Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently adopted a 2 year old Chihuahua who immediately bonded with my 10 year old daughter. I mean REALLY bonded with her. While she and my daughter are nearly inseparable, she does get along just fine with our other family members, and is even friendly to visitors to our house. However, she avoids me at all costs, and sometimes can act very aggressively towards me. If I'm alone at home with her, she keeps her distance, and will not let me approach her. If she is with my daughter, she is so protective, that she growls and threatens to bite me. Since day one, I have always tried to show affection to our dog, but she makes it very clear that she doesn't want me around. She doesn't act this way to anyone else, so I'm curious as to why she has singled me out, and how I can break this behavior.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi, chihuahuas are very protective once they have bonded with someone. They are eager to please. My sister is having the same problem duke has attached himself to her and will Be scared of her husband and keeps his distance to and he is 5 months old. Have you tried the clicker then treat. Teach him to sit at first and so on and reward for good behaviour. Maybe your daughter should put him down whenever he go for you or shows signs of aggression towards you. This will show that he is not on control and he will learn to build his confidence like yourself with each other. Good luck .x

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Is agree with your daughter not giving in to this pups aggression. As SOON as he growls, have your daughter put him on the floor and walk away for 15 seconds or so. You can work on this pup, if he is food driven that would be great. Toss a treat at him, and slowly work up to the fact he will have to come to you and get a treat out of your hand.

Do you know if he was mistreated by a woman? Is your daughter grown, or a child? If your daughter is a child, maybe the dog was mistreated. Or there was no woman in the former household??

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Was she mistreated by a woman before you adopted her? This aggression will be hard to break but, she has to learn to trust you, sounds like , to me, she is afraid of you. We adopted a Fox terrier 17 years ago, she was about a year old and was mistreated by a man, took her a long time to warm up to my husband, but with gentle talk from him and him not making a big deal about it she came around, we lost her this past Dec , never was really sure of her age.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, I am a man, but I understand what you are asking. I don't know her history before we adopted her, but she seems okay with other males, but she does seem to have a slight preference to female humans, so maybe there is a gender thing...also, I am tall, 6'3", maybe my height reminds her of someone negative in her past.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I think she must have been abused by a man as you say something from her past.I'm sure with a lot of TLC and help from great people on here who have been through the same you'll get there

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Jaxx was very scared of my hubby when we first brought him home. He wasn't aggressive but he wanted nothing to do with him.
I had hubby sit on the floor with treats and just let Jaxx come to him when he wanted too. It made sense to me that hubby is six foot four inches and probably seemed like a giant to Jaxx.
I also had hubby bond with Jaxx by taking structured (not just potty breaks) walks so that they were doing something Jaxx would like together.
I am still Jaxx's person but he has to have time with hubby too.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
How long have you have you had her? Do you participate in her care giving?
Training is an excellent way to bond with your dog. Also walking. We got Angel as a baby, but he was very nippy! He would bite me in a heartbeat! I have scars from him! At times I was going to give up training him because I was very hurt and angry. Of course, hubby was the "good guy!" He didn't train him at all! He only kept him in his lap and gave him treats all the time! :rolleyes: but I persisted and now, two years later, he has made huge progress! I am very proud of him!

Your daughter has to reject his agressIveness toward you. I realize that her being ten years old can be difficult! There is a member on here that has made a "total transformation" on a stray. You may want to check out her posts and maybe pm her if she doesn't mind - dog in the desert!

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here, I'm sure you will get some great advice! Good luck!

We need pictures!:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reply.

It's funny, but yesterday we had severe thunderstorms. We learned that she is afraid of thunder. She actually jumped up on my lap when the thunder would shake the house. I thought maybe she decided to be my friend! But after the storms it was business as usual!

It sounds like I just need to be patient. Over time, maybe she will come around. I think Chihuahuas are notoriously slow at changing behavior. We are also having a potty-training issues with her, but that's a post for another time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts