Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bella is 15 weeks and has all of her puppy shots so yesterday we went to the store and bought her a pretty harness. So last night i took her on a walk but it was more of like smell every blade of grass type of thing. She has never been outside on the ground like this before and i know they are millions of new smells. She was so cute though, it was priceless. Did your pups outgrow this? Or what did you do to make it more of a WALK? :D

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
for the first couple weeks everytime Gadget went outside he smelled everything and anything he could... It drove me nuts because I was standing more then I was walking... then he got into the peeing outside thing and he stopped smelling everything.... now he has his spots he likes to pee on and he hits every one of them on our walks...

we walk alot around the park so he is always walking somewhere.... everytime I go outside he is out there with me... there are tiems that he goes out walking 10 times a day and thent here are days where we only go out a couple times...

If he was to smell everything everytime he wouldn't get anywhere... ehheheheh

good luck with the walking.... she will get better at walking...

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
The best way to get her to stop smelling and start walking would be to keep her head up but if you're using a harness, that's pretty much impossible. You DO want her to smell around so if she ever gets out accidentally, she can find her way home by smell, so it is a good thing to a certain degree.

You might try keeping a squeak toy with you and squeaking it to keep her attention and her head up or just talk to her and keep walking slowly to avoid dragging and keep her going.

The big world is probably overwhelming to her though; you may want to take her into your front yard and let her investigate really well a few times before you start walking around a lot. That way, she can get used to being outside on the harness/leash first before she is expected to trot along side you.

Good luck and Happy trails!! :D

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I got Lily when she was 2 but I don't think she'd ever been taken for a walk. Our first walk was... plop butt down, sit and look around, trying to figure out what the heck was going on, then proceed to smell every frigging square inch of ground between the house and the street. It took like 10 minutes to go 10 feet. :lol: I think we actually got about 3 houses away when I finally gave up. After that it got better and now she's absolutely great to take on walks. :wave:

I'm sure Bella will figure out that walking is also part of the fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts