Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom and dad (almost 80) used to LOVE to keep Mick. He was calm, older and loved to sleep. My mom has some medical issues and is always cold and in pain. Mick was thrilled when we left him at "nana's" because nana always has heated pads/throws and lots of blankets and quilts out. He thought they were for him.

She told us if we ever got another dog that she would not feel able to keep the dog. She was upset with us when we got Hope and when we aded Ruby, she was VERY upset with us.

I wanted to wait until the girls had their spays and were a bit heavier (the piggies are now up to 3.5 lbs.!!) before getting their first rabies shots. We would have to have that as well as bordatella shots before they could stay at our vet/boarding place. I hated the extra shots since we only would be leaving them a couple of times a year.

A friend cleans our home and casually mentioned that if we did have to go out of town and the girls could not go that she uses a service that is RIGHT in my town. She mentioned that a sweet, older lady is always who she requests.

We are going out of town (just one overnight) next week to see my stepdaughter, son-in-law, grandson and their new baby. That will be too chaotic and hectic for the girls.

So, I called the service, the owner came out, interviewed us, reviewed everything (we signed a waiver that they are able to take either girl to our vet during a stay should they need medical care, an after hours waiver to see their vet should ours not be available, which doors we prefer them to use, if we want mail picked up, how often do we walk the girls and if we had a particular path, etc. and MORE) and we are officially in their system. They do brief or extended in-home stays and they come to some people's homes daily to feed, walk, give medication, insulin injections or to do a new puppy check in. Wish that I had known of them when we got Hope and she was just 1.5 lbs.!

The nice lady my friend referenced, called and now has come by to review all my "rules" and meet us and the girls. She is a gem!!!

I cannot tell you the peace of mind knowing that even though it is just a day and a half that the girls will be in their own home, no extra or early chemical injections are needed, no risk that Hope will eat someone else's processed food, they will not contract something from other pets, etc. AND that we are not leaving them in a hotel room alone while we go places that pets cannot go (grocery, out to dinner, etc.). AND that I am not really a 2 star hotel kind of chick and that is all I could find, in stepdaughter's town, that will accept pets.

Others think that I am paranoid/crazy/will spend anything for the girls and roll their eyes. I just knew you would understand how happy I am! I am certain everyone has or knows of services like this. I was used to my parents sitting so had not researched or known of it.

If it all goes well, we have her "held" for July when we fly to our granddaughter's first birthday.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Cool we do the same thing...:) it's nice and the girls love their sitter.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
So happy for you.. and I understand perfectly.. We are fortunate to have 4 grown kids who live locally and have taken care of our gang when needed.. I consider myself blessed to have owned chis for over 20 years and never had to "board" one of our babies..

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I'm so glad you found that service. There is no substitute for peace of mind when you have to leave your dogs.

I'm very lucky. My roommate and I live in a large house together, and share dog-sitting duties. She has pugs, and when she goes out of town (several times a year) I take care of her dogs, as she does mine when I'm away. We know our dogs miss us when we're gone, but still, they're in familiar surroundings, at home, taken care of by someone they see every day even though it's not "their"person, and they're as comfortable as they can be. :D

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I live in small rule area and would love a service like that. Before I got my Amberleah we were going to spend a week at my mother in law's 3 hours away. My husband was out of work 11 months. When we got back, then I was going to get my new baby. But he got called to new job and I wasn't going to be home with out a friend. So I got my Amberleah. My husband side of family not dog people even cute one like Amberleah. Just cats people. They will talk all day about the cats but if I mention my dogs their kind not interested, "RUDE"
So if my husband goes to visit on weekend I will not go, I am not leaving her. Or we can stay in hotel..I would like that better anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts