Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
AWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!! what a sweet little girl!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you.....Oh here and there Denise LOL...been so busy I don't know where the time goes! Hence why I am on here winding down at this time of night!!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Are you at Crufts? Did you see what Brad did at Manchester....?? Just posted a photo of him (in the show part of the forum)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No sadly I will be sunning it up in Florida so I will miss it this year! Yes I saw the results and was extremely pleased for you, --more of it please!! He is looking really lovely.

·
Banned
5,224 Posts
She looks like a little Pekingese puppy, will her nose get longer? I hope so.

She is cute, but it honestly saddens me the way Chihuahuas are getting shorter and shorter muzzles in the UK. I can't help but feel it's simply storing up more health problems for the breed and heaven knows the Chihuahua is not without them already :(

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
puppies noses generally get longer - this one of Lucy's only looks very young. I don't think the length of muzzle has shortened at all in chihuahuas but I suppose it depends on how many you see over the time.

I think that many heads have improved with better stops but that does not mean shorter muzzles.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She looks like a little Pekingese puppy, will her nose get longer? I hope so.

She is cute, but it honestly saddens me the way Chihuahuas are getting shorter and shorter muzzles in the UK. I can't help but feel it's simply storing up more health problems for the breed and heaven knows the Chihuahua is not without them already :(
Yes of course her nose will get longer than it is now, it will grow like the rest of her will. She is only 2 weeks old here, and most look like this at that age. I personally like shorter muzzles on chihuahuas myself, everybody has their own features in dogs that they find attractive. All of my dogs have short or moderately short noses anyway, so mostly the puppies will take after their parents. I think most of the show dogs I have seen in the ring have moderately short or short muzzles...it's just the way the breed has developed. I do not strive completely to get the shortest muzzle I can, I would not put their health at risk although I have never heard of or encountered a problem with a shorter muzzled chi, it is not as if they are a brachycephalic breed, then I could understand it more.

·
Banned
5,224 Posts
Yes of course her nose will get longer than it is now, it will grow like the rest of her will. it is not as if they are a brachycephalic breed, then I could understand it more.
They may not be brachycephalic yet, but they look to be heading that way.

I obviously understand that her nose will grow along with the rest of her :rolleyes: But presumably that will be in proportion, which means she will still have a very short muzzle? I read in one odf the show dog papers not that long ago, a judge lamenting the fact that the Chihuahua mouth was deteriorating in the UK? Not surprising iin some ways...
Of course that is just ONE judges opinion :)

Maybe all the changes within the KC after that TV programme, will have an influence on UK breeders and we will hopefully see the muzzles, while remaining short, not disappearing altogether :)

Just an observation and generalising about the breed, which we all love :)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Can I askhow many chihuahuas do you actually see on a regular basis other than your own? I can honestly say that there are NOT many dogs with ultra short noses in the show ring.

Was this comment that you read in a dog paper written by a breed judge or an all rounder - as a championship show judge I don't think mouths are a problem - I would much rather have a dog with a slightly incorrect mouth than a one which wasn't soundly constructed.

I should point out that a deteriorating mouth on a breed does not mean that it is because the nose has reduced in length. There are many chihuahuas with too long a nose who have a terrible overshot mouth....does this not mean that they are getting too long also?

·
Banned
5,224 Posts
Can I askhow many chihuahuas do you actually see on a regular basis other than your own?
Due to the increasing popularity of the breed quite a few :)
There are also a plethora of Chihuahua photos available to view online of UK breeder's dogs.

As for the judge who made the comment, I have no idea what his speciality is Denise, I am not familiar with dog show world.

Anyway, no need to be defensive Denise, I'm simply making a comment as a Chihuahua owner, based on personal observation. No one, least of all myself wants to see a Chihuahua with a nose like a Jack Russell.
But neither do I want to see them looking like a Peke (generalising about the breed here.)

Like the majority of us, I simply think health and longevity should be a priority when it comes to dog breeding. And...as I said the Chihuahua as a breed (certainly here in the UK) has a more than it's share of health issues already, heart problems, patella luxation, epilepsy...

Just my thoughts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts