Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a little background... Tico is 15 weeks old.

July 1: 1st day with me and wanted to be held non-stop.

July 2: Started to look around the apartment on his own a little, but still would rather be held.

July 3: Discovered the cat food and cat box (both are now off the floor where he can't get to them). He found out he can use the living room like a little greyhound racetrack, but when you called him, he would calm right down and want to sit with you.

Today: Running as fast as he can non-stop, jumping up to bite your hand as you walk by him and tries to bite whoever is holding him or nearby. (and I was worried about him being too clingy a couple days ago!) he doesn't seem to be biting to be mean, more like he's really excited and playing rough - but it's been ALL DAY!

I'd read if you tell him "ouch!" like his mother would yelp at him, that will tell him not to bite, but that's not seemed to work...

Any suggestions or thoughts?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
If taht doesnt work along with giving it a toy and all else fails this is a suggestion i was given by a trainer. I have grasped around the the muzzle and taken the lower skin of the upper lips and rolled it with my fore finger and thumb and applied pressure till the skin hits their teeth and said no bite. but you must do it as soon as the dog bites. I know it sounds cruel but it is no different than the mom grasping the side of the neck or cheek.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My Chico does the same thing with biting...i just tell him "No Biting"..and give hima chew toy right away....with praise so he learns its okay to chew toys but not the fingers....just be patient,things take time.Good luck! :) :wave:

·
Registered
889 Posts
you can get a squirter bottle and fill it with water. have him play with someone else and whenever he bites, squirt him with the water (on his side) and have the person playing with him say "no bite!" sternly.

we tried the yelping thing when zoey would bite but it made her more excited and she would bite more!! :shock:

or whenever he gets too rough, say sternly, "no bite" and get up and walk away. if you stop playing with him when he bites he'll learn not to do so anymore or else he wont get to play.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did try to distract him with a toy he likes (a rope kitty with a little tennis ball body), and that works for a little bit (30 seconds or so).

As far as walking away from him, he jumps up and nips at your pant legs (calf level)!

Even when he apears to have calmed down, and comes up to you wanting to be picked up, he starts going after your palm or wrist as soon as you pick him up.

I'll get a squirt gun tomorrow and see what he does with that. and try janiebabes trick as well - but he's so quick....

·
Registered
889 Posts
i know, it's so hard... we had a real problem with zoey's biting. it all of a sudden just sort of stopped. she still uses her mouth to play but doesn't bite down at all.

best of luck :)

i'm editing to say that he's still REALLY young and you cant expect him to stop biting completely yet. it might take a while... *sigh* i know, it stinks....

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read thru one of my chi books last night talking about biting, and it discribed what he's doing as play, but what worries me is it also mentioned chis are not prone to biting - but if the parents were biters... and his breeder had said to me once that Tico's mother (she belonged to the breeders Mom) was a biter whenever she had a litter. She had bitten both Tico's breeder and her Dad.
Is that just a protectant mother, or a typical biting chi?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Pups love to nibble..anything and everthing they can get their cute little paws on..

Gizmo still nibbles...but we tell him no biting! and then he licks you...LOL...he's not biting like he used too...but when he gets excited sometimes he forgets...but a stern no biting and we turn our backs to him and give him a hurt look....he gets sad...LOL...it's heartbreaking...then we turn around and give him a toy and when he chews that we say what a good boy he is....

Chihuahuas can be harder work in all aspects of training than other pups I have noticed...but it is so worth it... :D

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I don't know how many puppies the people that wrote the book had or have but all chi puppies I've been around are just like other puppies,t hey bite and they chew, it's thier way of play and you have to train them not to. It takes time, you won't seeresults for a while and at first they won't be consistant but persevere.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
sounds like normal puppy behaviour to me :?

you have to understand that the first days they are ripped from their mother and siblings and thrown into a new envirement.....i carried all my three chi's for the first 3 days in my sweater :D they love it

playing and biting is normal when they are so young ....later on you can learn them to 'play' bite so it doesn't hurt .

don't worry too much ...your puppy is as normal as can be :wave:

kisses nat

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
xx-nathalie-xx said:
sounds like normal puppy behaviour to me :?

you have to understand that the first days they are ripped from their mother and siblings and thrown into a new envirement.....i carried all my three chi's for the first 3 days in my sweater :D they love it

playing and biting is normal when they are so young ....later on you can learn them to 'play' bite so it doesn't hurt .

don't worry too much ...your puppy is as normal as can be :wave:

kisses nat
I totally agree, Nat. Typical puppy behavior, and the suggestions you have been given are good. Just don't expect to see results right away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts