Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got her today she is just under 2 pounds at 8 weeks of age. The breeder had we on diamond free fed. I currently feed my 3 year old male chi instinct raw patties, can I feed her lets say 3 times a day the raw food instead of the free fed kibble ? I didn't start feeding my male 2 times a day until he was 6 months old but I didn't know about the premade raw and that food is just very good for him, super small hard stools and the moisture and protein it contains. My only fear is that the new puppy can get hypoglycemia so I'm trying to figure out how to feed her enough of the raw stuff so I don't have to free feed. Any I put will be greatly appreciated.

Here she is :)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
She is just stunning!
With my two oldest, I free fed until they were a few months old but there are plenty here who have fed raw or premade raw from newborn.
Hopefully they will see this post and chime in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys :( I was thinking of feeding her raw patty+cottage cheese mixed 3 or 4 times a day in order to take the kibble away.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
You absolutely can do that. I only free fed them because we were not home during the day. Had we been, they would have been getting fed just as you have suggested.

I have switched 2 of mine from kibble to premade raw and did it without transition and neither had even a tiny issue.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
When I rescued Jazz she was 11 weeks and very, very sick. I fed her 4X a day till she was well, then moved to 3X. With both her and Tango, for the midday meal (while I was at work) I left a baby Kong with their kibble portion inside it, sealed with tiny dabs of Health Store peanut butter (so there were no additives, chemicals, salt, sugar etc.) and froze the whole thing. It took them a goodly amount of time to get to the kibble, kept them occupied while I wasn't there, and ensured that any hypoglycemia threat was neutralized.

If this is something that appeals to you, I see no reason why you can't feed your raw patties morning and evening when you're home, and then do the kong thing with kibble during the day. When she's graduated to 2X a day feedings, you can phase out the kibble entirely. Or can you chop up one of those raw patties and put it in the kong instead of the kibble? Either way, I think 3X a day at her weight is OK.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
For safety's sake, if you do do the 3 times a day, I would give her a little snack at bedtime to keep her blood sugar up all night. Pepper had his one and only hypoglycemic attack when I got him because I didnt feed him at night. Once he was old enough to sleep out in the pen with Smoke, he was free fed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am gonna do 4 times a day and I'll try to sneak in cottage cheese so it will keep the nutrients flowing. Thank you very much for the advice everyone. I am assuming that at 6 months I can switch her to 2 times a day or maybe 3 ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is she kept separate from the other dogs? You could invest in a food timer, I had one that had two trays and you could set up to 48 hours ahead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts