Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya been a while since I've been here. Our chi is now nearly 2, he seems to be over grooming himself on all 4 paws and its getting really bad, he has open sores now and loosing fur on them. I took him to the vet back in august and they thought he may have an allergy to something on the grass with the problem just being his paws, so we got steroid cream but it didnt help and after 2 weeks we ran out and things were no worse so just saw it through, things did settle and the paws looked ok.

Now however his paws are sore again, I know it cant be an allergy as he can lie for ages and not seem to be bothered at all by any possible itching etc, in all honesty I think he is just doing it out of habit, he bites at his paw nails and licks his feet excessively, I do have to leave him home to go to work he is left in his room which is well equipped with chewy toys and sweets so he has plenty to keep him occupied.

I am just wondering if there is anything I can use to try to get him to not lick and chew is feet as I think if he stops doing that the fur will grow and they wont look sore. The soreness doesnt stop him walking, he loves going for walks still, just if he goes to itch himself now and then with his back leg he gives a yelp, I think this is just because of the sore paws.

I have thought about using that stuff we use to stop biting out nails perhaps a small dab on his paws but not sure.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I think you will need to isolate whether this is feet chewing from allergies or from boredom. My mother in laws sheltie used to obsessively lick his legs and he would get "lick granulomas" from doing that. He licked all the hair off and caused sores. It is hard to get control of. Her vet put wraps on the legs and then sprayed the bitter apple on the wraps. I don't think that would be possible on paws though.

What food are you feeding? Foot chewing and licking is a major sign/symptom of food allergies.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he is on eukanuba??? then there was another food similar to that but made by the same people I thik maybe iams? I def think that the problem is due to habit and boredom, he doesnt seem to attack them like one would who was being iritated, he just licks then cant seem to stop.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Zoey used to lick/chew her feet for hours on end. It was a constant battle, her feet/legs were stained brown, even though we were feeding her a limited ingredient diet, she was still licking/chewing etc. It was almost like a compulsive obsession to deal with her itchies. So in July I switched her to a raw diet and the difference has been amazing. She no longer is eating any grains or anything that she is reacting too. She is growing back white hairs on her legs now, and doesn't seem to be licking at all. Some dogs will lick with boredom, stress or separation anxiety. as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to be honest, he was initially on pedigree chum!!!!! I don't think he had any problems on that, I am sure it started when I introduced iams and eukanuba

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I'd suggest you upgrade his food. Even if it doesn't solve the foot licking problem, it will vastly improve his overall health. Orijen, Acana, Taste of the Wild, Evo, etc. are all good. You can go to Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble and compare brands. Pedigree, Eukanuba and Iams are very poor quality foods with lots of grains, corn, and fillers. All these ingredients can cause or complicate allergies.

If you want a superior diet, you could try ZiwiPeak or even a raw diet if you are interested.

That would be my first suggestion.

As for the boredom, etc..... how much is he exercised? I'd make sure he got a long walk before you go to work and another one when you get home. Lots of vigorous playtime so that he is busy in the evenings. You can do puzzle toys like buster cubes or stuffed kongs also.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He is always kept very active, we have a huge garden, that he is welcome to run about in but choses not to cos unless he is on a lead he hates going out in the cold! Plenty walks, will defo give the cubes and that a go though cos he loves his little treats.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Sounds like allergies to me! My chi has many severe allergies & I strongly believe Science, Iams had a lot to do with it. I agree with other posts that if you put him on a high quality dog food, you'll be amazed how much better he'll do.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Foot licking is definitely allergy related, but it doesn't have to be an allergic reaction to anything his feet are touching. It can just be a symptom of any kind of allergy, whether it be to the food they're eating, the shampoo you're using, reactions to laundry products they're coming in contact with through their bedding/blankets, or really anything, and they respond by licking/chewing their feet.

If you can't do raw, I'd strongly suggest you at least go with a grainless kibble, like Evo Innova, Orijen, Wellness Core etc. The most likely culprit if it's a food allergy is the grain/corn ingredients in what he's eating. I'm not ruling out boredom etc., which could also be the culprit, but I've known plenty of dogs who were very thoroughly stimulated/exercised, and STILL chewed at their feet till the allergy/food issue was addressed and eliminated.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
If it's not environmental or food allergies, it COULD be yeast.
Lily used to lick her paws excessively. Still does from time to time if I don't keep on top of things. She licks at her paws and nails enough to stain them brown. She is a raw fed dog, but it wasn't enough to stop the licking.
My vet said allergies, but I didn't agree with him. He wanted me to feed her a prescription diet and start her on steroids. I did some research and found out about yeast in dogs. Google The Great Dane Lady. Her website is very informative.
If the food change alone doesn't work, I would start giving a probiotic/acidophilus for yeast daily with a tiny bit of plain yogurt. Give 1/2 hour before each meal.
Make sure you are feeding a grain free food. Yeast thrives off of grains and sugars, so absolutely none of that. You can also use a shampoo called Malaseb.

I hope you figure out what the problem is.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I thought that at £15 a bag Iams and eukanuba was a high quality food!!!!!!
I know exactly what you mean!! But look at the ingredients.... corn is one of the first ingredients. Corn is a filler and a very low cost additive that dog food companies put in their foods. It is also a major cause of allergies. All that fancy marketing makes people think they are feeding something good! You are not the first to be taken in by savvy marketing campaigns.

Check out some of the other alternatives suggested and you will see a HUGE difference in your dogs overall health and condition.

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
I had a Chi (Peso) that would lick the pads of his feet until they had sores... he drank ALOT of water(that's why I asked previously about the water).... my first VET thought it was an allergy of some kind and that is what he was treated for.... but he never got better so I switched VETs.... this Vet knew from the first visit what it was and ran the tests for it.... "Cushing's disease" but it was caught so late at this stage in time that Peso died within a yr..... so does your little Chi have any other symptoms besides the licking of the feet?? and its not only "allergy related".... just keep that in mind, please...
Cushing's Disease in Dogs - What is it, and how do we treat it?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'm with Tracy. Unfortunately high price of food doesn't mean high quality. Even vets recommend & sell these foods. One thing I was shocked to learn was most vets are taught all they know about dog nutrition from dog food companies like Hills & Purina! Wow, right?! Conflict of interest. Some vets are great about educating themselves...but many do not.

You can check Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble under the reviews section. Type in a particular food & it will give you a good review of the food. Scary stuff really on some of the foods that are supposed to be "great"!

We've fed all different quality of dog foods from Nutro, Solid Golds Wee Bit, EVO, Honest Kitchen, ZiwiPeak & a Raw diet. We currently feed raw. My second suggestion would be ZiwiPeak. It is very expensive but is basically raw in a bag (they're like jerky squares but also have a wet variety which is wonderful...and I typically hate wet food!). To feed one average sized Chi it would cost approx $25 every 5-6 weeks. So not even too bad. The next food I'd recommend is Honest Kitchen. It's also a dehydrate raw like ZiwiPeak but you must add water prior to feeding. Still we got great results on it. From there you go into premium kibbles. I personally like EVO & Taste of the Wild. We've not fed TOTW but I turned my mom onto that for her big dog & she loves it, the reviews are great & the ingredients are wonderful.

I personally think you'll find once you cut grains out of your little ones diet--you'll see a HUGE difference! So many dogs are allergic to some type of grain. Corn being the leading causer. It is also VERY hard on their digestive sytems as well.

Good luck--I hope you're able to find something that helps with the allergy issues! Kudos to you for asking for help. I've learned SO much here on the forums about nutrition...it was such an eye opener. BTW, look for a dog/pet speciality store that will sell the premium foods. You will NOT find them in the grocery store or at Petsmart/Petco. (usually anyway) Most people are suprised at how many are around them. We have one closer than our closest Walmart or Petco/Petsmart & we live in the middle of nowhere. haha But also Tractor Supply & other "farming stores" may also have the premium kibbles as well if you're limited to where you can buy from.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Just an additional note to add to Heather's about premium foods. Many of those premium food websites have "store locators" as part of their site. It's how I originally found somewhere to by Evo Innova when I first switched to that.

It's really sad that the chain pet stores don't sell the premium kibble, that we have to hunt down the really good stuff. On the other hand, I've read some of the food philosophies of these companies that make the superior foods, and they just won't sell their foods to the chain stores.

Oh well, my dogs are worth searching and driving a bit out of my way to give them superior nutrition! :love4:

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I thought that at £15 a bag Iams and eukanuba was a high quality food!!!!!!
So did I!!! Boy, was I wrong! I have finally learned how to read labels & not the front of the bag. They can say on the front of the bag what ever they want. I think there's a reason we found this great forum. I have learned so much from these people, I am honored to be a part of this forum & I thank each & everyone on here for their vital info in returning my precious Chi to health. A big

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I dont think he drinks alot of water so hopefully the cushings disease is a no no, I am going to change his food and see if it improves before going to the vet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts