Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new pet shop opened up in a nieghboring town to where I live. My friend and I were shopping and thought we would stop in there and check the place out. They had tons of puppies and thier prices are outrageous. They have 3 chi pups in there. One of the pups they claim is 15 weeks old and 4 lbs. Looks like a rat terrier to me. They are asking $2000 for it. Then there is another chi pup that is supposed to be 15 weeks also that looks like its maybe 4-5 weeks and OF COURSE they claim its a teacup. They are asking $3500 for that one. And the 3rd chi pup they claim is 18 weeks and it already has its adult teeth. They are asking $800 for that one. Then to top it all off, they claim that all three pups are from the same litter.

I being the big mouth that I am had fun asking the workers there about the pups. Then I asked a bunch of questions that I knew they couldnt answer. I can not believe that these people act like they are sooooo intelligent when they are sooooo ignorant. I asked the one girl about the pup they claim is a teacup. Asked her if she knew that there is no such thing and she actually argued with me. GRRRR!!!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
That's outrageous, I wouldn't indulge these people by paying that price even if I had the money. I wouldn't ever buy a puppy from a petshop anyway though, who knows where those poor pups came from with all the puppy mills these days :(
Poor puppies....

Good for you challenging them about it though, and asking lots of questions, some of these places deserve to be made to look stupid. :roll:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hate petshops that sell puppies. We have a petland in our town and Im not allowed in there anymore. I get really ticked off when it comes to those poor puppies. I just had to share my experience with that place though.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Why aren't you allowed? Is it out of choice or did you give em trouble? :lol:
I hate petshops that sell puppies/kittens too, thank goodness I've never seen them in petshops where I live but I hear its more common in the South. :?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Well, clearly they are stupid if they are saying they are from the same litter and then turning around and saying that 2 of them are 15 wks and 1 of them is 18 wks. :roll:

It's terrible what these places do to their pups, and to the people that buy them also. :evil: They are getting all these peoples' extra money when they could do so much better. Bless those poor pups.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
be careful about going into places like those, you can bring in illness into your home.

i hate petshops like that. grrrr..... :evil:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I knew someone who lived in Japan and chihuahua's are very popular there, as well as other small breeds. They sell for around $3500.00. :blob7: But, you can't put a price on love, right?

Recently, there was a show on PBS and this Japanese girl had been given money for her graduation to buy a new car and she bought a chi instead! They didn't interview her parents on this documentary. I wonder what they thought.....

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Odd

I was in a pet store today that had a AKC longhaired chi pup for $650.00 and a Yorkie that was CKC for $1500.00?? I thought this was odd?

·
Registered
854 Posts
The only way I would pay that kind of price is from a breeder and the dog was champion show dog and I was getting him for breeding!! Holy cow that's outrageous!!

I bought Eddy from a pet shop.. but that was because I knew the owners ( they live in another city however)The girls at the shop told me he was from a breeder and I could get his papers from them.. Ya right! The "Breeder" was trying to get me to pay $150 for the papers. I told her that was illegal and that if she was CKC accreditted she could lose her membership with them for charging for papers. She just laughed and said she had never belonged to the CKC so it didn't matter! Ooooh I hit the roof and she got quite the earfull I tell you. I was really quite miffed!

When it came to buying Emma I had to get her shipped to me because there were no registered breeders in Saskatchewan, but the breeder I dealt with was great... even faxed me her pedigree line before making the purchase. Odd thing is I paid the same amount for a registered dog as I did from the pet shop and they couldn't even prove he was purebred ( although he is)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
well 650 isn't bad, thats how much i paid for scoot, we were looking at various pet stores, just to see what they had, well wouldn't you know, that they had "teacups" for like 1000.. i got ticked and left,
which is how we found scoots owner, she is a private shop.. in a way, like she is not listed in any phone books, and she is good friends with the breeders she gets her dogs from.. and she had like.. 6 chi's.. they were all cute.. and the little ones, she didn't call them teacups. she calls them "smaller chi's" which i find a pretty good terminology, she said she couldn't say that they would be a certain weight, plus she owns 2 chi's herself so a lot of questions we asked she awnsered from a personal perspective, and not like something right out of the breed standard!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Petshops are horrible!! My step-sister bought a kitten from a petshop and the poor little kitty was so sick with worms it took $200 to get her better. She went back to the petshop with the vet receipts and they wouldn't re-imburse her...instead they offered to take the now HEALTHY kitten back and give her another kitten (who was probably sick) :roll: Those people were class A morons! :x

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
"well 650 isn't bad, thats how much i paid for scoot"

I think that $650.00 was a good price. I just couldnt understand why a AKC was $650.00 and a CKC was $1500.00, that was what didnt make since to me? :wave:

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
My gosh! But, we all know that some moron with money to burn is going to go in there and buy that "teacup" pup. It's ridiculous! It's not just petshops that charge that kind of money though. There are breeders on the net that want to charge an arm and a leg (and half your kidney) for a puppy. My bf said we could get another pup after Christmas this year so I've been looking around for breeders that might have newborn pups ready around that time...some of them are wanting like thousands of dollars for a DOG. And it's not even a champion or have champion parents! It makes me sick!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pinkprincess21 said:
My gosh! But, we all know that some moron with money to burn is going to go in there and buy that "teacup" pup. It's ridiculous! It's not just petshops that charge that kind of money though. There are breeders on the net that want to charge an arm and a leg (and half your kidney) for a puppy. My bf said we could get another pup after Christmas this year so I've been looking around for breeders that might have newborn pups ready around that time...some of them are wanting like thousands of dollars for a DOG. And it's not even a champion or have champion parents! It makes me sick!
I dont know where in Illinois you are located but I know some one in Rockford that breeds Chis. They are really great people. Usually dont charge much. The chis are pretty small. If you are interested let me know and I can get thier info and pass it along to you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts