Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I called the meat processing plant here that used to give me my bones and they have agreed to give me 5 gallon buckets of liver, kidney and hearts for $5.00 not to sale the meat but for the added labor that it would take to get them out. I thought that was reasonable and they are going to give me bones again free, meaning cow bones they will be for the big dogs.

I am not sure how much I will need to give to both big dogs an chi's so I was wondering if you guys could tell me more about organs when it came to RAW and also tell me how long these would keep frozen?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was reading my Dane site today and all of them fast their dogs before starting RAW?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I know the liver is good for them boiled...anything else i dont know..bones i would cook. i hope others have better answer than i do

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Are the organs going to be mixed together? That is definitely a good deal - it will just take a bit of work on your part in sorting them out a bit. I mean I personally would want the heart seperate since they are considered a muscle meat. And the liver & kidney as long as you can differentiate which is which I'd just split it somewhat evenly in smaller baggies & freeze. I don't know how long they keep in the freezer. Quite long I'm assuming since dogs don't care if the meat is a little freezer burnt. :)

As for the bones - I'm sure you know not to cook them. ;) I'd be very careful of any weight bearing bones though as they can be so hard they chip/crack teeth. I'd probably scrap those. But for ribs & such...they can be great for chewing & if you can get them small enough I'd even give them to your Chi's to chew! Great for cleaning those toofers! :D

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I know the liver is good for them boiled...anything else i dont know..bones i would cook. i hope others have better answer than i do
DO NOT cook the bones, they become brittle and can splinter and cause lacerations/ulcerations in the intestines. We have a little Sheltie in our hospital right now, who's 'daycare' thought it would be a good idea to give the dogs the leftovers after a pig roast, so she ate the cooked skin, fat and bones, she has lacerations in her intestines and a severe case of pancreatitis and is in critical condition.

The organ content should be 10% of their diet, 1/2 of that needs to be liver then the other 1/2 another type of secreting organ (kidneys, brain, etc). Heart is not considered organ. I feed my dogs their organs once a week (so one day they get their liver, then a few days later they get their kidneys) I always feed with a boney meal too, as it was easier than trying to get 1/10th of an oz for Zoey every day. I also feed my organs about 1/2 froze as Zoey doesn't like the texture all thawed (it's like jello). You can store them indefinitely in the freezer. I didn't fast my dogs before switching to raw I just switched them cold turkey, they both transitioned very smoothly.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I was reading my Dane site today and all of them fast their dogs before starting RAW?
No, you don't have to. Some people fast for a day and then start the next day so the dogs have an empty tummy and are hungry for something new. Certainly not something you have to do. I know people who aren't ready to switch to raw yet and do one kibble meal in the morning and raw in the afternoon.

Yes, liver is great for them! It is actually a required 5% of the diet. But NO, never boiled. Raw is best. If they are squeamish about eating it (some dogs don't like the texture of it raw), there are tricks to get them to eat it. But we will cross that bridge later. And of course you NEVER EVER cook bones. EVER. That could cause an impaction, an obstruction, etc. Bones change when they are cooked and become hard. Raw bones are flexible. Cooked bones are NEVER given. I wish they would stop selling those cooked smoked bones in the pet stores. Terrible. Ok, rant over.

Okay I called the meat processing plant here that used to give me my bones and they have agreed to give me 5 gallon buckets of liver, kidney and hearts for $5.00 not to sale the meat but for the added labor that it would take to get them out. I thought that was reasonable and they are going to give me bones again free, meaning cow bones they will be for the big dogs.

I am not sure how much I will need to give to both big dogs an chi's so I was wondering if you guys could tell me more about organs when it came to RAW and also tell me how long these would keep frozen?
You are LUCKY girl!!! Sooooooooooooo lucky!! Hearts are fed as meat, they are muscle. Heart is a staple for most raw feeders, it is loaded with vitamins/minerals and is about the best red meat you can feed. They will keep in the freezer for YEARS. Count your lucky stars.

Ok - here's the scoop on organs. They are 10% of the diet. 5% being liver and 5% another organ such as the kidney. You will WAIT to add in organs until later. Once everything is going great on the pre-made. If you are feeding the pre-made exclusively and not doing it yourself - you do NOT need to add organs or anything else, maybe a little extra meat at times. But the pre-mades are already balanced. They are complete.

If you decide to 'do it yourself' without the pre-made, that's when you will stick to the guidelines of 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% organs.

With such a GREAT deal on meat, it would be quite affordable to switch all your dogs over to prey model raw. Using heart as a staple, add in some chicken and then you have your liver/kidney.

Does anyone in your area hunt? Remember to ask them for meat from last year if they are cleaning out their freezers, etc.

Are you thinking about going to a prey model diet yourself and not doing the pre-made?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Michelle you're so lucky I'd love that so u have freezer space???

I give 1oz of liver and kidney a week :) some people sear their liver as the dogs don't like the texture mine don't care also I think liver gets mre nutrients when it's cooked unlike other meats etc

Mine adore heart!! They are v jealousand want to come for dinner

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I knew that you do not cook bones and you do not cook/boil liver. Thanks for educating the 1st responder though ;-)

Yes Tracy, As soon as my bag of premade is over I will be starting up RAW myself and if I can get my hands on as much RAW for the big guys I will also incorporate it into their diets :)

Both Yoshi and Chibi seem to be regurgitating a bit, not actually vomiting but it seems to be coming up a bit and then they swallow it back, Yoshi did it last night after the feeding and then has been doing it a bit this morning, Chibi has done it a few times this morning but not so noticeable with him? Is this normal?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
It's totally normal basically they only chew it enough to make it small enough to get down their throat sometimes they are too excited and hock it back up and re eat it :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yes, I knew that you do not cook bones and you do not cook/boil liver. Thanks for educating the 1st responder though ;-)

Yes Tracy, As soon as my bag of premade is over I will be starting up RAW myself and if I can get my hands on as much RAW for the big guys I will also incorporate it into their diets :)

Both Yoshi and Chibi seem to be regurgitating a bit, not actually vomiting but it seems to be coming up a bit and then they swallow it back, Yoshi did it last night after the feeding and then has been doing it a bit this morning, Chibi has done it a few times this morning but not so noticeable with him? Is this normal?
I think you will be happy with do it yourself raw! You can control the ingredients. Pre-mades are fine, don't get me wrong, but it's nice to be able to pick out the meat they are eating and have full control over it.

Was the regurgitation after the pre-made? Sometimes they will do that if they swallow a chunk and it doesn't go down right. They will hork it up and then re-try until it fits down their esophagus. But that is more common with the do it yourself. It's possible there's a sensitivity to something in the pre-made or they just ate it too fast.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Probably ate it to fast. This mornings was due to the premade and last nights was just chicken I gave them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts