Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in 9 days i get to pick my new baby up, yay (jumps around like a mad woman, ) and i was wondering earlier, since i got harvey as an adult, how you wonderful people go about the first few days with puppy, such as helping with the settling in period while they adjust to being parted from mummy chi. Any tips would be appreciated very much, thanks x

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Cant wait to see pics of your new little one. Just introduce everything slowly and make her feel comfy. Try not to let anything scare her, but the transition should be fairly easy.

**** luck! Do you have any pics that they may have sent you? Do you have a name picked out yet?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
i was really nervous when we first brought Miya home back in Nov 2011. She was my first puppy, and a very "needy" puppy at that, being so small and fragile. I treated her like glass lol. For the first evening and night, I kept her in a playpen. A small area where she would feel safe. it wasn't too big or overwhelming. I actually used a baby gate to barracade her between my wall and my bed, so at night she slept there next to me. That didn't last because she wanted in the bed and now I have a permanent sleeping companion and I LOVE IT!! I love her snuggles.

ok back to the topic--->Just try and make her feel as comfy as possible. Like I said, she stayed in that playpen area most of the time, but I did take her out to introduce her to the rest of my small apartment. I was afraid to leave her alone. For the first 4 days, I didn't go to work. i stayed with her, and when I had to go back to work, I was so stressed! Looking back I wouldn't have done anything differently :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only pic i hav of her is on my phone but will bet lots of pics on here next week youll get fed up of me posting lol. Shes a tiny fawn shorthair and she has the most perfect appledome head and tiny muzzle . Im calling her lola

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
She sounds like a doll! Thought I should chip in since i've brought home 2 pups since October (the Chi fever got me!). As teetee said a pen is a great idea to make sure she is close to her food, water and potty and feels like it is her safe place. I would encourage you to leave her alone for small periods of time from day one as it helps prevent seperation anxiety. I'm only talking 10 mins at a time, working up to say an hour at a time after the first few days. My outgoing pup had no issues with this but my shy fearful pup screamed the house down as soon as we were out of sight. It's really hard but you just have to know that it's for a short time only and it's what's best for them in the long run.

·
Registered
55 Posts
:DCongrats hun how exciting!!! We have 5 days till we bring home our little Ruby :rolleyes: i cant wait!!
Like someone said we are also doing her a Puppy Den. we'v changed the hall cupboard into a little home for her, and have taken the door off and putting a stair gate on. theres a shelf in there to put all her food, pee pads, treats ect on. Then on thurs we're going to get her bed, blankets, some more toys, food/water bowls and then set it all up ready for her to come home :love4:

When my hubby goes to pick her up his going to put her in her den with a blanket smelling of her mum, we'll leave her in there for awhile so she can have a sniff and get used to it. then once hubbys gone off to work im gonna let her have alook around the flat while its all calm an quiet :D:blob5:

Cant wait

Bexy xxx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts