Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cuddling his valentine heart

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What a sweet pic, Michelle. He's so handsome!! How old is he? How long have ya'll had him?
We have had him since he was 9 weeks old and he is almost 10 yrs old. He is a handful though. He was well socialized and then out of the blue when he was around 3 yrs old he decided he did not like strange dogs or strange people. So he is at home all the time now. He is an escape artist and very destructive even with plenty of mental and physical stimulation. He has a high prey drive and will kill most anything so we have to watch him. I have no doubt that if he was left in the yard with the Chihuahuas or the Coatimundi that he would kill them. We have to be careful with him. Also about 3 yrs ago he started pottying in the house and in his crate, has bee to the vet several times over it but nothing seems to be wrong. We love him though and he is our responsibility so we just deal with each issue as they come along.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
We have had him since he was 9 weeks old and he is almost 10 yrs old. He is a handful though. He was well socialized and then out of the blue when he was around 3 yrs old he decided he did not like strange dogs or strange people. So he is at home all the time now. He is an escape artist and very destructive even with plenty of mental and physical stimulation. He has a high prey drive and will kill most anything so we have to watch him. I have no doubt that if he was left in the yard with the Chihuahuas or the Coatimundi that he would kill them. We have to be careful with him. Also about 3 yrs ago he started pottying in the house and in his crate, has bee to the vet several times over it but nothing seems to be wrong. We love him though and he is our responsibility so we just deal with each issue as they come along.
You know, Michelle, THANK YOU!!! This is a perfect example of understanding that you are the human with a pet DOG who has the instincts of a dog and YOU don't put your other dogs or Coatimundi or him in a position for what would naturally happen to happen then come all "unglued" with him because of it. You have also attended to possible physical issues all that you can that have arisen for whatever reason and have not been able to come up with an answer so you just deal, but he doesn't suffer for something he can't help at your hands. Hope my thoughts are coming across the way I have them in my head. :)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Absolutely! I tell people all the time to research the breed before getting a dog. This was my husbands doing, LOL! We will never have another high energy dog or one with a prey drive like his again. With that being said I still love the breed and he has a lot of great aspects it is just too much for me these days ;-) I use him as an example when I see people rehoming their dogs over the silliest things. He is my responsibility and when I got him it was for life meaning through all the ups and downs. :)

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
He is a beautiful dog!

My son and DIL adopted an Aussie/Doberman mix about 2 years ago. She was not a pup and they knew that she had recovered from heart worm. They dud not know however that she had a small problem. When she lies down and relaxes, she leaves a "small puddle" behind. They had an opportunity to return her, but both of them have the same attitude as me and my husband. . .once the animal enters our family, that's it! Whatever issues arise, we deal with!

You have a lot of "PR" with your dogs! ;) keeps you on your toes! Lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts