Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Less than two weeks after her second birthday, our beloved guinea pig, Minnie, passed away yesterday. It is with a heavy heart and teary eyes that I write this and remember her the way that she was...happy, active, loving and extremely vocal. Our once wheek filled home is now silent. Minnie lived a happy full two years with us and will forever bring joy to my heart.

Yesterday morning started like any other, I fed all three guinea pigs and cleaned their cage. Minnie was feisty as always and was getting in my way like she does every day...oh how I wish she was in my way this morning. :cry: We had gone out for the day and came back in the late afternoon. I prepared the guinea pigs' veggie dinner and brought it to them. Rocky and Jasmine ran over and started eating. As I turned to leave the room I realized that Minnie hadn't come out to the food. I came back and found her on her side unable to move and hardly breathing. I called my husband and we rushed to her and removed her from the cage trying to figure out what was wrong. Less than 30 minutes later she died in my husband's arms. I hope she knows how much she was loved and I am glad that she did not die alone. She has left a hole in our hearts that just cannot be filled.

Rest in peace baby girl, we will miss you terribly. :crybaby:

Minnie (center)

Minnie (center)

Minnie (left)

:crybaby:

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Val, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how much you and your husband love Minnie. Take comfort knowing that Minnie had a wonderful life with you, and she passed surrounded with lots of love.

R.I.P. Minnie

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss, Val. :( I know it's so hard when we lose our little furry friends. She sounds like a total sweetheart who had a wonderful life and was so very loved. RIP little Minnie. xx

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your kind words, the last 24 hours have been very hard on us. We expected a lot more years with her but are thankful for the little time we did have to share with her in our lives. We are definitely better off having loved and lost her than never having loved her at all. I do also take comfort in knowing she did not die alone but held on until we were with her and could say our good-byes.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
OMG Val, I am sitting here bawling my eyes out. She was so healthy and perfectly fine??? I am so sad for you right now. I have loved every minute of your piggies. Thank god she didn't die alone and you are the best Mom ever to all of your animals. I know what she meant to you and hubby and you gave her such an amazing life. We are sharing in your sadness and I so know how you feel right now. Hugs to all of you honey and prayers that you are feeling better soon. I am just so terribly sad for you right now...

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I am so sad to hear of Minnie's passing. She was an awesome little girl and will be missed. She had a good life with you. Rest in peace Minnie.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the condolences everyone, it truly means a lot to know so many people care.

Robin, she actually wasn't perfectly fine but I didn't recognize that something was wrong soon enough. In hindsight I realize there were several signals that should have told me something was wrong. For the previous two days before she died, she had been much much quieter than usual. I ignored the quiet thinking she was just tired. Another signal I didn't pay enough attention to was that the past two weeks she had been losing weight but she seemed healthy regardless so I didn't think too much of it. Then the morning that she died, I noticed that there was diarrhea all over their cage so I knew that something was up with one of them but I didn't know who...now I am positive the diarrhea was from Minnie, bless her little heart. I didn't put two and two together at the time I was noticing these changes and I feel awful for not realizing that something was up. But you know what they say, hindsight is 20/20. Now I realize that all these little changes were related to whatever happened to her. I still don't know what exactly caused her death but I just hope she did not suffer as I feel bad enough knowing that there were signs pointing to a problem that I did not act on.

She is now buried in our yard and come spring we will be planting flowers over her grave in honor and loving memory of her. She absolutely deserves it.

Since Minnie died, Dakota has been following me everywhere and has been very mopey. He doesn't want to leave my side and he seems very sad. Even when I try to walk or play with him, he just isn't interested. My husband thinks he is picking up on my emotions and mood since he has been like this since the moment we discovered Minnie dying. :( I try acting happy to cheer him up but it's like he just knows and can see right through me. I am doing my best to keep busy so that I can take my mind off of Minnie, my head is pounding from all the crying. It never gets any easier.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
OH NO! I am so sorry.I have not been on lately because I have been taking care of a sick aunt.I would have posted sooner.She was a sweet looking girl.R.I.P. Minnie.IT will get easier with time.I promise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts