Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over weight puppy? Edit...pics added

Addy is 9 months. I think she is fat. Even when wet she "looks" fat (wide) to me. She is weighing exactly 5 lbs. She is 9 inches long and 7 inches tall (top of shoulder to floor)...her chest is measuring 12 inches.

She is Raw feed getting about 2-3 oz daily...plus small treats of ziwipeak for good potty behavior. Am I feeding too much?

She is so tiny looking but just wide:confused: Since she is still a puppy, I worry about under feeding.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I've never thought Addy looked overweight. But maybe you should post some pics of her so everyone can see? (plus I love seeing Addy pics! LOL)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
IMO, I wouldn't worry about a puppy being overweight--it's baby fat from the mother's milk. As they grow & become more active playing, they loose they baby fat by absorbing the nutrients & protein in their body. I wouldn't worry about weight til their full grown or about 1 year. You can do more harm to a puppy by limiting their food. You can eliminate snacks & treats unless they're healthy if you're concerned. I'd like to see pics.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I feel like my LC puppy often looks fat hahaha. He's close to 7 months now and really, is quite round. But I think a lot of its fluff. You should take some pictures :) She is a pretty little thing ;)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I think this is a good excuse for us to see new pictures of that cute baby!! :)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK....camera battery is charging (I know..its been awhile) :coolwink:

Will post some later today of my fatty Addy.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok...took these today. When hubby came home today he said...that little dog is getting fat:(

This is the Addy sit.....she is too impatient to sit all the way down.

You can see in this one where her fringe ends is where her tail is dislocated

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Ok, she does look a WEE bit chunky (though in the last pic she doesn't really??). Maybe reduce her food to closer to 2-2.5oz. There is such a fine line....

At any rate I'm LOVING how her adult coat has come in...and that she has kept some of her blue sabling and her mask! GORGEOUS!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I'd cut her food back just a bit. She's still growing so just let her grow into herself without putting on any more weight, if that makes sense.

She looks to be very straight in the stifle in the last pic (her back legs are very straight with very little angulation) so that can put a stress on her knees. By keeping her lean, you will greatly decrease the chances of patella luxation.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I agree maybe just the tiniest bit chunky, but not a ton. Like maybe as others have mentioned, let her "grow into herself" but cutting her food back a tiny bit, but not really "dieting her".

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I agree she does look like she needs to be cut back a tad, but she's sure an adorable girl. Zoey weighs 4.5# and gets about 2oz of raw per day. But she is an adult too.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I thought she seemed a bit tubby in the top pics, but the last one you posted she does not look bad at all!

As others have mentioned I would decrease her a bit and up her exercise.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I personality think she is just fine the older they get the more they fill out. I had a female she was 5lbs when i got her and 3 years later she was over 6. I didnt over feed her or nothing just she got older and filled out more. If you feel she is fat..i woudl cut back ehr food and feed her 2 times a day..good luck

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone! I'll cut her food back to a solid 2 oz per day. Maybe I am over feeding her a tad :confused:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
She is a adorable and doesn't look the least bit fat to me (but that's just my humble layperson's opinion, I'm not a breeder or expert or anything...).
All of my dogs have always free fed and I've never had an overweight dog (of any breed), but I don't give them a lot of treats and absolutely no table food.
She looks perfectly beautiful to me!
You're little Bailey looks alot like my Skylar in the face. Skylar is a chocolate LC. :)
And ironically, my white one is Mia too!

·
Registered
164 Posts
If she is overweight at all I would say only a tiny bit... I wouldn't be very worried about the way she looks NOW, but if she has continually gained weight thus far then maybe I would feed a little less just so she doesn't get any bigger, you know?
With their delicate little knees, I do agree with everyone that it is best to keep her lean and at a good weight. It is good that you are at least keeping track and realizing that overweightness in a dog is an issue. I don't know as if she HAS that issue but by watching it you will at least be aware. :)

She is so adorable, by the way!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts