Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
5,224 Posts
What a shame poor babies. The way people are breeding Chihuahuas in the UK we'll soon be seeing scenes like that alas.

I hope they all find special homes.

x

·
Banned
5,224 Posts
I think we are already seeing it,Battersea had 2 last week.
Yes, you are right Michelle it has :(

I've heard of a few recently in the area.
General rescues are homing more now, not sure why people aren't contacting breed rescues? Maybe harder to find out about them?

So If ANYONE is looking for a rescue Chi, keep in touch with local general rescues too ;)

x

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Yes, you are right Michelle it has :(

I've heard of a few recently in the area.
General rescues are homing more now, not sure why people aren't contacting breed rescues? Maybe harder to find out about them?

So If ANYONE is looking for a rescue Chi, keep in touch with local general rescues too ;)

x
Our late Penny came from a normal local rescue and Rosie was rescued just before she was sent to manchester dogs home with a load of chihuahuas from a cruft show-er/judge/breeder in Cambridgeshire!

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
This is Really sad. Its not fair, the Chihuahuas didnt ask to be popular and be put in shelters. I had a chi before they were all the rage. I love my chihuahuas and I hate seeing other suffer in a shelter.

·
Registered
155 Posts
When I was searching online I noticed Los Angeles had quite a few. I adopted Oreo out of North Central and had him flown to me. He is mixed, probably with Pug it seems.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I wish dog themed movies would be a less impact on people. Clearly Beverly Hills Chihuahua has influenced many to get chis, and look what happens. I live in Alberta, Canada.. and over 80 little chis and chi mixes were flown in from LA to Edmonton for adoptions.. what people seem to have forgotten, is that Alberta is also overrun with stray, homeless dogs too. I work in a shelter, I know first hand.

If only people were smarter and more educated in their decision on getting a dog. Same goes for ANYONE breeding. I believe that they should have a guaranteed lifelong home for each individual pup, BEFORE even breeding their females.. But, the world can't be perfect, and the dogs and cats get to suffer from it :(

·
Banned
5,224 Posts
If only people were smarter and more educated in their decision on getting a dog. Same goes for ANYONE breeding. I believe that they should have a guaranteed lifelong home for each individual pup, BEFORE even breeding their females.. But, the world can't be perfect, and the dogs and cats get to suffer from it :(
I couldn't agree more.

Sadly you just have to look at all the poor little Chihuahua babies advertised online to see that the majority of them bred have no place waiting for them.

At one time in the UK Chihuahua puppies were like gold dust and you had to really go some way to find one and probably wait if you wanted a girl pup.

How things have changed...Such a shame for this lovely little breed :(

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Oh man I checked one of the links someone on here posted and I found this statement that really worries me:

NOTE:IF THERE IS MORE THAN ONE PERSON INTERESTED IN ADOPTING AN ANIMAL, THE SHELTER WILL CONDUCT AN AUCTION AT 8:00 A.M. ON THE MORNING THE ANIMAL BECOMES AVAILABLE FOR ADOPTION.

Is that a common practice in US shelters?? :eek: I just can't believe that animals are treated like this..... they're not a table or an antique lamp, they're living beings. Instead of looking for the RIGHT person they're just looking for the person that can pay more money..... regardless of the fact that that person might be completely wrong for that pet :(. Really sad.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm just guessing but it might be because they want to make room for new ones. As an article said, shelters would take more as soon as they were ready since California has so many to send out. I don't like the idea of it being of what we think, a buying type of auction, like that in Ohio that there's petitions circulating to shut down. Geez, what's going to happen to the application approval process with this? Scary because poeple with alterior motives can go and buy these dogs for any personal reason. Where is the article that stated this?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
My gosh. I've never heard of such a phenomenon. Our little shelter could easily adopt out a dozen or two of the pint sized refugees. Chihuahuas are like duck's teeth down here...in shelters that is. Theyr'e still a very popular dog, but when I adopted Poppet from our shelter, I had to get there almost an hour before they opened on the day he became available and there was still a line...luckily, I was at the front of it.

I love the fact that they're adopting out of state. I realize that there is greater risk involved, but as long as they coordinate with the out-of-state shelters, I don't see it being a bigger risk than adopting at home. And goodness knows there are good owners who would love to adopt a shelter chi but don't have the opportunity to do so. If a rare chi does crop up here and there, the rescue orgs usually snap them up. I'll save that rant for another day.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you go to www.dogsindanger.com and enter Chihuahua, California, range 250 miles you'll see about 48 Chi dogs there. There was not even that many when I was searching there back in March and toward July or so I noticed that the number had increased drastically and holding. So unfortunate.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
So sad, so many dogs needing home......it breaks my heart!! :(:( I just can not imagine that people still continue breeding (I'm talking about irresponsible breeding) and all of these dogs will die in the near future. I wish I could take them all.
I have a question though.... because none of these dogs to me look like Chihuahuas, how do they establish which ones should be called a "Chihuahua" and which ones a mix? I mean there's nothing wrong with mixes, they can be just as perfect as purebred dogs ;). Do they just call every small dog a Chihuahua? Fair enough, but if we are writing articles about it and talking about 1000s of Chis out there, they should at least get their facts straight...... they're not doing the breed any justice and these kind of statistics are not based on actual fact.

·
Banned
5,224 Posts
I have a question though.... because none of these dogs to me look like Chihuahuas, how do they establish which ones should be called a "Chihuahua" and which ones a mix? I mean there's nothing wrong with mixes, they can be just as perfect as purebred dogs ;). Do they just call every small dog a Chihuahua? Fair enough, but if we are writing articles about it and talking about 1000s of Chis out there, they should at least get their facts straight...... they're not doing the breed any justice and these kind of statistics are not based on actual fact.

Maybe they could or should say Chihuahua type?

In the UK we have so many Chihuahuas, even KC registered ones, that are far from breed standard and so many crosses that look very much like Chihuahuas sometimes...it's going to get like that here.

It's not just Chihuahuas in the UK, I was looking at a rescue dog the other day described as a Shar Pei...It was clearly a Shar pei/Staffy cross. Of course still a lovely boy if you love and have experience with these breeds :)

x

1 - 20 of 23 Posts