Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to check out a new farm shop that has a brilliant butcher (they have their own poultry and pigs on site) and see what they can provide for the dogs to increase the variety in their diet. They mostly get supermarket meats, plus lambs hearts, various livers and kidneys and tripe. I would like to get poultry necks, as they mostly get their bone from chicken wings and occasionally pork ribs (not so easy to find these days for some reason) but I'm not sure what else to ask for.
What other organs do you all recommend? I thought of asking for spleen and pancreas, maybe gizzards, anything else?
What about other bones? My local butcher only ever gives me large beef bones, which are great for recreational chewing (they are massive, bigger than the dogs heads lol I think he forgets they are Chihuahuas!)
Because this new place do their own butchery I am hoping they will have everything available.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You can ask for pancreas or thymus or spleen. I think the pancreas is sometimes called 'shortbread'? Some butcher shops sell brains, some don't. You have an awesome variety, that's great! Good luck!

Gizzards are fed as meat, not organ. But yes, they are great for variety and a good chewy meat. Any heart you can get is also really good. (Beef, lamb, pork, even turkey).

For good edible bone, you could ask for lamb breast with bone. It tends to be fatty, so trim that away, but it has good edible bones. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
You can feed any organ except the intestinal tract.

Eye balls are fun, brains, spleen, pancreas, lungs, trachea...

Heart and tongue are not technically organs but they are a very rich muscle meat. Kind of inbetween organs and red meat.

FWIW - Fat is good for the dogs, whatever you trim off can be used to supplement other lean means like Venison.

Oh also you can buy raw bull penis. Its just a raw bully stick. I have bought it for 0.50$ and you can dehydrate it to make your own bully sticks. They come with A LOT of fat that is great for supplementing lean meats.

I keep editing this LOL

I give my Chi all sorts of bones and he does his best.

Ribs are great for front teeth action. He really like pork neck (the bigger the piece the better). Chicken feet are full of glucosamine. He can scarf down a big chicken foot in no time. Turkey necks are fun for the little dogs and again, provide great recreation time and front tooth action. Sprocket gets pork shoulders too. I like how thin they are so he can crunch them like a chip. He did a number on a deer head recently.

I give Sprocket the same bones that the big dogs get but he usually relenquishes them after a while and the big dogs finish them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts