Chihuahua People Forum banner

Would you buy a dog online "sight unseen" ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw one her options was buying a Chi off the internet or "online"
How do others feel about this? is this something many would be comfortable doing? (and I am not talking about seeing pics online and completing the transaction in person) I am talking about buying a dog essentially unseen and sending money to a stranger.

How many have done this with success? Have YOU done this? :lol:
I'm curious to hear the stories, I learned the hard way this does not often work out so well, people can say whatever they like and when you get that dog IF you get the dog and it's not what you thought, you are stuck!

I will personally never ever deal with anyone unless I can see them face to face talk to them face to face and really get a feeling for who they are. I think it's much safer for the doggies as well :D

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Nope never I don't trust anyone and my friends have been screwed over :) I also like to see the dogs character I think personality is a massive thing in fitting in

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Possibly, but only if it came from a breeder I trust. I know several very good breeders that are too far for me to travel, and who I know well from meeting at various shows and keep in touch with regularly online - But obviously that mean i'd have met one or both of the parents etc.

But from someone I didnt know, no way. Id never risk it.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
We got Roxy online.

I saw pictures of her and talked to the breeder then put a $25 deposit on her.

When she was ready to go, I drove to IL to pick her up and paid the remainder. I met the breeder (in person) and collected Roxy.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Well i got to visit Darla and Daisy a few times before i collected them.
Dillon on the other hand i had to just get pics and videos cause he was so far away.
I did also know of someone on here who had got a pup from his breeder the year before and said great things.
His breeder and i were always in touch right up till i collected him.
It worked out for me.

I would never send money and get the dog sent to me, too many scammers and also i want to see where they come from etc...

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I would do it if I was very familiar with the breeder and it was a highly ethical breeder. I have higher standards than most people when looking for a reputable/ethical breeder so if they are good enough to pass my standards then I'd have no problem with buying and shipping a pup from said breeder without meeting the pup in person (although I would not buy without seeing pics of the pup).

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I would do it if I was very familiar with the breeder and it was a highly ethical breeder. I have higher standards than most people when looking for a reputable/ethical breeder so if they are good enough to pass my standards then I'd have no problem with buying and shipping a pup from said breeder without meeting the pup in person (although I would not buy without seeing pics of the pup).
I agree with Val. I'd have to be very familiar with the breeder and heard really good things from others before I would buy sight unseen. I'd want to see a current video as well. In this day and age, there's no reason why you can't see the puppy move/play/interact on youtube or similar.

Having said that, 20 years ago I did buy Molly (Standard Poodle) sight unseen from a breeder in New Hampshire and had her shipped to me. She was a wonderful, perfect dog and I never regretted that. But I got to know her breeder through pics and phone calls and we both trusted each other.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
That is how I got Zoey, I saw her the day she was born and fell in love, about 4-5 weeks of begging, pleading, whining to my new hubby and he relented and we drove to Illinois when she was about 7 weeks old and picked her up. Never met her parents or saw the breeders home. Would I do it again, depends on if I actually trusted the breeder, I'm a lot more cautious now a days. I don't trust breeders as readily. My sister has had a couple of dogs shipped to her without problems. You have to know what to look for with scams, I see a lot on the internet on a classified ad place and you can totally tell they are scams.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
When I was looking for a show chi, there was one that on paper, was too good to be true. He came w/ a hefty pricetag ($2500), so I figured it would be OK to ask all the important questions -- health, bite, patellas, weight on a scale (photo of it), a picture of the dog stacked, etc.

The breeder spend 3 hours of my time on the phone with me, not finding out about me at all, he didn't even ask a single question about me, just prattled on about how great his dogs and himself were and how successful his 3 y.o. breeding program was, but there was really nothing to back it up, only one champ he finished himself, who wasn't bred by him, etc.

So I wanted to be sure about the puppy. Well...

He flipped his ****, lol. I mean, after hours and hours of my time just trying to find out basics about the puppy I was considering dropping close to $3k for after shipping, I never once got a decent picture of the puppy stacked, a picture of its bite, or any pictures of it moving or a side profile of its head.

Instead, I got flipped out at by him, saying I should read the bible and learn about treating people with respect and trusting them, and how DARE I imply he is a liar by asking for pictures, how DARE I take up his time, that my requests were OVER THE TOP, how DARE I ask him to explain the dog's personality, I should TRUST him because HE IS A REPUTABLE BREEDER and his dogs are the best and I am a miserable peon he was trying to help but he was going to no longer let me get the puppy. HAHA seriously? Crrrrazy.

So I will never again buy or try to buy a puppy I can't see unless I know the person personally and trust them. It was such a huge waste of time and I don't think my requests were even remotely exorbitant especially considering the price tag. Yeah right I am going to just bow at your feet and say you are right, you are god, you produce perfect dogs, please please let me have one :p

I've followed this puppy's progress VIA Akc and they have yet to get it pointed (he is now over a year old).

I also found out the breeder lied outright about the # of dogs and bitches he had, a huge red flag.

Haha so thats my story.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Not in a million years! There are so many variables to take into consideration. Here are 9 questions that come straight of the top of my head when taking on a new dog, that can't be answered well over the internet or phone:

* Do you like the look of the dog?

* Does the dog respond to you and like you?

* Does the dog have any obvious health issues?

* Are the parents healthy and of good temperament? In other words, do they look well, and do they try and bite you! Admittedly in some cases you can only meet the dam.
(Yes, I got bitten by the sire of one puppy I went to view, and the dam had a go as well!)

* Does the breeder seem like a person who actually cares about the breed?

* Does the breeder ask you lots of questions about where their little puppy is going?

* Will the breeder be of assistance in the event that you need help?

* Is the dog the right temperament for you? (I.E. it might be a laid-back introverted dog, or it might be a hyper little monkey)

* And last, but not least, however much you feel sorry for the animal, buying from someone who doesn't care enough to want to meet the new owner, just puts money in their pockets and propagates the puppy mill and backyard breeder business.

·
Registered
923 Posts
We said "NO WAY!" but.. I agree with the others. If I hadn't known our breeder for 5+ years, met her and her dogs, met her co-breeders and seen them in action in the ring, etc.. then NO WAY! Or, had it been someone I just found on the net, etc.

Being that I -DID- know all those things, before I got Betty and Goose - well, she brought them both to me from NY and I'd only seen pictures (a few of Betty, a few of The Goo) & heard her stories about them.

People really have to be careful. A lot of people out there claim to be "quality" when they're garbage. The things that I love most about my breeder, is that she does feed raw. :) It's important for me to be able to talk to my breeder about those kind of things. If you just meet someone, what if they have completely different husbandry/feeding ideals? What if they don't test their dogs? Don't clean their kennels more than once a day? What if the dogs only live in kennels, and aren't allowed yard/run/house time?? You need to KNOW this stuff before you shell out cash for a companion that will be with you a long time.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Yep....all of my girls were purchaced this way, and couldn't have been more happier. I guess I got lucky:) all from differernt breeders. Ivy and Willow both came from Texas and Fern from n. Carolina. I live in ca.

Lori

·
Registered
323 Posts
I had dogs shipped to me that I only saw pictures of until i picked up the dog from the air port. Alot of people have their own minds on how to go about buying a dog online from web site or from then in person. you never know what you may get as some people i heard had this happen to. I never had it happen to me nor have i done this to any one who has bought or traded me dogs. I always tell my buyer if the live close they are welcome to come visit us any time they want just make sure we are home. i will send pictures, videos of their puppy. I not once have made a buyer un happy. they have gotten my puppy happy healthy and full of kisses. i have kept in contact with all my buyer.

so it really depend on the person buying. if they want to trust picture/video or if they want to do face to face. Also you can buy from web site and fly in to pick up. i had a buyer wanting to do this and i was happy but it didnt work out.

good luck to those who have bought or buying with picture. also trust your gut...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.