Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, shelly has just thrown up twice in the past ten minutes. i searched it on here and saw something about onions being toxic. the bigger dogs were playing with an onion they had stolen from the kitchen weeks ago in the yard today and i saw her chipping at it, but i didn't think it was a big deal. she is very small and im not sure how much she ate but i'm all freaked out now :( i am giving her rice with some boiled chicken for dinner. do you think she'll be allright? im going out to dinner for a birthday tonight so i won't be able to watch her all night. just wondering ur thoughts....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
some more info: i dont think she ate a lot, i retrieved the onion from the backyard and it looked almost untouched. it was a few hours ago too. ive been googling it and its really scaring me !! there is a lot about anemia which is hard to tell in shelly because she is very calm and not very active... currently she is sleeping and seems fine... o i hope shes alright... :/

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I don't think if the onion was stolen weeks ago that it would cause problems now. Mine will have onion occasionally without any problems. Dogs throw up, usually you have no idea why. lol I give them a day or two to stop before I get worried or do anything like change diet.

EDIT: Sorry, just saw that they were playing with it today. I still don't think I'd worry unless she is still very sick tomorrow. Dogs throw up all the time.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Yes onions can be toxic to dogs. I am not sure what to do about it other than watch her. Here is something I copied from a site I local.

Onions and Garlic

Onions and garlic contain thiosulphate, the chemical that makes them toxic foods for dogs.
If you feed onions or garlic to him regularly, his red blood cells may weaken and literally fall apart.
The thiosulphate can reach toxic, even deadly levels, if he eats too much of either food.
Without treatment, severe anemias and death can result from overeating these toxic foods.
Humans have an enzyme that allows us to digest onions and garlic (although some people do have digestive problems with them).
All dogs (and cats) lack that enzyme.
This can result in vomiting, diarrhea, gas or gastrointestinal pain and distress.
These symptoms might not appear for a few days, which makes it much harder to pinpoint the poison.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I don't get how garlic is toxic it's in almost all dog food it's in the dehydrated raw I feed my guys breath smells like garlic after they eat big time lol

How is shelly doing now?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think if the onion was stolen weeks ago that it would cause problems now. Mine will have onion occasionally without any problems. Dogs throw up, usually you have no idea why. lol I give them a day or two to stop before I get worried or do anything like change diet.

EDIT: Sorry, just saw that they were playing with it today. I still don't think I'd worry unless she is still very sick tomorrow. Dogs throw up all the time.
you're right, they did steal it a few weeks ago (its in the trash now) but i just got home and she seems fine thank goodness. shes lovin the rice tho lol

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I think it is the amount of the garlic given.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Yeah, I would say its more likely she ate a slug or bug in the yard that didn't settle well, than the onion. More than once mine have had a few bites of food where there was some sort of onion, and all have been fine...now, I don't often let them, but, I just don't worry about it. Now if they got some chunks of it I would be worried but a tiny bite of food where there was some onion powder sprinkled has never done any harm. I am not saying go out and do it or anything, just that I wouldn't be concerned, based off of my own personal experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts