Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! As I said in my first post, I'm used to crate training and teaching a dog to go outside. I am a first time Chi owner, but have done a lot of research to know that Chi's don't like the winter or rain and will end up going inside. Which is why I'm trying to learn how to train him on a pee pad inside a litter box. My guy is 9 1/2 weeks old. I live in a part of the US where we have all four seasons. Right now, it's Summer and because I'm doubting my indoor potty training skills, I'm wondering if I should train him to go outside. I know I have seen posts where owners do do that, putting on shoes and winter gear on their Chi. My question is how is your's potty trained? If he/she does go inside - on what? Pee pad, litter box, grate? How did you potty train, step by step? Thank you so much for your help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there. I’m very new to this site. As far as posting goes. But I will tell you if I was not in an apartment I’d have trained for outdoors. However one should never say never. Because it come to haunt you!
What I did with my girls and the breeder did the same. I had/have a large pen. In the pen 4x4. Is a soft bed with blankets. Toys. A paper/disposable pee pad in the corner. And I have two cloth incontinence pads in the front which she is leaning more towards using for pee. I also have her food dish in there and a water bowl. I don’t hold back fluids ever. When I get home from work the pen is left open and if she has to go potty she heads right for the pen. No accidents. The apartment is small so the girls really do stay right in kitchen living room area. I have the bedroom blocked. I will train in that area once they are both ready. With my pinky everything needs to be a slow process. She gets it. But Pinky needed time to process everything. She is adjusting well with the new change of having her sister live WITH us. It’s more then a visit ya know?! It’s fur-ever. All in all. They are compatible sisters.
Hope this helps even if it’s just a bit on your pee training. Neither of my chihuahuas have peed on grass. Yet. They get the pee and poo thing I think some just need more time then others to show you they know the rule and are now comfortable showing you. I guess when your in your 60s, time is irrelevant. It’s a whole other way of thinking compared to your 20,s and 30’s. Just sayin!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there. I’m very new to this site. As far as posting goes. But I will tell you if I was not in an apartment I’d have trained for outdoors. However one should never say never. Because it come to haunt you!
What I did with my girls and the breeder did the same. I had/have a large pen. In the pen 4x4. Is a soft bed with blankets. Toys. A paper/disposable pee pad in the corner. And I have two cloth incontinence pads in the front which she is leaning more towards using for pee. I also have her food dish in there and a water bowl. I don’t hold back fluids ever. When I get home from work the pen is left open and if she has to go potty she heads right for the pen. No accidents. The apartment is small so the girls really do stay right in kitchen living room area. I have the bedroom blocked. I will train in that area once they are both ready. With my pinky everything needs to be a slow process. She gets it. But Pinky needed time to process everything. She is adjusting well with the new change of having her sister live WITH us. It’s more then a visit ya know?! It’s fur-ever. All in all. They are compatible sisters.
Hope this helps even if it’s just a bit on your pee training. Neither of my chihuahuas have peed on grass. Yet. They get the pee and poo thing I think some just need more time then others to show you they know the rule and are now comfortable showing you. I guess when your in your 60s, time is irrelevant. It’s a whole other way of thinking compared to your 20,s and 30’s. Just sayin!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
My 2 Chis are pee pad trained... and I love it.... I do take them outside occasionally but they are just as happy to stay indoors and use the pads, esp. in the winter or rainy times... Both are boys so I crumble up one pee pad and set in the middle of their area so 'boys will be boys' and can hike their leg and pee...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have both litter box trained and outdoor trained in the past. We have four seasons too, and now I opt to outdoor train only with a space scraped for pottying if it snows. The boys know how to potty really well in the litter box, but tended to get their pee outside the box a lot and I didn't like it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts