Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I hope you don't mind, I have been snooping around a lot of forums the past couple of days and I always seem to come back to this one.

So let me start from the beginning. We are a family of 9 now, with my wife and I (we live in NC), our 2 grown daughters who live in another state (NY), our 2 sons who still live at home, Sugar, our overweight yellow lab, Buddy (sugars son) who is a Golden Retriever (which is what Sugar is suppose to have been), and now we have Baby, the sweetest little long haired Chi I have ever sen.

We were walking through the flea market over the weekend and of course we run into the usual cast of Characters selling their wears and pets, some AKC, some mutts. The I seen her........ the cutest little puppy I had ever seen, laying in a smelly cage with 2 other dogs, shaking like a leaf. I asked to hold her and the lady allowed me to. Over an hour later, we were sold, we wanted her. However we felt the responsible thing to do was to walk away, look around and see if we still felt the same way in an hour or so............... we walked and talked and walked some more, then we both looked at each other and said "Why are we putting off the inevitable?" Lets go get her! And we did!

As we walked up the the booth that she was at, she was still on the counter with her owner holding her as we had left her. When she saw us her little tail started to wag and it was if she just woke up, My heart melted right there. She smelled so bad from being in a cage, but I didn't care, holding her gave us more pleasure than any smell could scare us away. As we talked to her owner, we found out that the lady was a breeder and was selling "Precious" because she has tried breeding her, but she would never get pregnant, so "she was worthless" to her............. That upset me, but I let it pass because I was paying for her at that moment, and figured I would just finish this transaction and get out........ As we talked, I asked if the dog had a hearing problem because she didn't seem to respond well to us calling her be her name "Precious". We were told that she hasn't had much human contact because she lived in a cage with other, bigger dogs, and wasn't very friendly around people....... OK.... Now I'm looking at this beautiful girl and looking at this old lady and thinking the old lady is crazy..... just crazy!

Long(er) story Short(er), we finished and left! Before we left the building however we got her a nice bed, a new collar (harness) and leash, a water and food bowl and a couple of other small things that she would need...... Like SHAMPOO!!!! We left the building but decided to sit in the grass in front of the car so she could stretch her legs and potty if she need to. But she would just keep hiding her head and her eyes were watering like crazy, just running down her face getting my shirt really wet. We loaded everything up in the car, and stopped by the local PetSmart store on the way home to get her a few new "accessories". One of the ladies at PetSmart looked at her really quick and said the eye watering outside was from the lack of sun light. So I took her outside and wasn't out there 2 minutes when her eyes started watering like crazy again...... (Hence the new eye glasses in the avatar pic). Then we found out that most of the smell that we were smelling was coming from her mouth, not just her body. The poor babies teeth are brown from tarter from front to back. She was so neglected and it's so sad to think that anyone could possibly treat a pet this way, they need us so much.

She's been here 3 days now and what a difference we see in her every day. For never having human contact, she sure is making up for lost time now as she never leaves our side. She is either on my wife's lap or mine, or she is with one of the boys. There's not much better than when she sees you walk into a room and her tail wags so much that her whole body moves. She's eating good, but won't eat hard foods yet, or snacks. We give her the best can foods that we can find and foods with glucosamine to help her bones get stronger and let her muscles build up a little. I'll try a few raw thins soon, depending on how well she can chew, which doesn't seem possible right now.

We got her all the recommended sprays for her teeth listed here (However she doesn't like the spry at all), and the tooth paste and tooth brush. We are just letting her taste the tooth paste right now so she will get use to that before we stick that brush in her teeny little mouth.

She is the most adoring little girl I have ever seen. She can tell us with her body motions when she wants water and food, and we are working on the potty training thing. We also figured that her name should be changed since she shows no response at all to "Precious" and perks right up when I call her Baby, so we changed her name to baby Daddy's girl was shot down by the family). And she gets along wonderfully with the bigger dogs who like the idea of having a little one around. Buddy, the male Retriever seems very protective of his new little sister, their so cute together.

I'll try to post pictures of her when I learn how........ Ya'll don't know what your missing.........

Thanks for listening...

Baby'sDad
John

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Hello and Welcome, can't wait to see photos of baby. She sounds adorable. I am so glad you rescued her. Poor little thing. Sounds like sh has had it rough. My Zoey is a daddy's girl as well.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Hi John, welcome to the forum, your story was nice to read, and I'm glad that baby has a loving home with your family now, cant wait to see pics!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
welcome and congrats :) , poor girl sounds like she has been through alot , glad she is safe now and cant wait to see pics :)

to upload pics , upload then to photo bucket than add the last code to your post and hey presto you have pics :)

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Hi and welcome John.
Poor wee baby, she has had a bad start in life, but at least she has the loving home she deserves now.
Look forward to pics of her.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She will be 4 on 4/15/11. Those pictures were taken the first day that we got her and she was a little skid-dish with her new surroundings and people but she is coming around really well......... she is sooooo lovable.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Awww... she is gorgeous. I am so glad you rescued her.

By any chance, did you get the name of the "Breeder"? They should be reported for how they treat their animals! That is so awful and sad and neglectful. And what is really terrible is they are calling themselves a "breeder"!!!! Makes me sick. It almost makes me wonder if there is some puppy mill type stuff going on there.... sounds like she has a bunch of other dogs too. :-(

Do you know if she is there every week @ the flea market? If so, I'd call the Humane Society or something and tell them about this. It is just not right. The animals don't have voices and sometimes need us humans to intervene and speak for them.

(sorry to go off topic, but this saddened me so much to read...)

Congrats on your new baby! So glad you were caring enough to help her.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Grumblebee: I agree with what you say, and it has been discussed between my wife and I. The term breeder was mentioned as her profession by the seller, but I think it was used losely and used as a better term for Puppy mill, which is closer to what she described.

I hate meddling in someone else"s business, but I will when it comes at the expense of these puppys. She is at the flea market regularly so having someone check up on her wouldn't be a problem. She uses no name or address in dealing with her, so the flea market would be the only source that I have to contact her....... or have someone contact her.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Awww....poor little thing has been through so much. Glad she is with you now, she's a cutie.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think there is a huge difference between "meddling" and intervening when something WRONG is going on. Meddling would be being concerned about something that isnt any of your business and isnt harming anyone or anything. As soon as someone/something is getting hurt though I think it is our responsibility to make it known to people who can take the appropriate action....

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
What a pretty girl!
She is so lucky you rescued her indeed.
I would report the "breeder" to local
authorities too.Im wondering what she
does with the ones she cant sell!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I'm really glad you rescued that little soul. Your lives will be richer for it. She is a beauty and reminds me a lot of Dexter, a long hair boy chi here who looks alot like her!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts