Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! :) I've been searching for a new food for my girls and I hear Orijen Puppy Food is really good being a non-grain dog food.

I also hear that it causes liver damage because of the high protein content in it.

Is this food really safe?

Do any of you use it?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
There's a lot of controversy out on whether or not the super-high protein in most grain-free dogs is good for them or not (especially when its just a companion dog, not a high-energy working dog); like you said some studies show it can cause liver problems. It's mentioned in a lot of the dogfoodanalysis.com reviews for some of the common grain-free brands.

Evo for example is prolly rated as one of the best foods but has I think over 42% protein? Yet a lot of smaller less active dogs DO eat it and do fine. That said, a lot of people also say their dogs "do fine" on Purina, Iams, etc. ;) So, it's one of those things that only time will tell and more research will need to be done... you just gotta go with what YOU'RE comfortable with.

Grain-free brands that I've used that have a lower protein are

*Merrick's "Before Grain" Chicken
*Earthborn Holistic's Primitive Natural
*Taste Of The Wild High Prairie

...or you could go with raw. Meh, I'm still feeding kibble.. I admit it... but I'm getting there lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts