Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've just read that on another forum. Think it was a bit silly of the rspca for letting him go there i thought they monitered them there for a few visits before letting them go.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
So heartbreaking. :(

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
OMG! I dont even know what to say. RIP sweetie, I hope it was as painless as possible :-(

·
Registered
266 Posts
Aren't pitbulls tending to be dog aggressive as they were originally bred as fighting dogs?.
Very sad, it doesn't seem like these people were given any good advice concerning this adoption.
I am concerned when they said something about "being warned about rescue dogs".
Rescue dogs are not all aggressive or a bad match.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I couldn't read it but it sounds so sad, R.I.P. little one

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Omg, my heart has just broken. That poor little baby. I do feel bad because it does give dogs like these and Pitt Bulls an even worse reputation than they already have. I have met many very sweet PB... so, obviously not all of them are aggressive. But you only hear about them when they are. It's just like when people stereotype our chi babies. I am so sad for this little Coco though. :(

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm sure most people know this, but I thought I would contribute.

When raised correctly any Bully Breed can be excellent with other dogs, however, just like most dogs their prey drive is really high. I can imagine that a Chi looks like a bunny or squirrel to them. I've known several pits who adored their small doggy house mates.....Literally protecting them from other dogs to the point they got into fights over it.

That rescue group should have done more temperament testing! It's horribly sickening that this rescue group has offered no apology towards the family!! I'm sure they are just going to blame it on the pit, but I say that rescue group should make a public apology to the family!!

On a side note my fav youtube video is about a Doberman and a Chi named Ramsey and Pablo. More proof that a well mannered, trained dog can live with creatures big and small.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
:sad5: omg :( That poor little angel! How sad. I feel bad for both dogs because there has to be a reason the other dog is so angry. He must have been brought up in a bad home as well. Just terrible. I feel so bad for the mom, bless her for trying to do a great thing and then boom something like that has to happen ;(

Aren't pitbulls tending to be dog aggressive as they were originally bred as fighting dogs?.
Very sad, it doesn't seem like these people were given any good advice concerning this adoption.
I am concerned when they said something about "being warned about rescue dogs".
Rescue dogs are not all aggressive or a bad match.
Pitbulls are great pets if raised right. Any dog can turn into a wild crazy dog that bites and attacks the innocent for no reason if raised poorly. It's just sad that any breed should have to go through that. I seriously can't stand people who can't respect animals. It's just sick. I agree with you not all rescue dogs are like this but most/some do have a lot of work due to their past being raised. We were looking into getting a puppy (Chi) but we've been thinking about getting one from the pound. They need us more.....

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
oh gosh how horrible that was to read and so sos sad. the owners of ht eChihuahua must be absolutely devestated and to see it all happen so quickly must be everyones nightmare.

My heart goes out to them

Deme

·
Registered
44 Posts
How absolutely horrible. :-(
We do a lot of work with rescue dogs out here, and it breaks my heart thinking of some of their previous lives: so many of them have such terrible, direct phobias you know they've just been terribly treated.
The group should at least issue an apology. Poor people.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
The rescue group was totally remiss in their responsibilities where the staffy was concerned. This is so very said and I feel so awful about the little chi. I will say, that while I don't think those breeds should be banned, I do think this particular scenario was a recipe for disaster. I think there was a little lapse in judgement on the part of the people to bring a full grown staffy rescue in knowing where it came from. JMO though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
while i agree that the situation was very sad, i do have to say that the rescue should've done a meet and greet with the entire family before letting that dog leave. i have a rescued pit bull, we got him from the humane society when he was 19 months old. we added him to our family of a rottie and 2 springers all of which we brought to the shelter before we ever took him hom. he's now almost 4 and has never once showed any signs of DA (dog aggression) we recently added bella to our family in january (her being our only female dog, our males are all neutered) and she beats up on him all the time, you'll most likely find her hanging off of his face with her teeth. he's so gentle with her and everybody. we walk all our dogs at the same time (it's a feat but it has to get done) and there is definently a difference in bella when she's walking with her "brothers" as opposed to walking by herself. she's much more confident in the world around her as she thinks nothing will hurt her with these big guys around. truth is, pits aren't bad dogs. they have a tendency to be aggressive with any dog especially when not properly socialized. i don't think i got lucky with my pit, who lives with 3 other male dogs and a little chihuahua. i think the media only highlights the negitive with this breed and disreguards the positive. i'm a groomer and even take him to work with me once a week, i have to rotate my dogs lol only 1 dog per day goes to work otherwise i watch them having so much fun and forget to work. that being said, just because a dog gets along good with your dog at the shelter doesn't mean it's personality won't change once you get it home, especially if you don't set up rules for the new dog. your basically asking that new dog to walk all over you and to do as he/she pleases. no dog would turn that kind of a deal down. there's so many factors that could've gone wrong but to blame pits/staffies and rescue dogs in general is crazy. it's called doing your homework. not every home is right for a pit, just like not every home is right for a chi or a lab. i applaud them for attempting to rescue such a misunderstood animal but you really have to research and be ready for the chance that there *could* be the chance that it will be DA. many are very sweet, loving and well trained and with the proper owners excel at being pets. i think this adoption went way wrong from the beginning on both sides of the fence and i really am sad for the poor little chi who had to suffer because of the humans mistakes. truely breaks my heart that not only the chi was killed but the staffie had to lose it's life to for doing what comes natural for SOME bullies. i think education could've changed everything :(

·
Registered
65 Posts
their heart was in the right place and i'm sad for what happened to their pet. but, i think chi owners (myself included) often forget just how tiny and delicate our dogs are and the playmates we select for them should really be of a similar size. while it's very heartwarming to see pics of ultra-large breeds kissing a chi and snuggling, the reality is that in one swift move any larger breed could eat a chi for lunch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
if not properly socialized. some big dogs don't know they're big dogs. it's like god played a cruel trick on them. they see this little chihuahua walking down the street and say "crap, i look like that?" while a chi sees a dane or a bully and says "hell ya! i look like that!!" but in all seriousness, big dogs have the capability to be gentle if trained. any dog any breed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts