Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my neighbors and I were on our way to the San Diego Chihuahua meetup , she has 2 and I have Yoda. Well the park was closed and no one knew where they all went. SO we found another park nearby for dogs, and noticed that most of the dogs were HUGH. BUt we sat really far away from the dogs, cause the park is really big. Well as we were walking in I still had Yoda on his leash and harness on. Her 2 were already off the leash and running . Well since Yoda is only 5 months old, I baby him and watch out for him since he is only 3 lbs.

Well this hugh freakin greyhound happened to love small dogs. This dog came up to my waist if not higher. Well were started to pull our chairs out and the greyhound started to get my baby!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was basically swinging Yoda around on the harness trying to get this dog off him. The owner was WAY ACROSS the park yelling at him. I pulled Yoda up by his harness and he was already snapping back at this hugh greyhound and I threw him on my shoulder by then the greyhound flew on ME!! and scratch my entire back and made me bleed on my NEW SHIRT.. THe owner started running towards us to get him. My dh put the dog in a choke hold until the owner came. My poor baby was so scared.... He was shaking.
ETA: This was not a skinny greyhound, this was all muscle.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
OMG!!!

I would have been so pi$$ed...he actually made you bleed? WTF is up with his owner...did he do anything?

Poor Yoda, lil baby is probably traumatized now....

That's why Gizmo doesn't go to parks, and I keep him right next to me if we go out...It's sad that we have to be overprotective, but you just never know!

Hope your ok....clean the crap out of those scratches, you don't know what was on that dogs nails :shock:

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I'm really sorry this happened to you and to Yoda. One day Lily and I were walking in our nearly state park. A couple people with their (leashed) greyhound approached us on the trail and I thought, "Hmmm, wouldn't it be nice to let this beautiful greyhound and Lily sniff each other because I know greyhounds are such gentle creatures." I held Lily out toward the greyhound and that dog immediately lunged. I pulled Lily away faster than I thought I was capable of moving and the people pulled back on the greyhound's leash. Nobody was hurt and Lily didn't even realize what had happened. The owners told me their dog evidently thought Lily was a chew toy because I was holding her.

Lily and I encountered another greyhound a few months later - in the waiting room of the vet hospital where Lily had her dental surgery - and you can bet your life I didn't let that dog anywhere near her.

I think the owner in your case should have been more vigilant, especially if he/she knew the dog wouldn't respond to voice commands. Dog parks can be very scary places for chi's and other small dogs. I'm just glad you're okay, though I imagine you still haven't stopped shaking.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Oh my gosh, I am so sorry this happened to you. At least neither of you were seriously injured. People don't realize even though they are taking their dog to a dog park you still have to WATCH THEM. You were right to baby Yoda. You saved his life!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The damn owner didnt say anything but grabbed him and left to the way other side of the park. They leashed him the entire rest of the time they were there. I WONDER WHY!

Yoda always comes to me if he feels threaten, he will jump on my lap. Thank god he was on his leash still , they dog could have took one bite of him and it be over. I bet I hurt his ribs pulling him by the harness but i had no choice.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
That is just awful!! I would have flipped on the owner for not coming to get his dog when he saw him running towards a 3lb. chihuahua (or any small dog for that matter). It doesn't matter what size the other dogs are, the owners are supposed to watch thier dogs.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
What a horrible experience for both you and Yoda :shock: Your little guy is very smart to run to mommy when there is trouble.
I would had been so mad at the owner :x I dont think I would had been able to hold back my anger! Is he dumb?! :evil: Doesnt this person know that greyhounds like to run down smaller animals?! I mean if you have a dog that is highly prey driven, wouldnt you think that maybe a dog park would be a bad idea, especially if your dog really likes to chase animals smaller then itself.
I am so glad Yoda came away safe and what a lucky boy he is to have such a wonderful mommy who is willing to put herself in harms way to protect him.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
It really ticks me off when people take their dogs, big or small, to leash-free areas when the they don't have their dogs under control at all times. I would NEVER take Cooper anywhere unleashed if I had a doubt in my mind that he would not come to me when I called him!! In my opinion, that is completely irresponsible behavior on the owner's part. I also scan the area constantly to see who's got voice control over their dog and keep on eye on those who don't.

A small percentage of people at dogparks don't think about their dog in relation to safety in those places, especially if it's a larger dog and that makes my skin crawl. Not only could their dog hurt another dog or a human but the dog could get hurt itself. The irresponsibility of it all makes me furious!!

I'm glad Yoda is okay (with the exception of his whirly-gig ride) and that you aren't seriously injured. I don't know how you stopped from slamming that owner to the ground - I know I would have.

·
Registered
897 Posts
OMG! I can't believe the owner didn't at least profusely apologize if nothing else! Some people... :evil:

I have never been to a dog park and can honestly say I never will. That is absolutely horrible. I am so sorry that happened to you and Yoda. I hope you both are ok!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
loves small dogs huh?! yeah ill bet
greyhouds are sighhounds...they are bred to chase and hunt rabbit sized prey...hmm isnt a chihuahua rabbit sized?! and there also faster thna lightening when it comes to the chase.
the ownere of the greyhoud is responsible for any damage done to you and the pup, i hope you got his info cause at the very least if you end up with docs bills form the scratches...he shoudl cover at the least your co-pay.
Yes dog parks are places for dogs to play, but the fact that the owner had such low control of this dog and didnt react faster is ridiculous.

the dog park is a fun place to go, but very scary. might be better to go on none peak hours, find out when the most big dogs are there and avoid those times.
and never ever an unvacinated dog down on the ground in a dogpark, you never know who vacinates there dogs and who doesnt.
its just a good job that you were babying your little man, he could have very easily been killed by that hound.

as a general suggestion to anyone, if you see a hound dog around be very watchfull of your babies. spaniels are bird dogs there fine, whereas hounds are bred to hunt small prey that on average is the size of a chihuahua. as much as the owners of these hounds say oh now my baby doesnt have a hunting bone in their body, this many years of selective breeding and natural prey drive cannot be ever completly undone, thats like putting a collar on a tiger and expecitng it not to have teeth and claws.
be cautious with hounde because though there are exceptions, a hound unfamiliar with tiny dogs is likely to see it as prey or a toy rather than another dog...

hope you little baby is doing ok and moreso hope your ok...keep the scratches clean and use antibacterial creme of some kind to avoid infection.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
That is just ridiculous!! :evil: You'd think that they'd have better control of their dog. I know dog parks are for dogs to run around and have fun but that just sucks! Good thing he wasn't hurt.

We have or had something like a dog park in my city and I noticed that people that have the big dogs (not saying everyone does this) don't watch them enough. And the people that had the chihuahuas or smaller dogs watched them really well. :?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah he was really shaken up, I hope that this doesnt traumatize him in anyway towards big dogs.

A lot of it is manners. This one puppy kept pouncing on the smaller dogs, he could have easily broke there backs. Some people just done watch there animals. I never let Yoda out of my sight and Thank God I still had him on the leash and harness. You never know what could have happened... :(

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
i had the same issue! i was at a BBQ with my family and i had jamoka on a leash. he was under the tabel eating some ribs.
when these people came over to the next table, they had a rotti.
so my friend who is scared of dogs(jamoka was the frisr dog is likes), i told the people before they came close.i said can you go around b/c my friend is scared of dogs" the lady said oh he's friendly. i said "we don't know or trust your dog so can you go around?" this lady walks right between our table and bbq pit! so my friend jumps on the table and i yealled at the lady b/c she knew my was scared!

then 2 more dogs came to there table! and i asked them again nicely not to walk there dogs by us. soooo they deside to take all 3 of there dogs off the LEASH!!!! the dogs were rotti,pit,and a mix breed. so i told them there dogs better not come over to our table!

i was wacth'n them like a hawk! i turned my head for not even 2 seconds, and one of the dogs was under the table try'n to take the bone from jamoka! the dog grabs the bone and he happened to be standing on the lose part mokas leash so i thought he was bitting him and i over reacted and kicked the dog i was wrong , i only saw a big dog over my little 3 month old puppy! sorry! so the lady was wacthing this the whole time!!!! and said nothing. so when i kicked her dog she called me a animal hater and said my dog needs to be taken away from me! and said that chihuahua owners over react. i said if that was YOUR baby what would you do ?! she went to get a park ranger. and i told him what happen. he said that she was wrong and fined her $300!100 for each dog, so i feel really bad for what i did but i have to wacth out for my jamoka :cry: . but i feel that 100 is nothing b/c she will do it again

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Reading all your stories makes me glad I live where I do. Austin's a very pet-friendly place and, for the most part, when you see someone out with their dog, the dog is either leashed or under voice control. I have yet to run into any dog, big or small, that I was afraid of letting Cooper go near - and we get around a lot! :lol:

I do pick him up though if I see a larger dog that shows interest in him. Usually the owner will say "oh, my dog is friendly" but I'll hold Cooper until they've had a chance to sniff each other and I've determined to the best of my ability that the dog IS friendly and won't jump on Cooper.

Even though I know there are irresponsible pet owners in Austin, most of them don't take their dogs out. I'd estimate that about 95% of the dogs we see in parks and such are well trained and well mannered (too bad most of their owners aren't!). I keep an eye out anyway - I don't trust larger dogs until after I've "diagnosed" them as being friendly.

One thing to also remember when you're out with other dogs is they feed off the vibes you give off and your body language. If you're worried that they're going to jump on your dog, then they'll pick up on it and probably jump on your dog. I always approach another dog in a calm, friendly manner, just as I would approach Cooper and it seems to help. When dogs approach me and Cooper, I do the same thing, only I pick up Cooper quietly and let the sniffing start from my lap.

You can't always control what the owner does but at least you can try to control the dog's reactions and yours.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
i think in a DOG PARK.. it is common sense to only bring a nice dog that won't try to eat little dogs, i mean it's common sense, my chocolate lab guinness, is dog aggressive, he has always been that way. He hates other dogs except for our own, he is highly protective of us, but we bring him on walks in area we know don't have many dogs, we wouldn't bring him to a dog park, thats just unreasonable not only are you endangering other dogs, but the life of your own dog too!!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Wow, that was really scary. We don't have any dog parks here. In fact, I don't know of any dog-friendly places in my town, either. I'd always wished that we had a dog park, but after reading your story, I'm not so sure. The Greyhound's owner should have definitely used some brains and either kept his dog on its leash or been right there next to it, and most certainly not on the other side of the park. That was simply irresponsible.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts