners! :lol:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
joebeans said:
She kinda reminds me of a little lion/tiger cub, she is definately cute!
Yes she does.....LOL that is so right. Yeah we want a girl first preference.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts