Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I screwed up when i got arwen, my oldest chihuahua, my husband was working two jobs, and because of our living situation i couldn't just stick her in another to room to cry it out, i let her sleep in my bed, and i love it. Now my newest puppy also sleeps with me at night, my husband works nights and the bed would be really lonely without them. But i have to find a way to potty train them both... I am unwilling to crate them, as they never have been, nor am i willing to hit my dogs. Please someone help me,there has to be a way

·
Registered
946 Posts
I wish I could say I knew of another way, but I don't. Crate training is IMO the only way to be efficient and effective. The dogs (again IMO) appreciate the security and can catch on to what you are asking easily in comparison to roaming free with no direction. You might want to reconsider your stand on crate training. :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
as melanie said, crate training its the only wy, unless you can be around them the whole day to give them direction even that its hard because youll have a LOT of accidents, y trained to use pee wee pads, its hard, and you have to keep a good eye on them, you kan use the drops, they really help

·
Registered
206 Posts
It is possible to condition extremely positive emotion towards the crate, and still have them sleep in the bed at night. Unless... Are they peeing in the bed at night? Or are you such a light sleeper you won't wake up if they do?

If crating is not an option, and you won't consider it at all, then maybe tethering to you and lots of leashed walks to a potty spot (pop out the door, pop back in) is your next best bet. And when I say lots, I mean LOTS... Like every hour at first, every 2 hours, then 3, and so on.

You'll have to either invest the time in conditioning the dogs to a crate (a clicker, some treats, and patience...) or you'll invest the time in taking them out a lot. Either is fine, really, depending what you prefer. If you don't mind running dogs out a lot, and not being able to leave the house without them until they learn, then that works. If you've got a less flexible schedule, crating is likely to be most successful.

Good luck! :)

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Are you asking because they go to the bathroom on your bed? Odie was crate trained at first (only at night and when we went out for an hour or so), but it didn't last long. Other than that she's been trained without the help of a crate, and she's been sleeping on our bed for a long time. Are you looking to train them to go outside or use pee pads?

·
Registered
688 Posts
mine dont sleep in a crate they sleep in my bed, have never hit them or anything. They know when i say "potty time" that im going 2 let them go out so they can do there business. During the day they have free range 2 go in and out with our doggie door, but at night they sleep in my bed, have had maybe 1 or 2 accidents on the bed but all i said was bad n said no and they pretty much learned not on the bed.Now theres never accidents, but i do take em out at night several times before we go 2 sleep, then first thing in the morning when i wake up they go out for potty time again. gl hope it wprks out for u.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, they have never had a single accident in the bed, its more of them sneaking off into a corner of the house when I'm not home, my husband sleeps all day. They will go outside, i just want them to go on a pee pad if they have no other options available to them. I couldn't crate train arwen because she has slept with me well over a year, and bella has for a few months now. and they get super excited when they know its time to go to bed...

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I never used a crate or hit bijoux. It just meant that when I was home I had to watch her like a hawk she couldn't be out of my site for a moment and when I noticed her circling I took her right to the pad.

At night I put a pad in my room and closed the door so she couldn't leave.she also sleeps with me in bed at night. During the day put her in a smaller space so she wouldn't pee all over the house.

Bijoux was potty trained in like 3 days, but she also came to me 1/2 pad trained from her breeder lol

·
Registered
688 Posts
That is how i can tell when my girls had 2 go cause they circle and sniff, so it helps 2 watch them 2 see how they act before they need 2 potty. Freeda turns n turns n turns till she finds the spot lol

I never used a crate or hit bijoux. It just meant that when I was home I had to watch her like a hawk she couldn't be out of my site for a moment and when I noticed her circling I took her right to the pad.

At night I put a pad in my room and closed the door so she couldn't leave.she also sleeps with me in bed at night. During the day put her in a smaller space so she wouldn't pee all over the house.

Bijoux was potty trained in like 3 days, but she also came to me 1/2 pad trained from her breeder lol

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
If they aren't going in your bed, then I don't see why them sleeping with you instead of in a crate would be a problem. I also have to admit that Odie came to us half trained to use a pee pad. As I said before, she's 100% pee pad trained and we also never used any kind of negative reinforcement or crate training except for sleeping in the beginning.

I think reducing the amount of space available to them is really the key if you don't want to crate train. When we first brought Odie home, we were able to contain her to just a small living room with a hardwood floor, where we spent most of our time and could watch her like a hawk. Until we were confident in her training progress, when we left the house she was confined to an even smaller space in a large dog play pen. On one side was her crate, and food and water, and on the other side was a pee pad. It worked great because it was enough room for her to play with her toys, but not enough that she had a lot of pee spot choices.

We're in the same boat as you now, because we want her to only use pee pads when she has to. I have to say that treats have been helping a lot. We use the ziwipeak treats, because we can rip off smaller pieces to give her. We only give them to her if she goes outside. We don't scold her for using the pee pads, but we only use positive reinforcement when she goes outside.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
i just want them to go on a pee pad if they have no other options available to them.
What we just did with our Maltese, but I would do it with a new chichuahua if I got one--She picked a spot that she seemed to go to, so we put a pupply pad in that spot. She had free run of the house when we were home because we watched her like a hawk. If we left or could not watch her she went in a play pen with her bed and toys at one end and puppy pad at the other. Funny thing, she never wanted to use that puppy pad--she would hold it until she could go to the puppy pad we put down in the house. She trained very easy. She now has the run of the house whether we are here or not and sleeps with my parents and never has an accident and she is 9 months old.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you so much for the answers, i just get a lot of judgement from people if one of my dogs has an accident in the house (mainly from my parents) they jump to conclusions about me being a bad "pack leader" and that my dogs must just be ill behaved, and it breaks my heart. i have good good girls. and i want people to see it, i don't know if that makes sense?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thank you so much for the answers, i just get a lot of judgement from people if one of my dogs has an accident in the house (mainly from my parents) they jump to conclusions about me being a bad "pack leader" and that my dogs must just be ill behaved, and it breaks my heart. i have good good girls. and i want people to see it, i don't know if that makes sense?
accidents are common, and training an older dog to do that its difficult, thats why starting early its important, but you shouldn't be judged if they have an accident

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
You have to clean up those "accidents" really well with an enzyme cleaner. I would suggest that you block off areas where there are rugs when the chi-s are on their own--prevent the temptation. Make sure that the piddle pad is in the same place for them and clean at aLL times. Be consistant. Give a very tiny treat for using the piddle pad..straight away--catch them at it and give the treat.;)

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Please be sure to read the next 2 post after you posted the above. They are both correct. Accidents happen--especially in the situation you are in with Arwen being older and it sounds like somehow has developed that habit of going in a corner when you are gone. Your dogs are not ill behaved at all. Do what Rubia said and clean that area very well with an enzyme cleaner to take away the scent that keeps attracting to that area. Then start your consistent and aggresive positive training to where you decide whether it is outside or puppy pad. With the way you described how excited they get to go to bed with you--you can praise and clap and love on and treat good behavior and have them trained before you know it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts