Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the weight threads, I'm thinking my Pip could maybe lose a bit. My vet said he was fine at his last checkup in the Spring, but he seems a bit chunky to me. I have a tendency to feed him a little more of THK than I probably should. Instead of a level 1/8 cup, I give him somewhat more of a heaping one as he often seems hungry. I'm going to stop doing that now.

Anyway, here's a few pics. What do you all think? He looks chunky from the top, but he does somewhat have a tuck from the side. He is short and more thicker and cobby so it may be his body type, that said, I can grab some excess off him. He was definitely thinner when I got him last year, but it's stressful in rescue so some of it had to do with that, I'm sure. He's at 5.4 pounds now.

I had to put him on the counter to get a side pic as he wouldn't stop moving. Poor little guy was scared up there though. (Tail between legs, aww)

On the flip side, I think Roo might be a little too thin, you can very easily feel her frame, ribs etc. She simply never gains and is a total skinny bean, again, my vet says she is fine. (I thought she weighed a bit more than this actually, I never really weigh them.)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Roo looks to be at a beautiful, ideal weight! For chi's a little too thin, is always better than a little too pudgy.

I would say that Roo, while not grossly overweight, could probably lose .5-.75 and be a much nicer weight for his frame.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I agree. Roo has the exact shape as Maya & is the exact same weight as her too! :) I actually tried to put a little weight on her when we first got her thinking she was way too skinny & she immediately started looking TOO fat. So I just chalked it up to having a thin frame. :)

Pip looks like he could loose a tad. I'd probably just start leveling off his 1/8c & see how that does. He doesn't look really over weight though...just looks like he may have some extra "padding" there. :)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ladies. :) That's my feeling too, I think he'd be better/healthier a bit thinner with less padding. I'll try leveling it off and see if that does the trick. Hopefully that will be enough to get it off. The papers from rescue say he weighed 4.5 pounds in October 2009, not sure how accurate that was though. Seems a bit light for him, I think.

Pip is a little chubby he looks like daisy does dry
Roo looks fine she looks like daisy wet lol
LOL. :D

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree. I think Pip could lose a few ounces. Roo looks fine to me, just right. Some might not like her so thin but it's so much better for their bones/joints to not have the excess weight. :)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Tracy. :) What would you think Pip's weight should be optimally? 5.0 or less?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Thanks Tracy. :) Would you think Pip's weight should be optimally? 5.0 or less?
I'd take him down to 5.0 and re-evaluate. I bet just those few ounces will make a big difference. I love that thick coat of his! Brody is a baldy like Roo!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd take him down to 5.0 and re-evaluate. I bet just those few ounces will make a big difference. I love that thick coat of his! Brody is a baldy like Roo!
ok thank you, I'll see how it goes. :) Ha, yes, Roo is a real baldie. She does have a bit of color dilution alopecia too unfortunately on her head and back.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Aww, Pip looks good but I agree, he could probably lose a tiny bit and be just fine then too.

Roo looks good too, she actually looks just like our Faith does and even Faith has ribs and spine that I think are a little too easily felt but our vet thinks Faith is still okay in that body condition.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aww, Pip looks good but I agree, he could probably lose a tiny bit and be just fine then too.

Roo looks good too, she actually looks just like our Faith does and even Faith has ribs and spine that I think are a little too easily felt but our vet thinks Faith is still okay in that body condition.
Thanks Val. That makes me feel better that Faith has the same "ribs and spine" body type. I guess that is just their body type then. My vet thinks Roo is skinny, but totally fine. Being able to see/feel her spine and ribs just made me think she was too thin, but it may just be her body type, I guess. She certainly eats enough, has a good appetite etc. She loves her food, hehe. :) I'll see how it goes with Pip, I think he'll lose it quite easily if I feed him less.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I don't know much about weight as you already know....if I don't have this board I would think that Pip is looking fine...hehehe...:)..

·
Registered
787 Posts
I agree with the other folks. I think Pip looks lovely, but he might have a bit of extra 'squish' on his chest and sides. My general rule of thumb is that I should be able to feel their ribs and spine very easily, but I shouldn't be able to see them. If I can see them, I need to feed a little more. If I have to press down to feel them, time to feed a little less.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Oh boy!! She looks fine to me, and that's how my Peppi and Lourdes looks, so they are overweight as well :( but i am already giving them so little...
I'll wait till the winter is over, and we can have more activities in the spring :)

A while back Roxy had upset tummy and I cut down all the extra things I usually give them like treats, it went on like that for about a month and half, and actually they all lost about 200-300 grams during that time.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks so much for everyone's thoughts on this. He seemed to do fine with a bit more food initially, but since the weather has become so cold/snowy he's not getting as much exercise/walks, plus I'm feeding him THK Embark now (which is a higher calorie formula but he doesn't do as well on Force which has chicken) so I think it's been a combination of that. He was thinner in the Spring and Summer. Anyway, hopefully I'll have it off him soon. :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Well of course you know I think they are both just as cute as can be but I do think you could shave that .4 lbs off of Pip and it would be in his best interest. At that point you can re-assess and see what you think.

Roo looks great to me -- I much prefer them thinner than on the chunkier side, as others have said :) She has a very thin frame just like Oakley does and anything extra is no good b'c their bones are itty bitty teeny tiny :)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well of course you know I think they are both just as cute as can be but I do think you could shave that .4 lbs off of Pip and it would be in his best interest. At that point you can re-assess and see what you think.

Roo looks great to me -- I much prefer them thinner than on the chunkier side, as others have said :) She has a very thin frame just like Oakley does and anything extra is no good b'c their bones are itty bitty teeny tiny :)
Thanks Kristi. :) Hopefully shaving that .4 off will be all he needs. I'll see how it goes after he loses it.

Roo, for the most part I think she is fine, but people are *always* telling me she is too thin. I constantly get, you need to feed her more etc. etc. (She eats fine and has a good appetite.) You can even see her spine a wee bit which made me wonder a bit too. That said, I'd rather her be a little too thin, than a little chubby though, of course.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
It can be so hard to tell, and they have so many different body types! Miley and Reese are built totally differently too. Pip reminds me a LOT of Reese, although Reese is a bigger boy at nearly 7 lbs...really good tuck, defined waist and the vet says great weight, but has some extra padding that I can pinch a bit on his ribs and around his shoulders. They both have the same coat type too, that double coat definitely makes them appear bulkier.
Ive been trying to get a few ounces off Reese as well, and Im doing the same as you, I had been giving him a bit over 1/4 cup of his Orijen twice a day, and now Im doing right at 1/4 cup. Nothing extreme, just enough that Im hoping he will lose a couple ounces over time. It can be so hard to judge, with dogs this tiny an ounce or two in either direction makes such a big difference, and something as simple as whether theyve just pooped can alter their weight by a few ounces too! I think youre doing the right thing by just cutting him back a bit, and of course keep him as active as you can during these lazy winter months.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It can be so hard to tell, and they have so many different body types! Miley and Reese are built totally differently too. Pip reminds me a LOT of Reese, although Reese is a bigger boy at nearly 7 lbs...really good tuck, defined waist and the vet says great weight, but has some extra padding that I can pinch a bit on his ribs and around his shoulders. They both have the same coat type too, that double coat definitely makes them appear bulkier.
Ive been trying to get a few ounces off Reese as well, and Im doing the same as you, I had been giving him a bit over 1/4 cup of his Orijen twice a day, and now Im doing right at 1/4 cup. Nothing extreme, just enough that Im hoping he will lose a couple ounces over time. It can be so hard to judge, with dogs this tiny an ounce or two in either direction makes such a big difference, and something as simple as whether theyve just pooped can alter their weight by a few ounces too! I think youre doing the right thing by just cutting him back a bit, and of course keep him as active as you can during these lazy winter months.
Thanks Katy. :) I wish I hadn't given him that extra bit now. He was fine during the Spring and Summer, it just started creeping on when it got cold here and he started getting less exercise. Plus when you see them every day sometimes you don't notice it creeping on right away. I'm really a stickler for keeping my pups thin, so I'm surprised I wasn't more observant with it. I think Pip does have a tendency to put weight on too, whereas Roo not at all.

I can't tell Reese has any extra weight on him from the pics I see so it's probably just a little. That little extra padding, like you said. Good luck with Reese. Let us know how it goes. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts