Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, We just adopted Phoebe. She is approximately 3 years old.
My son and his girlfriend adopted her from a rescue last year.
About 2 weeks ago they broke up and my son brought her home to us.
I couldn't help notice that I could see her spine and ribs. I told my son that something was very wrong with her.
So, I took Phoebe to our vet and had some intensive blood and urine work done on her.
I forgot to mention that when she ate her poop came right out of her basically the same way it went in.
After getting the blood and urine results we found out that Phoebe had no digestive enzymes and was vitamin B12 deficient.
Well I am happy to say that Phoebe has gained weight. She went from 4 lbs to 5 lbs. 2 oz. in less than 2 weeks. I can't even see her ribs anymore.
Yippee! She is fed 1/3 cup rice mixed with homemade meatloaf. We put carrots, peas, zuchinni, (sp) and spinach. I also mix in 1/4 tsp. of digestive enzymes(pork). Her stools are normal now.
I can see in less than 2 weeks that she is happy and loves to cuddle.
:hello1:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Good news that she is gaining weight on the new diet! But where is the calcium? Calcium/phosphorus is CRITICAL so I hope that you are adding that into your diet you are making for her.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Hello, welcome, and congratulations on your success in providing Phoebe with a home and improving her health..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi I didn't know about Calcium. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow(Friday) for her B12 shot. I'll ask then. Thanks, Lorraine

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi and welcome lorriane you did great takeing control of your little chih i think you acctually saved her life good job i love happy stories thanks for shareing

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Hi and welcome :)
Congrats for the new addition to the family. Love the name Phoebe! Good to hear how well she is doing and that she gained weight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, Right now my vet does not want to add anything additional. She did say that she will put Phoebe on calcium/phosphorus supplement. Phoebe does have intestinal issues i.e. digestion, she is on digestive enzymes. She is gaining weight as of Friday past she is now 5 lbs. 5 oz. up from 4 lbs. I did say that I wanted to add kibble to her diet. My other dogs are on Taste of the Wild. It is a very good holistic food. I would have to grind it as they don't make it for small dogs. I'll keep you updated. Thanks, Lorraine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Phoebe's Mom

Good news that she is gaining weight on the new diet! But where is the calcium? Calcium/phosphorus is CRITICAL so I hope that you are adding that into your diet you are making for her.
Hi, Right now my vet does not want to add anything additional. She did say that she will put Phoebe on calcium/phosphorus supplement. Phoebe does have intestinal issues i.e. digestion, she is on digestive enzymes. She is gaining weight as of Friday past she is now 5 lbs. 5 oz. up from 4 lbs. I did say that I wanted to add kibble to her diet. My other dogs are on Taste of the Wild. It is a very good holistic food. I would have to grind it as they don't make it for small dogs. I'll keep you updated. Thanks, Lorraine:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts