Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide between getting two puppies or just one. There are so many reasons, good and bad, for going either way and I keep going back and forth with this decision. I know that I eventually want to have two, I'm just not sure if it's better to start out with two, or to get the second one later on. I'm already aware that it's more expensive with two and I'm assuming training is more difficult. I'm thinking more along the lines of how happy they would be. I'm assuming it would be an easier transition for them into a new home if they had a sibling there so that they weren't lonely. (If I am able to find two siblings that I want to get. I'm finding that I usually only like one puppy in a litter which means there is a possibility that if I get two around the same time, they would be from different homes.) Another positive thing is that they would always have someone to play with. I am a stay at home mom and my youngest will be going to school full time this fall. So, I will have a lot of free time on my hands, but that also means that I may decide to get a part time job later on. If there were two of them, they wouldn't be lonely if I was gone for a few hours a day a few times a week. Plus, I love watching two chi's play and interact with each other. Does anyone have any experiences of their own they would be willing share? Which way would you go if you had to choose and why? Thanks everyone! You're opinions are very appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Two! Sonny is BG little brother by 13 months but she was lonely before him. She loves having him and they are two peas in a pod. Also easier to raise a 2cndRedskin when everything is puppy proofed and they teach each other (good and bad)

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'd get just one for the time being. Read up on littermate syndrome - if you raise them together they can become much to dependent on each other and become two halves of a whole, rather than two independent dogs. I'd wait at least a year before getting a second dog, but I think some says 6 months would be okay.
Here's some nifty articles on the subject of littermate syndrome:
Littermate Syndrome | Paws Abilities
Raising Siblings

Good luck on whatever you decide to do!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I would get one now and another a year or so later. Puppyhood is so fleeting and I enjoy it so much. Having puppies at different times makes it last longer.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the links Nichole! There is some really good info in them that explains why you should wait to get a second one. That is what I will probably do. I didn't realize the extent of the issues you could have when getting two puppies around the same time.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it. I think I will definitely wait for the second one.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I agree. We currently have two puppies in our house... Toby and my mom's dog Rocky. Toby is just over 8.5 months old, Rocky is 6 months old. They are from the same breeder but not the same litter. IT IS HORRIBLE. When they are together, they both get in 8397574x the trouble. They teach each other all their bad habits and are such trouble. When they are separate, they are both wonderful puppies. I would never have more than one at a time again. I would wait at least 6 months or a year until they are nearer to maturity to get a second.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Well, I only intended to get one, then a couple of days later got another, then a month or so later another and then a few weeks later, yet another - so I've gone from 1 to 4 in a very short space of time.

They've all maintained their independence, well and truly. Chi's are not like normal dogs at all, i.e. you can have any number of the same or mixed sexes living together and they're a happy little pack, try that with another breed, yeoooow, fights a plenty.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi i would wait at least a year and let the first always be the big brother or sister just like real kids

1 - 11 of 11 Posts