Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amanda, Gadget and I left to go pick up my mom @ 7am. I had put Gadget's flea stuff on him. I wanted to make sure he was protected so when we were walking round in the rest stops and when we got to my aunts house.. not knowing how her yard was for fleas.

We filled the gas tank got off to a good start. Got about 10 miles up the freeway and Gadget threw up. I started wondering why he was throwing up. He has never been car sick. We got about another 10 miles up the freeway and he threw up again. the third time he threw up I was getting concerned. I was sitting there and I started petting his head and I noticed it was HOT... then I rubbed his body and it was hot. I got really Freaked. I loked at Amanda and said somehting is wrong. I called my vet and talked to the tech and told her that I thought Gadget was having an alergic reaction to his flea stuff. The tech told me to call the 1-800 number on the back of the box... well, I had left the box at home... So I called my mom and had her look up the phone number to Petsmart. Then I called petsmart
The guy I talked to there was very helpfull I was so Glad he went and got the box and gave me the number. I called the number and after about 5 minutes of push this number for that and that number for this I finally got this lady and she told me there was a $50.00 fee for telling me how to take care of Gadget's problem after he had a reaction to their product.
I said no way... I called my vet back.. talked to the tech and told her what the lady said.. she couldn't believe it... My vet was in surgery until between 2 and 4pm.... I knew to give him benedryl(thanks to everybody on here) I just didn't know how much. The tech couldn't tell me how much because she wasn't sure... SO I called my mom and had her call a vet by her. My mom called me back and she said that the vet said to give him benedryl but wouldn't tell her how much.... I think that vet wanted me to take him there for the money. (now remember that I am driving 250 miles and calling everybody on a Amanda's cell phone.) I told my mom I was going to call somebody that I knew could get me the answer. I called Amanda's other mom and asked her to call her vet and get the amount to give Gadget. In the mean time I stopped at a reststop and took Gadget in the bathroom and washed the stuff off the best I could with cold water a small sink and that nasty hand soap they have in there. I felt so bad... I knew he was sick because I was trying to save a few dollars this month because it is a tight month this month. I had heard nothing but good about this product.

So We got back on the road after washing gadget. Amanda's other mom called back and gave me the amount. We stopped @ walmart and got him a bottlle of benedryl and a surringe. we got outto the car and was standing there trying to give Gadget the benedryl when this guy walked up to his truckl that was parked next to us. he was very nice and actually came and helped me give him the benedryl... I was so greatful because Gadget was very mad and unwelling to take this stuff...

by this time it was 3 hours after we left home and we were just barely half way... I knew that it was going to be a long day...

we got back on the road and Gadget settled down and went to sleep but had to have his head on my arm...

I drove straight through to my moms house after that.. Gadget slept most of the way...

We get to my moms house load her stuff in the car and went to my aunts house. We got there and she wasn't there. we knew her combo for her garage so we went in.. her dog was not there so we knew she just went for a walk. so we went and walked down the way she normally does and she was walking back to the house with her walking buddy. So we got back to the house and we had lunch.. Gadget was not liking the 2 dogs that much.. one would start sniffing his head and the other would sniff his butt.. It was like to giants and alitle baby...

we did get to go outside and lett the dogs play for a while.. gadget wasn't sure about them big dogs (they weren't that big but to him they were)

we got back on the road and it was like ok I am on my way home... It was 1:45pm.... Got on the freeway and cruised through the major traffice areas with no problem. stopped at a rest stop about 50 miles later (mom had to pee) Gadget walked around and loved smelling all the different smells.

We got back on the road and decided to stop in Cottage Grove (the half way mark) at the chevron gas station we always stop at....we got out of the car and I put Gadget leash on him so I could walk him. While doing this I set my car keys down on his carseat adn got out of the car and locked it up. well, We went to get in and I didn't have the keys... we were stuck... I went in tot he store adn borrowed a wire coat hanger. tried to get in.. but with no sucess. This gas guy came out and he tried... his boss came over and tried... his boss gaave up after about 10 minutes but this gas guy didn't give up... he kept going at it until finally I was tired of trying and was starting to give up... he let me us his cell phone since all the money phone and purses was in the locked car. I called mark and told him was was going on... he told me to call him back in a few minutes to let him know if we got in or if we needed him to come bring me the key. After baout 10 more minutes I told the gas guy that I was goign to give him 5 more minutes and I was going to call mark back nad have himm bring me his key.. I no longer got the work key out of my mouth and the door popped open... It was like man I gotta give ou a hug... SO I gave the guy a hug and I got int he car grabbed the cell phone and called mark...
we went throught he drive thru at mc Donalds and went on our way... we stopped one more time but I left the car unloked and had my keys with me... I wasn't even going to do that one again. we got home about 7:30 pm last night... then we had to unload the car and get the bed made for mom and amanda in the tent... I was so stressed and tired I took my night time pill and was out in minutes...

Thank God that yesterday is done and over with,...

I am getting a second key made and A hide a key box and putting it up under my car so I will never have this problem... Seee I never lock the keys in the car unless I am 100 plus miles from home... hehehhehehe

·
Registered
568 Posts
What a nightmare. And thank goodness everything turned out fine and you made it home safe and sound. I sure hope Gadget is doing OK today. What kind of flea products did you put on him?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
They wanted $50.00 to tell you what to do about an allergic reaction to their own product? I wouldn't have been at all nice and what I would have said would have included the word lawsuit. That is outrageous. I would appreciate knowing the brand so I never, ever buy it under any circumstances.

I hope the rest of the visit goes extremely well even if it did get off to a bad start.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Oh that is terrible :shock: I can say the keys under the car tend to rust or fall off....I carry two sets at all times. My hubby locks himself out on a regular basis :roll:
So glad gadget is ok!! WHEW!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Wow...what a day! is gadget better now?

i can't believe they wanted $50 to tell you how to get the reaction to stop...ITS THEIR PRODUCT HES REACTING TO! jeez, it really burns me people can be so greedy! if it were me, i would've said "no, you can't have $50, but you can have a call from my lawyer if you don't tell me what is going on with my dog!"

well, i'm glad you made it home without pulling your hair out in frustration :lol: :D

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Tinker said:
They wanted $50.00 to tell you what to do about an allergic reaction to their own product?
:shock: What the heck!!!!!!!!! Omg that right there would have thrown me into a rage!! I am so glad you made it home safe and Gadget is doing better :wink:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everybody....

Gadget is back to himself today.... He is fiestier than ever and keeps barking at my mom to pick him up... hehhehhe

We are thankful we made it home... And yes that big bed it look more inviting then ever before....

The product was ZOdiac spot on flea & tick control. for puppies, toys and miniatures under 15 pounds.

I just found on the back of the box it has a website..... www.zodiacpet.com

I am going to have to send them a email.... I really want to get angery but I have to keep my cool so I can deal with this in the better person mode...

I am going to send the product (whats left of it) back to the manufacture and tell them what happened and that I would like my money back...

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Glad to hear he is better! Flea treatments can be very scary.

I use Frontline on my boys and it works pretty good. I can split one applicator between the two because they aren't even 22 pounds together. :wink:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kari I normally use frontline too, but this was a tight montha nd I was trying to pinch pennies for the month and it didn't work very well, I will never use anything but frontline ever again.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I know what you mean. I did something REALLY stupid when Mr. Peepers was young. I actually tried Hartz on him!!! I had no idea of their bad reputation and how sick they can make the animals.

He had almost an immediate reaction to it. He was standing and swaying back and forth. And really lethargic. I felt HORRIBLE!! I washed it off immediately and took him in to the vet. He was fine. Some just have really bad reactions.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Ugh - sounds like the day from hell!! I don't think I've ever heard of that flea product before, but you handled it much better than I would have. I'm afraid I would have had some choice words for them. Talk about negative PR!!!

I have also locked my keys in the car - fortunately though, I was close to home when I locked myself out.

On the bright side, though, I'm glad Gadget is back to himself and hope you and your family have a good visit with your mom.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thank you chimom... I would have loved to have said some choice words but It wasn't going to help the matter.... I was greatfull that Gadget's vet and The people at Petsmart was really nice....

Kari, I would have loved to have taken him to the vet... unfortionately I was so far away I had to do something fast..... I knew that hartz was bad.... I was hoping that this was ok after hearing some much good about it...

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
50usd !!!!! are they crazy or what :shock:

you're great story teller :wink: it had me from the start :D you have to write books hehe

what a day .....pfff

kisses nat

1 - 20 of 23 Posts