Chihuahua People Forum banner

Does your chihuahua pee or poop in the house?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Only on weewee pad or newspaper

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about anybody else, but Vida still poops and pees inside the house. :oops: She is totally trained to go outside and she does go outside, but when we are gone and in the night, she always poops or pees somewhere in the house.

We used to have weewee pads that she used pretty well. Then I put newspapers underneath the weewee pad and she then knew to go on the newspaper. She has always peed on rugs in our house. Exspecially our bedroom rug. We have scolded her, but when we find where she has peed or pooped it isn't the right time to scold her because it is usually a while after she did it. We have tried scolding her after the fact, but it doesn't work.

She has 4 differen't places in the house that she poops, and three places where she pees. One place is where I have newspapers. That is where she is supposed to go. The other is on tile, where her newspapers used to be. Another is the rug in the bathroom, and the other is in our bedroom (two seperate spots). The bedroom rug is covered in her pee. We have used a rug cleaner many times, but it doesn't take the smell out. We scold her for peeing or pooping in all the spots, except for the newspapers. I have tried puting treats near the newspaper when she uses it, but that doesn't seem to work.

She is three years old, so I have basically givin up. I know I am not consistant all the time, but even when I was consistant when she was young, it didn't work. I did get her to stop peeing and pooping in our living room. We had gotten a brand new rug, and she peed and pooped on it three times. Each time, we spanked her and put her in her crate for two hours. My mom mentioned that it might be because she was mad at us. I gave her so much attention the days after and she hasn't peed or pooped in there ever since.

We let her outside every morning, before we go to work, when we get home from work, in the evening, and before we go to bed. Sometimes we are gone for 10 or 11 hours during the day. That is why it is o.k. for her to use the newspapers.

So, I was wondering if anyone else had or has this issue; nad if anyone has any advice for me. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I wish I did have some advice for you, my dogs are adults and are not house broken. :oops: Willie marks everything if I turn my back, and Mully uses newspaper if it suits her mood at the moment. Since her babies' birth, she has gotten worse about going wherever she pleases :oops: I buy paper towels and Natures Miracle in bulk.
It is my fault since we lived in a 4th floor apartment when I got them, I paper trained them. When we moved 7 months ago, it just made both of them pretty much forget what the newspapers are for.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
ok, i ent the attic from my mother and step father. it is like a studio apartment sized room up there and it's finished (rug furniture ect... it doesn't look like an attic except the sloping ceiling/walls but it's roomy) i have 2 wee wee pads up there. i started off with one by the tv and she would use it every so often. for the longest time i was like wow this dog don't pee or poop a lot, until i was cleaning one day and seen she was going behind my rocking chair. so since my findings lol i put a wee wee pad there and she stopped using the one by the tv altogether. she started going by the one dresser too so i put a wee wee pad there and i've looked all over that room for other areas but she hasn't created any more spots where she goes. just on the 2 wee wee pads. it was a g=prefrence thing i guess for where she wanted to go... although sometimes she won't go all the way on the pad but her front paws are on it, i usually give her a little push to get fully on.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That makes me feel a little better. I have heard of other chihuahua's being the same way. It is hard because it isn't too much of an inconveinience. I sort of feel like I have control because she only has 4 different spots that she goes in. If it was a bigger dog, with bigger poop it would be different.

·
Registered
538 Posts
No, neither of my babies ever go in the house. I'm so lucky. They are both very well trained to go outside only. They are both alone during the day for 8+ hours while we are at work, and they hold it. I don't really know what to tell you, as I've not had this problem. I do believe that consistency is the key, and I know that I've read on here that a lot of people do the pee pad or newspaper and then try to go outside from there. In my opinion this is confusing for the dog. I trained both of mine to go outside from the very beginning and have had no problems. Maybe sometimes you don't have a choice and must do the pee pads first, but I think if you have a choice, it's better to just go straight outside, if that's how you want to end up.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Sorry, mychibaby, I have to disagree with you on the pee pad issue. I started training Jasmine on the pads as soon as I brought her home at 8 weeks of age. She learned very quickly that this is where she is supposed to go. We used pads exclusively until she was a little over 3 months, and I started taking her outside. She will now go outside when I take her out, but I also leave the pads down at night, and if I am going to be gone for a while during the day, and she uses them. So, it is possible to train to do both.

When I went back to work April through June of this year, I was very glad she would use the pads. Sure saved my carpets!

Vida's mom, I'm not sure what to advise. I can tell you from my experience, and everything I've ever read on the subject, that patience and consistency are the keys to successful housebreaking. I also don't think that spanking your dog helps. There are a lot of ways to correct, without spanking. JMHO

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Bella is 29 months old and she will go to the bathroom in the house...I find if I put her in the bathroom with her pads and bed and water/food when I go out she will use the pads but if she needs to go during the night and I don't hear her get out of my bed...my sewing room will be her target LOL I have just accepted it as I really do not want to crate her at night...I toilet her right before bed and for the most part...she waits until morning.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Is the food and water kept out In the beginning i took food and water off the floor at 8pm. this way during the night they didnt go after they were put out before bed. I let them out fed and watered before i left for work. let them out again took food and water up. when igot home they were free fed and watered till 8 or 11 pm depending on if it were a weekend or not. now that i am home 24/7. Sturgis and Lady are not permitted to roam downt the hall into bedrooms no animals should be permitted to raom until bounedries are set. I keep a gate up going down the hallway to the rest of the house. then i move it to the kitchen at night that is where they sleep i leave a pad on the floor all the time in the kitchen Lady will use it if need be. lol Sturgis thinks thats where heis supposed to eat his cookies :dontknow:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts