Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I know I've been off the board for about a month...life just gets so busy with the fur kids of course, a daughter in Nursing school and my 2 jobs and since I'm on a computer all day with work, a lot of times the last thing I want to do is get back on one when I'm home, lol.

Carolina and Indy are doing great. I should post some new pictures, when I get around to taking some new ones.

On to the real question. An opportunity has presented itself twice to me in the last 3 months to add the same young adult female chi to our family. Is that a sign in itself? I'm just feeling really conflicted on one major area.. doing what's best for all of us, including this chi. She is available from a breeder that started showing her in confirmation, but has found she, the chi, does not appear to like it very much and as she finished growing (she's now 20 months and 4lbs 3 oz) her top line in not completely level, as her rear is a little higher than what she'd like for showing or breeding. Not a problem for pet obviously so she's offering her to a pet home. She is the same coloring as Carolina, red spotted on white, markings being a little different and of course that was my immediate attraction to her. As I've been going over in my head again this last week the pros and cons, most of the common ones are not an issue for me. Cons of added medical, total financial, providing a lifetime home, more time involved for a 3rd, etc.. Pros of another one to love, being able to provide a good home for her lifetime, not having to go through puppy stages and training, my current 2 having the personality and training to handle a 3rd coming into the household, Carolina having a sister to play with, as Indy is not big on playing all day, where Carolina is. The biggest thing I'm stuck on is changing the household dynamics and forming a "pack". I don't want Carolina's personality to change, Indy on the other hand might benefit from some "pack" type changes. Our current balance of 2 works as Carolina is completely a momma's girl and Indy is more of a daddy's boy. Is a 3rd going to upset Carolina that someone else is also getting my attention? There are times she doesn't want to let Indy sit next to me. She's never mean and never fights with him, she will just keep wiggling her way in between us until he moves over. We take our 2 on vacations with us and is a 3rd going to be too much? Is one of them going to feel left out? I also don't want to do this for my selfish reasons of wanting to have another chi to love and be in our family...I want to make sure it's a good choice for Carolina and Indy too and that they would benefit from it also.

Any input, thoughts, experiences or suggestions on anything else I should consider would greatly be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Hi Michele! Miss you and my Carolina pics around here. It's good to have you back. Sounds like you've been crazy busy!

Well you know what I'm going to say. I had 2 chi's for a couple years before adding the third and I too had all of the same worries. Once we got over the hurdle of acceptance from my two chi's to this new addition I brought into their lives, I must say the experience turned out better than I could've imagined and I wonder why I had so many worries in the first place. It did take a long while ( few months) for my most attached to me chi Bailey to accept Braxton. Having 3 made it easier for me to add a 4th. And frankly...Brax grew up to be opposite of her outgoing puppy personality, she's a very sweet, quiet, easy going adult. Once I brought in Ava, everyone got used to her pretty quickly. Ava sounds like Carolina in that she really is a mommas girl, if she's in my lap she thinks it is solely hers. But still I say we have just as nice a balance as a 4 chi household as we did as 3 and 2. Remember that everyone will find their place eventually. And you don't know with the new pup where she may fall in your household, she may be more of a loner like Brax lol, or independent like Kendall. Whatever the case, it'll work out. And there's a reason this breeder thinks this chi is a great fit for you. Sounds like you have everything to offer and this chi has everything to gain so I say go for it.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
hi Michele !
that is so exciting that your considering adding a 3rd chi !!!
For me, two chis is def. better than having one chi, and 3 chis is much better that having two chis :D. I guess it must depend on the personality of your chis. do they like other dogs ? mine are all good natured girls and they accepted Ellie right away. I don't think Carolina will be upset as long as she still feels just as loved and gets a lot of your attention. try to make them think that this new dog that is being added to your family is for them. a new sister !!! I think you should get her but , whatever decision you make , i'm sure it will be the right one for you

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I would say the biggest con with three is you only have two hands, so walking, carrying them etc requires a little more thought.
Having more than two definitely won't make your existing dogs love you any less. Domestic dogs are not actually pack animals, they consider themselves part of your family no matter how many there are.
The advantage with the possible new dog being an adult is you can take her out with your two first and see how they respond to each other. If all goes well you could take her on trial to see how she fits in.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Michele! Miss you and my Carolina pics around here. It's good to have you back. Sounds like you've been crazy busy!

Well you know what I'm going to say. I had 2 chi's for a couple years before adding the third and I too had all of the same worries. Once we got over the hurdle of acceptance from my two chi's to this new addition I brought into their lives, I must say the experience turned out better than I could've imagined and I wonder why I had so many worries in the first place. It did take a long while ( few months) for my most attached to me chi Bailey to accept Braxton. Having 3 made it easier for me to add a 4th. And frankly...Brax grew up to be opposite of her outgoing puppy personality, she's a very sweet, quiet, easy going adult. Once I brought in Ava, everyone got used to her pretty quickly. Ava sounds like Carolina in that she really is a mommas girl, if she's in my lap she thinks it is solely hers. But still I say we have just as nice a balance as a 4 chi household as we did as 3 and 2. Remember that everyone will find their place eventually. And you don't know with the new pup where she may fall in your household, she may be more of a loner like Brax lol, or independent like Kendall. Whatever the case, it'll work out. And there's a reason this breeder thinks this chi is a great fit for you. Sounds like you have everything to offer and this chi has everything to gain so I say go for it.
I had a feeling you would say something like that. Thanks for the encouraging words. Carolina and Ava do sound a lot a like, being momma girls. I am afraid adding number 3 would open the door for 4, haha. I really have a lot to think about.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi Michele !
that is so exciting that your considering adding a 3rd chi !!!
For me, two chis is def. better than having one chi, and 3 chis is much better that having two chis :D. I guess it must depend on the personality of your chis. do they like other dogs ? mine are all good natured girls and they accepted Ellie right away. I don't think Carolina will be upset as long as she still feels just as loved and gets a lot of your attention. try to make them think that this new dog that is being added to your family is for them. a new sister !!! I think you should get her but , whatever decision you make , i'm sure it will be the right one for you
Hi Elaina. Thank you for the encouraging words too. I'm trying not to get too excited because I have not convinced myself that this is a great move to make yet. I completely agree 2 is better than 1, just not sure if I'm 100% sure 3 is better than 2 yet. Indy loves other small dogs and wags his tail and get excited, Carolina on the other hand is very polite, but not real interested or excited.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would say the biggest con with three is you only have two hands, so walking, carrying them etc requires a little more thought.
Having more than two definitely won't make your existing dogs love you any less. Domestic dogs are not actually pack animals, they consider themselves part of your family no matter how many there are.
The advantage with the possible new dog being an adult is you can take her out with your two first and see how they respond to each other. If all goes well you could take her on trial to see how she fits in.
Thank you for the input. Interesting point on domestic dogs not actually being pack animals. Makes sense what your saying. Most of the research I've done online states otherwise, but you can't believe everything you read either.

Good thought on maybe discussing with the breeder taking her on trial and options if it wouldn't work out. A good breeder should be more than willing to take a dog back for any reason.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I have 3 dogs, two are tinies. (one pure chi, one chorkie) and one is a heeler, boston terrier cross. Douglas, the chi, was the original dog- there was also a family dog who was a large breed senior.

He accepted Alli joining the family really well. I made sure he didn't feel unloved or unwanted. They both took to Kaira pretty well. Alli can be grouchy and so can Doug, and Kaira is pretty young so she tended to get on their nerves until she learned some social skills, but it all went fine overall.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hi! I agonized over the decision to add Bentley to my family. But I am so glad that I did! I was worried that Beverly's personality would change too. And to be honest, it did. But for the better! She is more energetic and playful, and she is so much more confident and brave. Bentley gives her courage and she does the same for him. She is still my little cuddle bug, but if I am busy with homework or if I am at work I know she is ok and has a playmate. Carolina might be way happier with a playmate, and Indy might be happier to be able to relax more again. Having Bentley has been hard at times and certainly more expensive, but totally worth it. Good luck making your decision, I know you will choose what is best for you and your doggies!

·
Registered
839 Posts
We just added our third to the family 8 weeks ago when we brought Finley home at 7 weeks old. I had the same concerns about adding a third - would it mess up the dynamics of our family, and of the relationship between the two we already had? But worrying turned out to be a huge waste of time. After the initial time to adjust to a new puppy in the group, I could not be happier with how things have turned out!

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
We just added our third to the family 8 weeks ago when we brought Finley home at 7 weeks old. I had the same concerns about adding a third - would it mess up the dynamics of our family, and of the relationship between the two we already had? But worrying turned out to be a huge waste of time. After the initial time to adjust to a new puppy in the group, I could not be happier with how things have turned out!
I've always said after adding that new addition, once things are flowing well...you wonder why you worried in the first place.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
you know what im going to say. . .yes! i think you should do it :)
you have provided Carolina and indy with a great home and so i think it would be lovely for the puppy to have you as a mammy too!
if you decided to get her, have you any ideas for names?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
you know what im going to say. . .yes! i think you should do it

you have provided Carolina and indy with a great home and so i think it would be lovely for the puppy to have you as a mammy too!

Go to my Ava and Braxton's twinsies day thread Jessica, there is a picture of Michelle's potential new chi in there. She is so cute!

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts

Go to my Ava and Braxton's twinsies day thread Jessica, there is a picture of Michelle's potential new chi in there. She is so cute!
Will look now :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts