Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really a question, Peso has a soft spot that never closed. He is now 4 and a half and has a very large open spot on the top of his head, which is very rare. He had a head injury a few years ago which has led to dealing with many seizures. He is medicated and doing very well (he is a little fighter:)), but has continued to have random cluster seizures over the past few years.
I just wanted to be able to give anyone in this same situation any advice that I've learned through my experience in dealing with his condition. It has certainly not been easy (or inexpensive), but I have done as much as humanly possible to keep him healthy.
It is difficult to deal with a little one who has a serious condition and I would like to help anyone who has any question regarding seizures, especially due to an open molera.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Thank you for sharing your experience with our members. I am sure it will be very helpful. Whether it is needed immediately I am not sure but you are welcome to write up the information you have and that way if anyone ever does a search here for that information or if someone comes here needing advice we can reference back to this thread ;-)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Tango's molera remains open, and is about the size of a quarter. I am very grateful it's never given him any trouble.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
WOW that's big
Yeah, it is. And I can get pretty obsessive about protecting him sometimes lol! But then I have to remind myself that he's a dog and needs to be able to do dog things and really? 99% of the things he does are no more dangerous for a dog with an open fontanel than for a dog with a closed one. The way the Vet explained it to me, if he should fall and hit his head, that won't be any more traumatic for him than any other dog, UNLESS he impacts on the very top of his head, exactly where the fontanel is. IOW, the FACT of an open fontanel isn't life threatening. What CAN be is that, with no skull there, there's a direct and unprotected line straight to the brain.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's great to hear that he's been ok so far. I'm pretty neurotic about protecting Peso as well but accidents happen, especially when you're a clumsy little man like he is:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Sandie,

We have recently been making lots of vet visits. Our chihuahua had a seizure and then two weeks later he had a cluster seizure. Not long after the first seizure his soft spot raised and has remained slightly raised. He has had ultrasounds on his head and liver. He had raised bile levels but the ultrasound showed no signs of liver shunts. The ultrasound of the brain showed two ventricles are slightly enlarged so they diagnosed him with water on the brain. However, we just realized that the day before he had the first seizure he hit his head on the door. We are now thinking that caused the first seizure and the cluster seizure a few weeks later. Did or does peso have a raised soft spot at all? It has now been a few months since the 2nd set of seizures with no problems. He ha been medicated since then. He is super playful and active and seems very healthy other than the seizures and raised soft spot. I hope you see this and thank you in advance for your help!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts