Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So oscar had his first bit of training Tuesday night and he was the only dog that wouldnt sit :(
We got home and practised and realised he would only sit on command (eventually) on the sofa or carpet!!
The little bugger wont do it on hard flooring!
Really want to show the trainer that we got him to sit but I dont think we will :(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
This can be hard work but if you stick at it he will do. My ninja does sit,down,paw,other paw and speak so far.

Get a treat and stand up so your boy is looking up at you. Just keep saying sit until he does it -he will at some point lol- then give the small treat. Keep doing this until he gets the hang of it.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
If it is just the hard floor, take a small mat (carpet sample or similar) for him to sit on at training classes. (Assuming you aren't aiming for competitive obedience.)
Other than that an extra tasty, really high value treat should do the trick. I use cooked chicken or dried liver.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I agree with Wicked Pixie, bringing a little mat is a good idea. My Coco was like that. She refused to sit or lie down on hard floors. Only on carpet, couch, bed, blanket. We tried and tried, but there was nothing to do. She just looked at us like "NO WAY and no treat is worth it so forget it". ;)

·
Registered
189 Posts
A really good behaviorist once told me that chis will only sit on carpet/soft surfaces. We were encouraged to bring a pad for our chis to class. She said this is the way of the average chi and especially in early training it is very important to have the dog as comfortable as possible and to set hem up for success. Later, when he is very confirmed in his training, you can work on different surfaces. This behaviorist was amazing. I can't tell you how much I still find her advice on various subjects to be so true and effective! :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I agree too, take a small mat or blanket. i finished 'puppy training classes' with my Prince a few weeks back and at first he would NOT sit or lie on hard floors, it was like he was going to do it but something stopped him. At home he would lie down everywhere except on the hard floors and concrete part of the garden. I assumed it was because of how cold they were?? Anyway we took a small mat to the classes with us and he would sit and lie down on that.. I don't know what happened but he eventually started lying down and sitting on hard floors. He must of done it once and realised it wasn't too bad lol ;) Try lowing his bum down to the ground with your hand slowly :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts