Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a puppy that I am looking at. I haven't met him in person yet. He's the darker colored one with the white stripe down his face and white paws. 6 weeks old. The parents are at a different location so I won't have the opportunity to see what they look like. So, for all of you experienced Chi owners, does he look like he will grow up to have a long nose and face or more of the traditional Chi look? Are his ears too little or do you think that it's just the way the picture is taken? Legs way too short? Any other ideas on what he may look like when he grows up? I would like a Chi that looks more like what a traditional standard Chi looks like instead of the long legs and face that look more like a Chi mixed with a terrier. Do their coats usually darken as they get older or do they usually stay pretty much the same? Thanks!

·
Banned
177 Posts
They aren't bred to standard.

Don't get one from this "breeder" they should still be with their dam. Mine nursed til 10 weeks old.

They are big and look mixed. 6 week old pups generally if bred correctly don't have much muzzle and have good stops. Stay away.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I agree, he will be long muzzled.

This is Gemma around 6 weeks. You can see how short her muzzle is and how defined her stop (the 90 degree angle where the forehead and muzzle meet) is already:

That's the kind of look you will want to go for in a puppy that age if you want the standard look as an adult.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
These puppies are poorly bred. And why in the world aren't they with their mom? At 6 weeks old?! They should definitely still be with mom, preferably to 12 weeks, but 10 weeks minimum. They also will be on the larger side. If you are looking for a chi that looks like a chi - these are not it.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Wow, I missed the part where their parents were at a different location. They should be with their mother for a minimum of 8 weeks, but most reputable breeders will keep puppies with their mother for 10-12 weeks. I would definitely stay away from that breeder.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I agree with everyone else. There is no way that I would get a puppy that has been weaned from it's mother that early. The pups need the antibodies and nutrition that only their mothers milk can provide. A Chihuahua puppy is so little, they need that extra time with mom. Most breeders wait until about 10 weeks, sometimes longer.

As far as looks go, I also agree with the others. If you look at the difference between Gemma's muzzle and the puppies' muzzles, you can see that hers has a much more defined stop and is much shorter. Toby's muzzle always looks long in photos but is, in reality, very short, as it should be. Also, they look quite large for six week old Chi puppies, which, along with the other characteristics, makes me wonder if they are purebred. Especially since the parents are "not available" for you to see.

I think this breeder may be running some sort of scam. How much is she looking to charge? Are the puppies registered? I personally would NEVER buy a puppy without seeing the parents. That is how you can gauge what they will look like and how large they will be.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She is asking $225 but I came across her ad on a different classified website and it had the same pictures but was advertising them as 8 weeks old. She did send me a picture of an adult Chi that they had and said the parents looked just like that one but a little smaller. That adult was pretty big and had very thick long fur and just wasn't very pretty. I will definitely pass on this puppy. Thanks everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts