Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently adopted a new chi who I have been told is 2 1/2 years old. All we have been told is that he was a found as a stray. We have figured out that he knows most commands in french and are working on training him in english. The problem is that before we got him from his foster home he was housebroken. We had a few "incidents" when he first arrived but chalked it up to be a dominance thing (we have female chi and two male cats as well). However, nearly a month later we are still having "incidents" on a regular basis. I have tried to take him for walks, treats, pee pads, etc. and nothing seems to be working. Does anyone have any ideas on how to housebreak him?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Is he neutered? This could help immensely (or even cure the problem completely). And be sure to clean all the "incident" spots with vinegar and water or a product such as Nature's Miracle, so that your pup won't want to re-use those same areas. :)

Also, where does your female Chi go to potty? Pads or outside? And where was this pup trained to go potty at the foster home? If your female uses pads and your new pup was trained for outside pottying, he could be confused about where he's supposed to go if he sees your other pup doing something that he was not trained to do.

Another thing you could try is a belly band. The males wear them while they are inside the house and it deters them from peeing. If you are training him to go outside, then this could help, as you would only remove the band when you bring him outside to potty.

Maybe someone else will post some other ideas. :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Were the foster parents kenneling him during the day? My guess is he's either marking territory or peeing where your other dogs had accidents when they were puppies... which is kind of the same thing. I have no clue how to housebreak an older dog ...

Maybe Cooper could talk to him. Cooper speaks French as well, actually, he's fluent in it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maria (my female 2.5 year old) is trained to go outside and has never had any accidents in this house. For that matter, no dog that has ever visited has had any acidents in the house. We clean up everything with an animal spot and spray scent remover. From what I understand Chez was given full freedom of the apartment in his foster home and was taken outside for walks (off leash and on leash) for his bathroom breaks. We have had success with most #1s lately but hardly ever any #2s. There seems to be no reasoning to why or when he goes in the house.

where would you find a belly band? are they expensive?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Belly bands can be found at pet stores. I've never bought one, but I wouldn't think that they cost very much. Some vet clinics may even carry them. :)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Having had a chi rescue in the past, I can tell you that in my experience they are usually much more difficult to housebreak. It's not so much the age factor as the emotional issues. A lot of the time they have been mistreated or neglected at least to some extent. It takes a lot of patience and love to overcome that.

I was told when I adopted Tia that she was housebroken, but I had to start over from the beginning with her, and it took well over 4 months to train her and start to earn her trust. My advice - start at the beginning as if you were training a puppy and be patient and consistant. It will take time, but it is so, so worth it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rescue foundation had Chez neutered so we don't believe its a dominance thing. However we do think that he may have been abused by a male in the past. He is quite defensive with each new male he meets. But as soon as he realizes that they won't hurt him he is quite affectionate. We have started to train him as we did with our other chi but only with a little success. Thank you for the words of encouragement. We will keep you updated with Chez's success.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i've had a lot of rescue dogs and patience is definately the key, especially if they've been abused. i would try confining him to a smaller area of the house or in a crate when you are not home. and then just keep an eye on him while he's roaming the house. you just have to really watch over him and catch him in the act and immediately bring him outside or to his potty pads(whichever you're doing). good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts