Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I'd try a good probiotic and see if that helps. No, I wouldn't say it's normal to have bad gas. Could be from the food you are feeding, have you changed anything around lately?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Tango and Jazz both had really bad gas when I rescued them. But they were also on the crappiest food imaginable! Jazz was being fed this no-name generic crap from the grocery store, and Tango ate table scraps and low quality cat food.

Part of dealing with their ill-health was to switch them over to a superior dog food~I chose Evo Innova. Once their health started to improve with lots of Vet care and excellent food and uber care and attention from me, their gas and digestive issues faded away. Their poops are firm and virtually odorless, and there's very little of it because their bodies are utilizing almost all of what they eat. It's just pure nutrition and no crap or fillers. Plus their gas issues disappeared completely. I can't even remember the last time I smelled or heard a toot from them! :hello1:

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I would think that they were gulping air somehow..seems strange. I have heard about this with very short muzzled dogs like Boston terriers. Are they eating something that they aren't supposed to ??

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
No, it's not normal to have bad gas regularly. Like Tracy suggested you can try giving probiotics but in all my experience it's always been a food or treat that has caused the gas in mine. Eliminating the food/treat that causes it generally results in the gas ceasing immediately.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd try a good probiotic and see if that helps. No, I wouldn't say it's normal to have bad gas. Could be from the food you are feeding, have you changed anything around lately?
No we are going nuts because we never had a chihuahua before always shelties and, they eat anything. This dog very sweet but, so far will only eat warm meat. Things other dogs go crazy for she doesn't touch. No biscuits no dry food no wet dog food. Please tell me things you give your dogs to eat.Really would appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I strictly monitor what Tango and Jazz eat, so they don't get much variety. I'm very careful with quantities too, because I don't want them gaining weight. Consequently they are completely UNopinionated about what they eat, and they gobble up everything I feed them lol!

They eat Evo Innova red meat small bites 2X daily, totaling just under 1/2 cup of kibble each per day. For treats, they're given small bits of dried chicken strips, or one of the Wellness semi-soft treats. Very occasionally they'll get bits of cooked liver or boiled chicken...tiny bits because I don't want to give them a meal's worth. They're so small that just a couple people-sized pieces of chicken or live would constitute a whole meal for them!

Here's the thing....when a dog is hungry enough, they WILL eat anything you put in front of them. It is HIGHLY unusual for a relatively healthy dog to just starve itself. The thing with little dogs like chihuahuas is that people often tend to over-estimate how much food they should get at each serving, then when they dog eats less the owner the dog is off its food, or is sick. Owners sometimes over-feed, which causes the dog to just not be hungry at the next mealtime, which makes the owner think that they've got a picky eater when in fact they just have an un-hungry dog.

I'm wondering if she is eating the warm meat because it tastes good even in SPITE of the fact that she's not hungry. Is she full grown? If so, it wouldn't hurt her for you to just toughen up a little bit regarding her food. Assuming you'd eed her twice a day, offer her kibble or raw or whatever it is you'd be feeding her if she weren't so picky, and if she doesn't eat it within a half hour, take it back up again, and don't offer any more food until her next meal time, then do the same thing. She may go 24 hours without eating anything, but at some point her hunger will win out and she'll eat whatever you put in front of her. You, as the alpha, should have this power over her food. She, as the dog, shouldn't be "training" YOU to only feed her warm meat!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much !!! I think this way too but, I don't blame my husband from worrying because I never had a chihuahua so I thought I could be wrong and, I know it's very unhealthy for dogs to gain too much weight and, I have notice she's a little heavier since my husband got the dog. He means well but, he is I think over feeding. I printed what you said which is what I was told and, I've always had dogs. We've been married for years me and my daughter and father in law mainly took care of the feeding. With this little one because the kids are grown parents have pass on. Since my husband unexpectly fell for this dog brought her home I think he is over worrying. I'll let him read what you said he's all for good advise but, needs to hear it from someone that has a Chihuahua like I said I always had Shelties that's why I wanted advise from someone that has one. Thank you so much for your time. :eek:) Reba

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Maxie used to have very bad gas but ever since we put him on a grain free diet (we also fed EVO up until last week - now we are feeding raw) he stopped having that problem. Dogs don't need grain in their diets...it is the cause of MANY allergies & GI troubles (especially corn) in dogs.

I agree with what Tink says - if you want your pup to eat dog food you need to cut out the table scraps. Saying that, if you feed the right kind of "people food" - it's not bad for your dog. But you can't expect to toss them warm chicken then expect them to eat their nasty dog food. If you hold out long enough they will eventually eat their kibble. These Chi's are VERY good at training their people - so you have to be on top of things & be the most stubborn! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maxie used to have very bad gas but ever since we put him on a grain free diet (we also fed EVO up until last week - now we are feeding raw) he stopped having that problem. Dogs don't need grain in their diets...it is the cause of MANY allergies & GI troubles (especially corn) in dogs.

I agree with what Tink says - if you want your pup to eat dog food you need to cut out the table scraps. Saying that, if you feed the right kind of "people food" - it's not bad for your dog. But you can't expect to toss them warm chicken then expect them to eat their nasty dog food. If you hold out long enough they will eventually eat their kibble. These Chi's are VERY good at training their people - so you have to be on top of things & be the most stubborn! :)
I agree with what both of you have said and, I really appreciate you taking the time so I can show my husband he really wants to do what's right but, needs to hear it from people that have chi's you guys are great to take the time to reply thanks so much!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts