Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone... A little over a month ago I was working at my warehouse in an industrial park in a very rough part of town. As I was walking to my work truck I heard a faint yelp from the other side of the dark parking lot... I turned around and saw something small running towards me. Then in a flash there she was! She was scared, and obviously feeling very unloved and vulnerable... Understandably, she was also nervous about me approaching her because she didn't know me. I tried several times to catch her, but failed. I ended up leaving some food and water for her to have before jumping in the truck and starting my delivery route... The next day as I'm approaching my truck, who comes running out from underneath it? I couldn't believe it, but there she was again. It was an extremely HOT and HUMID night and she had to be tired from the heat I assumed. I had an idea that maybe my height was intimidating to her, so I decided to simply sit down on some stairs and allow her to come to me. She did, and I slowly was allowed to pet her head. She seemed extremely relieved to finally have someone love on her, and care about her. I grabbed her, called my wife, and she drove to my work to get her and bring her back home. It was the BEST decision I ever made... She is the biggest blessing, and absolute sweetest dog we've ever had! We did not know it, but she obviously was preggo at the time we rescued her. It wasn't until a couple weeks after that her nipple size bagan to increase, and she started to blow up like a balloon! She has now doubled in size, and seems so miserable carrying around so much extra weight! We have no clue who the daddy dog is, and are praying he wasn't a real big dog so her puppies will be small enough to pass without complications... I am blown away by how big she is getting, and to be honest it's kind of scaring me a bit! Is this normal? Judging from the pic I am presenting how many do you guys think she may have in her litter? We are doing all we can to give extra love & comfort to her in this very hard time...

Any suggestions or help will be MUCH appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE... Her breathing is fast and heavy right now... Like panting? It sounds like wheezing. Firtst time I've heard her like this - Hope she is ok!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Perhaps you should bring her to the vet so they can help determine how far along she is...they might want to do an X-ray to check how many pups she is carrying as well. I'm sorry I can't be of much help. From the looks, I'd say, 2 or 3. But I could be wrong. The vet is your best bet.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would say 3 or 4 or more! her stomach has 'split' , this is what I call it when they are close. They are usually pretty round and even, but in the last days they have the 'split' in the middle in which you can see the milk bags. My vet will xray only in the last 5 days.
When they are close to delivery most dogs will not eat, and getting closer they pant a lot right before they start contracting and pushing.
good luck!
pam

·
Registered
369 Posts
Congrats on the new addition to your family. I wish you luck on the pups. You will have your hands full very soon. I would run her by a vet for a quick check up and an xray asap just to make sure mom will be OK.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
If she doesn't have them tonight you need to take her to a vet first thing in the morning. Get an x-ray. Since you have no idea what breed of dog or how big the dog was that got her pregnant, there could be trouble. You need to see if they can even fit out...

Have you read up on whelping supplies and gotten together a minimum of what you need?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
If she doesn't have them tonight you need to take her to a vet first thing in the morning. Get an x-ray. Since you have no idea what breed of dog or how big the dog was that got her pregnant, there could be trouble. You need to see if they can even fit out...

Have you read up on whelping supplies and gotten together a minimum of what you need?
Welcome! I agree, I wouldn't just wait to see what happens. You don't know what she mated with. If he was larger, it can be dangerous.

Good luck and I hope you will keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I would definitely take her to the vet. They can also scan her to see if she has an owner and somehow got out and lost. Also call animal control to see if her owners have reported her lost.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
She is at the vet right now... She went into labor at 11am this morning. The first puppy she was able to push 1/4 of the way out and it got stuck. We rushed her to the emergency vet a few blocks away. Unfortunately that first one was stillborn, and did not make it. The vet did X-rays and advised there were 4 more inside. He started her on IV because her calcium was low. We have had her on regular Purina food without knowing she needed to eat puppy food as she got closer to labor. He is giving her some shots to help with the labor also... He said it appears the dad may have been a SHAR PEI... He said they will try their best to have the rest of the labor natural, but if necessary they will do a C-Section. We are praying for her, and awaiting further news how she is doing! Thanks to all for your support, and I'll update as soon as we know more.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update! One puppy was just delivered alive and well... They had to assist with the delivery. They are watching her closely now, with three more to go!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE... 2 of the puppies have been delivered so far. They are both doing well the vet said, and they had to assist with each of them... There are 2 remaining, and we hope they come out OK too!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally! Belle is back from the vet... She lost two and delivered three healthy pups! One white female, a black male, and a gray male... They are all snuggled up to each other, and resting now! Can't believe how cute the little ones are!!!!

Here's a few pics... ENJOY! :eek:ccasion9:

All together

Only Female White

Male Black

Male Gray

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Aw. I'm so glad she's ok. No wonder she was so big - they're huge! I love how the dark one is cuddled around her in the top picture. Thanks for the pictures...they're all gorgeous. I'm so glad you found her and took her home...if she'd had to give birth on her own she probably wouldn't be here. Thank God you were around to save her!

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I am so glad she found a good home with you. So glad you got her to the vet on time. Sorry about the loss of the two little ones but the surviving pups are just adorable, I hope you keep us posted on them,

1 - 20 of 41 Posts