Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Chi peeps!

It's only 4 more sleeps until Axle is joined by our new little girl Chloe (went with that over Reese as it was my husband's choice and I want them to bond because Axle is very bonded to me).

I'm excited but a little nervous - I don't know how I can possibly love another dog as much as Axle, I want her to settle in and not feel overwhelmed by Axle's attentions, I don't want my little man to feel jealous... Keep fingers crossed that it all goes smoothly.

I didn't crate Axle but i'm thinking of crating Chloe just so she can have some quiet time away from her very energetic big brother. The energy levels of an 8 week old and a 17 week old will be quite different. I'm sure she will catch up soon but I don't want him to wear her out in the mean time.

There's plenty of info out there on introducing a puppy to an older dog but not to an older puppy. Guess I will just proceed with caution. Axle is super excited about meeting other dogs (hence the companion) but i know he may feel differently about another dog in his house being given attention by his people.

Promise I will post pics on Monday.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Congrats! :)
Try to not worry so much! The age difference is so tiny, it's not an issue at all imo.
Axle will be thrilled to have a partner in crime, I'm sure! Just make sure he knows he
is still the "big boss",lol. Give equal attention to both, don't overindulge in the new baby.
I suggest setting the same rules for both as well. Most importantly don't stress over it,
just enjoy it. It'll be hard work at first, but very rewarding. I can not explain to you how
fun it is to watch two dogs grow together, interact, bond, it's really special.

I can't wait to see pictures!!! :p

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Aww that is so fun! That went fast! It will go fine hon! I was just as nervous when I brought Kizzie into our family. Shayley was 6 1/2 years old (Her best friend Pooey, my moms dog, died so we decided to get her a sister, which was Kizzie) I was sooo nervous bringing in a puppy when Shayley was much older. I won't lie at first Shayley was not the happiest pup on earth (for once! lol) She did not "love" her little sister and she did not "Like" her little sister LOL She actually had reason though because Kizzie was crazy and would always bite her feet/butt/legs/ lol That changed so fast though after week or so Shayley and Kizzie became best friends and are inseperatable now!!! Yes, it is a bit scary to see how it goes but it should go fine! I am so happy for you! how exciting!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts