Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd been looking for months for a companion for Cinder and a new little one to love. I wanted another chihuahua, of course, but I couldn't seem to find the exact one I wanted. So after lots of looking the perfect little pup fell in my lap. Her owner was rehoming her and contacted me.

Meet Zumi, my new Chinese Crested (Powderpuff)!

She and Cinder have been playing nonstop since Zumi came home two weeks or so ago. They LOVE each other, its great! Zumi is 12 weeks or so old and should be around 10-12lbs full grown. She'll be double Cinder's weight! Right now they're both 5lbs and evenly matched...haha. Zumi looks bigger but shes just SO fluffy.

She has a great happy-go-lucky personality and loves everyone so much she can hardly contain herself. She's a really sweet girl. :D

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Awww she's cute. Congrats! Her coat looks like she might be mixed with a poodle - at least her fur around her legs resembles that of my toy poodle.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I agree, she doesn't look like a purebred crested. Their hair is normally straight, with a double coat and much more like a veil. Her's looks like poodle hair. She is also more in a poodle cut, or at least someone gave her poodle feet. If you want to keep her in correct powderpuff coat find a groomer that knows what they are doing and won't do poodle feet on her and can do her face and ears well.

Regardless of whether or not she is purebred she is really freakin cute! So glad she and Cinder have become best buds!

Here is a picture of a powderpuff crested for those who are interested. They have hair on their entire body. The hairless crested is what a lot of people think of when they think of the breed. They are the ones with no hair the body and plumes on the head, tail and feet.

I am looking to get a hairless crested in a few years to show and love the breed.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, powder puffs are haired. The hairless and powder puffs are born in the same litter. A lot of people also shave their powder puffs down into the hairless 'pony' cut as well. The picture omguthrie posted is a powder puff in a show coat!

I actually have been clipping her myself now. The pics are from the night I got her and she only had part of her face clipped (which the previous owner did). I've done a bit more myself but she's still learning to deal with clippers so we haven't gotten it all down yet. She is purebred. Puppies take awhile to grow their hair out. They start short and puffy. She's only 12 weeks old! Her feet and body hair has not been clipped at all. Her toes are nearly hairless...haha. She -might- be a very very hairy hairless, but I'm not quite sure. I'm on a crested forum and have been talking to them about it. I think only time will tell as she was on very bad food when she came to me, too. If you google pics of powder puff chinese cresteds you can see that they look very poodle and terrier like when completely ungroomed, also. They really get their distinct look from the shaved faces, which they have to do even on the 'hairless' variety. =)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Yeah, powder puffs are haired. The hairless and powder puffs are born in the same litter. A lot of people also shave their powder puffs down into the hairless 'pony' cut as well. The picture omguthrie posted is a powder puff in a show coat!

I actually have been clipping her myself now. The pics are from the night I got her and she only had part of her face clipped (which the previous owner did). I've done a bit more myself but she's still learning to deal with clippers so we haven't gotten it all down yet. She is purebred. Puppies take awhile to grow their hair out. They start short and puffy. She's only 12 weeks old! Her feet and body hair has not been clipped at all. Her toes are nearly hairless...haha. She -might- be a very very hairy hairless, but I'm not quite sure. I'm on a crested forum and have been talking to them about it. I think only time will tell as she was on very bad food when she came to me, too. If you google pics of powder puff chinese cresteds you can see that they look very poodle and terrier like when completely ungroomed, also. They really get their distinct look from the shaved faces, which they have to do even on the 'hairless' variety. =)
Very interesting - I did not know this; the only crested I have seen have always been hairless. She is adorable.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I really like this breed...the powderpuff specifically! She is adorable & looks to be a perfect match to Cinder. :) I can't wait to see what she looks like all grown up with her adult coat! So interesting!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Aww, thanks everyone. We're having a ball, but also dealing with the fun puppy stage again...poo on the carpet this morning and my husband stepped in it...whoops! She went like 3 times, I thought she'd be done...guess that just shows ya can never stop watching a puppy haha! Groooosss...

I love all the chinese cresteds! But I do really love the HHL, too! My husband hates any baldness on a dog tho and would never let me get one...haha. I can deal with a puff though. ;)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
My sister had a Hairy Hairless, he was cute but I couldn't stand touching him...ewww gross lol, he had NASTY blackheads no matter what she did for his skin. His name was Neichien.

·
Registered
809 Posts
You could always clip her down to the pony cut and make her look like a hairless and tell hubby "whoops! guess the groomer didn't understand what I wanted..." ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL...I know at some point I will probably clip her down into a pony cut for fun once she's full grown. I'll probably only get away with that once though! =P Haha! He might like it once he sees it though.

I find that he 'thinks' he doesn't like something and then when he sees it in person he changes his mind. He lets the whole preconceived notion of what other people think affect how he thinks about it. :rolleyes:

When I told him I was getting a chihuahua (before we were married) he thought I was nuts. Of course now he adores Cinder and thinks shes the best dog in the world...haha. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts