Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I arrived at the stables today to find a dead pigeon in the horses field and feathers all over the place.

I had to ask OH to pick it up with the shavings fork and put it in the wheelbarrow. My intention was to poo pick covering it up and then putting it on the muck heap.

Well when OH picked it up its head was missing and there was a 2ft line of what looked like sinew dangling from it.. with what looked like a brain on the end of it...

Now I can watch gory operations and such on TV but this turned my stomach, it was so gruesome...

My thoughts were, what killed it and ate its head, a fox, but then how was it caught. Maybe it was injured I dunno but ugh... my stomach.... :pukeright:

Deme x

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Oh yikes, Deme! That does sound gross! Sorry you had to see that. :(

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am so pleased I never took Jake and Red with me, the thought of them grabbing it.. no no don't even think it....

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Oh yeah, I agree. Ick! No telling what it could have had!

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I've seen a sparrowhawk attack a pigeon ,it just pecked at it trying to pull it apart ,may have been that.YUCK

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Poor little bird. And poor you for having to see that!!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
That is how owl's eat their pray. The reason owls have the whole "wise" thing is that on larger prey (say something bigger than a mouse) they pretty much just eat the head/brains.

We had pet ducks growing up and a few times this happened when we couldn't get them to come inside at night. Sometimes it was exactly as you described othertimes a vv neat little hole was drilled in their head almost like the owl had sucked the brains out with a straw! To the best of my knowledge this is the only reason not more of the pigeon would've been eaten.

So now you know owls aren't really smart...they just eat brains!

·
Registered
912 Posts
That is how owl's eat their pray. The reason owls have the whole "wise" thing is that on larger prey (say something bigger than a mouse) they pretty much just eat the head/brains.

We had pet ducks growing up and a few times this happened when we couldn't get them to come inside at night. Sometimes it was exactly as you described othertimes a vv neat little hole was drilled in their head almost like the owl had sucked the brains out with a straw! To the best of my knowledge this is the only reason not more of the pigeon would've been eaten.

So now you know owls aren't really smart...they just eat brains!
Thanks for the educational spin!!! ;) Lol, truly though, interesting. haha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts