Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cujo went for his last vet visit for a year today and we've all been noticing he's only got one testicle(sp?) showing but thought the other one was just hiding :lol: , my mom asked the vet and he felt around and he only felt one , he told us to wait a couple months but if it dont grow he'll only have one and if we breed him with buffy The male pups will only have one! I dunno if he ends up only having one do you think we should still breed him with Buffy or find an other male???

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Not sure why your vet thought the next litter would only have one. They could be cryptorchid where only one testical descends. This trait can be passed genetically, so the next litter might have a cryptorchid male, but the only way to know that one is "missing" is to actually explore surgically or run a test after neutering for hormonal levels.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i read that you shouldn't breed when only one testicle descends cause it is genetic and faulted in shows. aren't there also health issues that could come up with not getting this taken care of? (nate?)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I had a cryptorchid several years back we had him fixed they found his other testicle was up by his kidney or tummy from what i recall. I would have him fixed

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Being cryptorchid puts them at a higher risk for sertoli cell cancer, inglinial/umbilical herniations, abnormal penis formation (yikes), and believe it or not, luxating patellas (not sure why, but it's scientific fact!) which is bad news for our boys! In dogs that have both testicles undescended are usually also sterile, so breeding them is futile for them.

If a cryptorchid male is left intact, and a tumor does grow, it may affect other organs like kidneys, colon, and intestine. It's also a good idea to neuter a cryptorchid male as soon as his condition is diagnosed since the longer you wait, the higher risk of testicular cancer.

Hope that helped (was that what you were looking for luvmypuppet?)

-Nate

·
Registered
936 Posts
Seiah at first only had one that could be felt. So the vet told me that if the other one doesn't drop then they would have to surgically remove it. I didn't know that some only have one. :scratch:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
ilovesadie said:
Being cryptorchid puts them at a higher risk for sertoli cell cancer, inglinial/umbilical herniations, abnormal penis formation (yikes), and believe it or not, luxating patellas (not sure why, but it's scientific fact!) which is bad news for our boys! In dogs that have both testicles undescended are usually also sterile, so breeding them is futile for them.

If a cryptorchid male is left intact, and a tumor does grow, it may affect other organs like kidneys, colon, and intestine. It's also a good idea to neuter a cryptorchid male as soon as his condition is diagnosed since the longer you wait, the higher risk of testicular cancer.

Hope that helped (was that what you were looking for luvmypuppet?)

-Nate
yep! thanks.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
lol xx natalie xx hmmm im not sure but it would be marked down but it might just be hiding somewhere.

Come out come out where ever you are lol!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Harry my Chinese crested had only one descended testicle. I knew about this problem before i decided to have him. It wasnt a problem as i was having him neutered anyway. So i knew he wouldnt have health problems. The operation was slightly bigger than usual because he had to have the undescended testicle taken out via an incision next to his willy. Poor lad..but he recovered in the usual time with no ill effects, once through the op. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts