Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here are (finally) some pics of Oobi AWAKE and on his feet.....he ain't too sure about the snow, though!

Still hard to get good pics of him, at first he was having trouble making eye contact with me, wouldn't look at my face, and though he is improving with that, he still will only glance at me for a few seconds and look away - so I am having trouble getting a shot with him looking at the camera.

Still, these are nice pics of his cute little body and handsome face and fashionable outerwear (compliments of FidoFleece Activewear)

Thanks for taking the time to look!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it IS warm, yet still he just shivers away. I guess that shivering is just a "chihuahua thing"....but I notice with Oobi, who improves daily, that alot of the not so good things he was doing when he first came to live with me, like the constant wheezing/sneezing/honking, has abated somewhat. He used to do it every few minutes, now it is just a few times a day. And he now is playing with toys too, which he had no interest in at first. All of my hopes for him are working out! He DID peepee on the kitchen floor the other day though, but I blame that on the cold weather, he just does not want to stay outside very long, warm jacket or no warm jacket!

·
Registered
740 Posts
well....my pom (she is 15) when she was a puppy I use to gate her in the kitchen till I came home from work when she has accident she runs to the kitchen and I must say...we all have accidents I would MUCH rather clean a kitchen floor no fuss then cleaning a carpet!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks all, he IS a handsome boy!! DITobin, I gate Oobi in the kitchen too, and the few times he has relieved himself in the house (not really his fault) that is where he goes....definately better than on the carpet.

But really, what do you all do when your dogs refuse to go out in the cold weather? Using the potty pads is not an option, I want it to be either one or the other, and I would rather he go out. It is only for a minute, and he is dressed warm - though he is the picture of sadness and depression when he sees me coming at him with the sweater....my mom says I should just leash him and make him go out, but he seems to rather have a little freedom when he has to go. I really don't want him to get in the habit of going in the house.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Oobi is a handsome little dog.

I did leash mine when she needed to go out; she's very used to not having any potty privacy, and it doesn't seem to bother her. She doesn't care for sweaters or jackets, either, but she wears them when it's cold out. My floors aren't that warm.

You can teach Oobi "look at me" by holding a treat between your eyes and rewarding him when he looks. Eye contact is aggression in their minds, and little Oobi is being super polite, so you need to give him permission. It's a useful command for times when you want to get his attention or a good photo shot, lol. As I recall, "look at me" was the first command we learned in puppy class.

Afterthought - Boop goes right next to the porch, so she's not out in bad weather for more than a minute. I put a baggy in my pocket as we head out and clean up right away. I got a very small step on to open garbage can for the porch to toss the baggies in. I used to bring them in the house, but that got unaesthetic.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
he's adorable :) I think the shivering thing is a little bit more of a short coat thing than long coat... or atleast shivering due to cold... chichi does shiver when he's scared sometimes though

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
So you adopted Oobi? God Bless. We adopted our Briscoe and he was so timid when we brought him home. He is coming out of his shell nicely though. We've had him just little over three months (gosh seems like he's always been here) and he is finally beginning to interact playfully with the other two! He didn't know what toys were when we brought him home, but he does now and also knows how to claim the ones he likes! LOL Adoptions are the best. We've watched him go from skin and bones to just a nicely filled out little dog. OOOOPPPS Sorry I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Did you get the name Oobi from that character on the kids show on TV? It's really cute!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all - that jacket really looks great on him, doesn't it?

Lin, Oobi came with his name, there were kids in his original home, so I am assuming the Oobi charactor is where they got the name from. I saw no reason to change it, though I don't think I'd have chosen it myself!

Tho I have not officially adopted him, I have the option to do so before anyone else, the lady at the rescue just wants to see him happy and loved and doesn't want to uproot him again anymore than I do. But yes, I am adopting him. How could I not??

How old is Briscoe and what was his situation? Oobi didn't seem to know what toys were either, but a few days ago he decided they were cool! He was taking my mom's dog's toys, so I went out and got him his own.

It seems like every day he surprises me with a new and more dog-like behavior. He was so sad and skinny and hardly even moved when I got him, now he is totally different....and it all happened so quickly! Adopting really is great....I love love love puppies, but so many good older dogs deserve a home too....I wish I had room for all of them!

Pauline, thanks for the "Look at me" tip...I am going to try that with his favorite treat..turkey!

In fact, I would like to do some training with him. Can anyone recommend a good web site for that? My long term goal with Oobi is to possibly get him to do pet therapy. I need to have him at the point where he listens to and responds to basic commands. He does sit and he does stay - and most times I can get him to come to me.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I may not have chosen Oobi either, but I do like it and it evokes sweet memories of sitting and watching that show with my grandson. :)

Briscoe boy was two years old and an owner surrender, and he was taken to the *shudder* dog pound. His previous owner was a 90 yr. old man that had to be moved to a nursing home. Fortunately, a no-kill shelter in my area rescued the little guy and I found him on petfinders.com.

He seemed to be very fearful, and still is at times, about soooooooo many things. His ribs and spine showed prominantly through his skin. I could hardly keep from crying everytime I looked at him. His preference is definitely for my husband, I'm guessing because he belonged to a man before. He was scared to death of feet when we got him, I'm thinking he must have been kicked. He would eat like a starving animal at feeding time, but I've noticed just in the last week that he eats at a leisurely pace, like the other two do.

Oh goodness, I didn't mean to go on, but here is so much to tell! And I do love to talk about him. Thanks so much for asking.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, Lin, that sounds just like Oobi's story, only he seems to prefer women, and takes a while to trust men....I think that he was not treated well by the man of the house in his original home. He was surrendered in Pennsylvania at the pound by his family and then rescued by the woman I got him from. He was skinny, fearful, and very very sad looking. He did that constant honking wheezing reverse sneezing thing, but that has really improved, now he only does it a few times a day. In less than a month he has shown so much improvement, though.

The first week I had him I cried alot too, I just could not look at his sweet brown eyes and imagine anyone treating him badly. I yelled at him in surprise once the first week when he peed by the door as I was opening it to let him out....his reaction to my yelling was complete terror. I felt bad and cried about it all night.

Don't worry please about hijacking my thread or "going on", I am happy to hear about other peoples experiences! Good luck with Briscoe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oobi is my favourite one! Of course Bebe takes 1st place-always;)
How old is he???
I think that some difficulties we can have not only with dogs from adoptions but from breeding too.Bebe has got some manners which I really try hard to overcome-all our walks are full of stress,because I must have eyes around my head-he eats anything! so it's dangerous for him...He looks like a dead with hunger dog and begging for food all the time.
If it's about going out during bad weather-it's the same with Bebe-especially in the evening I must catch him,dress him and just go out without asking him. It's the only way to keep your house clean...
Good luck with Oobi

1 - 20 of 21 Posts