Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I've just got an 8 week old black tri coloured chihuahua. He's not had any injections yet (i've booked him in for this Friday). I was just wondering, obviously i know i can't walk him until after the injections, but is it ok to go out (to the park), and keep hold of him? Ie as long as he doesn't come into contact with the ground/any other dogs?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

James :)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I think that would be fine. Just don't let him down, nor sniff noses with any dogs there. You can visit stores, carrying him. Good luck with him.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I wouldn't risk it just in case since you only have to wait 2 weeks. But I suppose he shouldn't technically catch anything

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
If you keep him in your arms the whole time so he doesn't come into contact with anything, it should be fine. I did that with my previous chi coco. I wanted to start introducing her to things/people/sounds straight away seeing as it's so important to do so from a young age. I just carried her around the park and brought her everywhere with me without ever putting her on the ground.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Socialization is far more important than worrying about shots, in general. Over 70% of puppies are completely immune after 1 shot, and almost 100% are immune after the second shot.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I carried both my chis around everywhere until they were fully immune. So long as your pup doesn't come into contact with dogs he'll be fine. But exposing him to different sights, sounds and people as early as possible is really important. Good luck!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I carried mine and socialized them that way. Parvo is rampid in my state so we make sure and get the full series of vaccinations and then wait 1 to 2 weeks after before allowing them on the ground in known places dogs populate. I have seen far too many dogs end up with Parvo after only having one or two vaccines, I just did not want to take that risk.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I took beau EVERYWHERE before is injections but carried him in a blanket and never put him on the ground, now he loves the outdoors and isn't afraid of noises and people! I think deffinayely take him out :))

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts