Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hubby was cooking supper this evening and sliced his finger while he was cutting up onion. The slice caused him to jerk which caused him to knock some onion onto the floor which Bosco promptly ate. Ever had a dog with onion-breath try to kiss you? YECH! :shock:

Anyway, I looked online and saw that onion can be toxic to dogs. Bosco did throw up after he ate it and now he is acting fine - do you think he is OK or should I call the emergency pet hospital? Please help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
996 Posts
Hey I dont know that much about Chi's because I dont own one yet *jumps up and down* but have had numerous cats, and dogs before. But if he has thrown it up, he should be fine! I would only be worried if he was looking sick and hadnt taken a poop or thrown it up either. (my dog has aten a whole CHOCLATE pudding once, and i was worried sick! but a while later she had the runs, and after that she was fine! ) So i wouldnt worrie about it :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,210 Posts
BAD HUBBY
Onions are bad...........since he puked he might be ok, did u see the onion in the puke?
I would just keep an eye on him, how much you think he ate?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't see any onion in the vomit...he ate his supper after the onion so mainly it looked like his food pellets. :?:

He poo'ed in the family room which he hasn't done in a LONG time so I think he does have an upset tummy!

Right now he is napping in his bed. I'm worried. Should I call the animal hospital?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies so far! I appreciate it and it has made me feel better since you two think he will be OK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,210 Posts
How much onion did he get do u think?
Anna if your very worried then call but I would think if he did not eat too much then he might be ok especially since he puked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry Victoria - I forgot to answer that question, didn't I? :)

He had a large chunk. That is about as descriptive as I can get. LOL I read somewhere that if a dog eats more than .5% of their body weight that you really need to worry. Well since he is 5 pounds that means he would have to eat .025 pounds of onion which is not much at all, is it? I mean, I think that would be equal to like 1 ounce or something? (Math is not my claim to fame.) That is why I started worrying so much. ?

He woke up and did a little spaz-out session (running around the house at top speed) but then he started heaving. :( Right now he is chewing on a rawhide bone so I think he is maybe OK?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is what it says:

Onion toxicity causes the red blood cells to burst while circulating the body this is known as haemolytic anemia.

First signs of onion toxicity are bloat vomiting and diarrhoea. Dogs with onion toxicity will refuse to eat become dull, weak and breathless. Breathlessness is due to the red blood cells bursting thus unable to carry oxygen through the body. All types and forms are dangerous to your dog including raw and dehydrated onions. Onion toxicity doesn't visually appear in the dog until three days after eating onions.


I didn't see anything about what you should do ... call the vet immediately or wait till you see signs of sickness or what??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He puked once (a lot) and then the second time he just heaved - kind of threw up in his mouth but it didn't actually come out. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,210 Posts
Since he is puking maybe call them just to feel better. I dont know how they stop it, I know with antifreeze they have to re-act immediately to save the dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,210 Posts
Boogaloo said:
First signs of onion toxicity are bloat vomiting and diarrhoea. Dogs with onion toxicity will refuse to eat become dull, weak and breathless. Breathlessness is due to the red blood cells bursting thus unable to carry oxygen through the body. All types and forms are dangerous to your dog including raw and dehydrated onions. Onion toxicity doesn't visually appear in the dog until three days after eating onions.
THREE DAYS!!! my gosh!
Good info to know
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I called the vets and they told me that they don't know too much about onion toxicity in dogs :roll: and are looking it up to get more info on
the subject. They are going to call me back later today.

Bosco acted OK this morning. His poo had a white coating though? (yah I know it's gross!)

I'm going to go home at lunchtime to check on him. Hopefully the vet
calls me back this morning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,153 Posts
I'm beginning to think we are more informed here about what our pets should and shouldn't have!
I hope Bosco is feeling better.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top