Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to see the chi pups tomorrow morning. Had a few questions.
The girl was born on march 19th. He was born on march 31st. I am wondering if she will want to keep her a while longer as she is not quite 8 wks(the girl) but verrry close or if she will offer for me to take her home right then, if... i decide on her. What would you guys think I should say if she does. She will be 53 days old tomorrow i believe. It is about a 45 min. drive for me one way. I would like opinions on this AND.. what should I look for? I will check out mom and dad obviously but as far as on the pups themselves?
Give me a list and I will be diligent to scope everything out , i dont' want to get all sappy over the cuteness of them and then forget to check out super important things. lol
Thanks all! I'm so excited!!!!!!!!:D

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
OK, so, I used to have a different opinion on when puppies should go to their new homes, I thought 8 weeks was fine. I got Trigger at 8 weeks but he was 2+ lbs. He was strong because his breeder had been letting him run around the fenced portion of their farm for a week or so, and he was feeding well and had been weaned since 6 weeks. I never had any trouble with him.

With Bryco, day 1 at 10 weeks of age = hypoglycemia. He's much smaller, at 1 lb 1 oz at 10 weeks, but even still, the standard chi pup will be in that range - 1.5 lbs at 8 weeks, and that's VERY small. If you can't consistently feed your little one and be there to watch out for it 24/7, I really would encourage you to wait. Pups need to be with mom and littermates till at least 8 weeks no matter what, including this little girl. If she's small, you should wait even if shes offered to you, but put a deposit or the breeder can still sell her!

Feel for the pup's molera, watch how it carries its tail (preference, but make sure its something you like!), observe any bowel movements that might be puppy related...if they're pee pad trained there will probably be a poo or two on it. If they are sloppy and loose, its best to wait until the breeder gets that sorted out. Check to see if any dewclaws have grown back...it can and does happen...its not cheap to get them removed from an older dog (in this case anything over a week of age) and is considered amputation! Watch the puppy walk and make sure its stable. Make sure there is no limping or skipping in either of the parents as it might denote bad knees. Puppy probably would not have issues so young with this, but it never hurts to look.

We can't wait to hear what happens1

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Its hard. I would have loved to have watched Bryco and his brother grow up another month or two and picked then, but guess what? Right as I walked out with Bryco, someone came in and bought his brother, lol. It sucks, but most breeders will not hold a pup for someone who is "interested" as many people are and they sometimes don't take them seriously. If you see a picture of a pup you like, you need to go see them soon, or place a deposit on it before you ever go see it and take that risk. Otherwise disappointments are inevitable :-/ I'm sorry for you though, that really stinks.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
lol a joke :) just curious why its so hard to get a chi from a breeder. u call the breeder make an appt , go there and meet the pups no? i dont get why most people just go there to meet THAT one pup and depriving the rest of them. :( poor chis!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I got Bella at like 11 weeks and I got Libby at 8 weeks. Bella has been so much easier to potty train!!! Maybe their personality, but I have also heard that when you take them away too early, they aren't getting as much discipline from their mother and therefore can have more behavioral issues?? Does anyone else know anything else about this?? If it is true, it will kinda show why Libby is more rebellious and Bella was not.

I think it is safer to wait until she is a bit older.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it's not as easy as that for me apparently.
First of all, it is not easy finding a decent breeder. Then females have been harder to find. All of the chi's I have found for sale have been a decent distance away from me 45 min away and farther. All of the breeders i've talked 2 (3 in all) have jobs, so I have to work in my work schedule with theirs. Plus I have 3 children.. My oldest child goes to school in another area, so I have to get her every day which means I have to be home to do that. It's not as easy as it seems. To get everyones schedules to mesh.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
That's a shame about the little girl - are you considering the little boy? he's very cute and boys are so loving!! It does take time to find a chi from a breeder you are happy with - I could buy 100 chis tomorrow if I went on Ireland's main dog selling site, but I have learned to be more choosy, I had to travel 200 miles round trip to get my last two!

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She is no longer available. The breeder just told me this morning. I posted it but I guess you didn't see it. :( I am pretty set on a girl so, now I dont know what is next. There aren't any near my price range around that I know of.

I am really not interested in the boy. I love boys but I have a male boxer and for our pack i really feel a girl would be best. Plus that is what I want.;)

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
She is no longer available. The breeder just told me this morning. I posted it but I guess you didn't see it. :( I am pretty set on a girl so, now I dont know what is next. There aren't any near my price range around that I know of.

I am really not interested in the boy. I love boys but I have a male boxer and for our pack i really feel a girl would be best. Plus that is what I want.;)
Awww sorry I am reading way to fast and getting ahead of myself. The right chi girl will be out there somewhere, just keep on looking!

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Keep looking. :) Don't settle for what you don't want. Even if it takes 6 months. I looked for a few months before I found Lexie, then it took 3 or 4 months after that to find my second, then 7 months after that to find my third, and 9 months after that to find my 4th. Reason for that is, because I wanted what I wanted. :D When you come across another one that you like, post some pics. And I'm very sorry about the little girl being gone. Breeders won't hold them without a deposit, and they go pretty quick. But your baby is coming, you'll see.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
lol a joke :) just curious why its so hard to get a chi from a breeder. u call the breeder make an appt , go there and meet the pups no? i dont get why most people just go there to meet THAT one pup and depriving the rest of them. :( poor chis!
Idk, in our area, pups go really fast. Trigger's entire litter of 6 had deposits placed on them by 3 weeks of age!!!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Sorry your having a hard time!
They do sell very quick and you have to act fast.
Too bad your not in Canada Apple Jack has a sister who looks just like him and she is still not rehomed because the breeder is being picky. ( I don't blame her!)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts