Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone tried those chips -- ruffles, doritos, tostitos, lays -- that are fat free made with olestra?

i bought a bag yesterday and didnt realize that the reason they were no fat was because of the olestra. i've heard some nasty things about this ingredient so i was just wondering if anyone has had any bad experiences with it. :wave: i'm on a real health kick and i've been trying to eat healthier.... but i have a super sweet spot for SALTY snacks!! :D

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
well all i know is olestra is not approed in the uk, which i actualy read in a book yesterday called the diet bible. i found this doing a search on it over the internet

Olestra Is the generic name for hexa-, hepta- and octa-esters of sucrose - trade name Olean (Procter & Gamble). It is intended as a fat substitute in foods and in processing, including frying and baking. Since it is not digested or absorbed and passes through the body unchanged, it has the potential to reduce the intake of energy from dietary fats as is recommended by various health authorities. It also has a small effect on reducing blood levels of cholesterol.

After 25 years research involving 100 studies on animals and 98 on human beings approval was given by the US Food and Drug Administration in Jan 1996 for use of olestra as a partial replacer of fats in certain snack foods, subject to specified US labelling conditions and fortification with fat-soluble vitamins. At the time it was a requirement that the label must also state that olestra may cause abdominal cramping and loose stools. That approval was reviewed and confirmed in June 1998. However, in August 2003 the FDA, after a scientific review of several post-market studies, concluded that the latter label statement was no longer warranted, and issued a final rule to that effect.

Fortification is necessary because some of the fat-soluble vitamins present in the intestine at the same time, especially A and E and also carotenoids, are preferentially dissolved in olestra and so partially lost to the body. Olestra is not yet approved in the UK and there is no application currently pending.

[Special Note: This Information Statement represents an IFST overview of the present position in relation to this topic, and does not imply that IFST has adopted a position regarding the use of olestra].
taken from http://www.ifst.org/hottop13.htm the Institute of Food Science & Technology, 5 Cambridge Court, 210 Shepherd's Bush Road, London W6 7NJ, UK.
mia
x

·
Registered
109 Posts
I ALWAYS BUY THE FAT FREE PRINGLES WITH OLESTA...I DONT NOTICE ANY DIFFERENCE IN TASTE OR ANYTHING ELSE.....WITH NO FAT TO ITS GREAT

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Do not always believe they are fat free, if most products say they are check the sugar because sugar turns into fat! so the company is just trying to fool you and you instantly think "wow, no fat means easier to lose weight!" please dont fall for it because it is more hard work in the long run! good luck!
xfayex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts