Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We go to another different dog park today. It was me and the neighbors and our 3 chis.

There are 3 parks, small, med, and large for the dogs all fenced in. So as we are in the small one for the dogs This lady and her HUGE dog starts to walk towards the small park. I am already paranoid now. Yoda doesnt like dogs at all. He comes crying to me since what happened last time. Well i see her and SHE IS COMING IN TO THE SMALL PARK WITH THIS HUGH A** DOG.

As soon as she walks in my neighbor says " Excuse me miss, But there is a larger park for dogs your size" Totally not being rude at all. She says "And?" And my friend goes "well, you dog is large and there are tons of small dogs in here and your dog makes me uncomfortable. She says Oh well he wont hurt anyone, then i stepped in and said well the greyhound wasnt suppose to hurt my baby then he attacked both of us...She said well if he becomes a problems then i will remove him... THE SIGN SAYS FOR SMALL DOGS ONLY , WHY CANT PEOPLE LISTEN !!!!!!!!!! She pissed me off so bad. Yoda wouldnt even come off my lap and we had to leave. I am trying so hard to make him comfortable towards other dogs and its not working. He is scared to death of other dogs now. What do I do??? I dont want him to start nipping people.

·
Registered
820 Posts
sheesh...how lame was that lady? so inconsiderate.
i dont have any helpful advice...but i hope yoda gets
better<3

·
Registered
897 Posts
Why is it that so many people seem to think they are above the rules?? I have zero tolerance for people like that. :evil:

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
dog park

Was the medium and large dog park areas over crowded or somtehing? Or was this lady just pure ignorant? They need to put up a sign saying they will fine owners of dogs that are larger than a certain weight or height in those specific areas. Then you could just call and report them :D

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I would have picked that woman up and tossed her right outta there. But I understand... she was being a witch!!! I can't even imagine trying to take a big dog into a little dog "enclosure" in that situation. Did she say WHY she was trying to take her dog in there instead of the medium or big dog area?

I can't remember where you live (if I ever knew to begin with) but do you have a chi-meetup group in your area? Those are great ways to socialize your dog with other chis and in Austin, they're held at peoples' houses that have large back yards (since the dog parks proved to be a bad experience).

You also might want to find someone with a large dog that you know and like to re-introduce Yoda to his larger counterparts. He'd probably fight you and you'd have to force it on him. I'd have him hanging out with the bigger dog until he feels somewhat safe walking around it and maybe even likes the dog (don't hold your breath! LOL) You really don't want to leave him with that impression of large dogs because his fear can manifest itself into unsocial behavior, as well as strange behavior and different fears.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I have just one word for that big dog woman... b-itch. Why would any responsible dog owner want to behave that way? I guess the key word there is "responsible." Some people just can't see past their own selfish needs.

I do think it's important for Yoda to become well socialized. Lily used to fear all dogs - big ones in particular. She's fine now with most dogs - especially the bigger ones. Yesterday on our walk we encountered another chi (maybe 6 pounds) and a west highland puppy (maybe 4 1/2 pounds). Lily was scared to death of both of them and wouldn't even sniff them. If it's a 50 or 60 pound dog I have to hold her back to keep her from following them home. :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts