Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were at the pet store today "trick and treating" when someone asked me what kind of dog Toopie was. I told her Chihuahua, and she immediately said "No, you're wrong." I was taken aback. But she continued to insist he wasn't a Chi. I stopped trying to tell her otherwise. But it has been bugging me even sense. I know I should let it go, but for some reason it's really eating me up inside...

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Oh...dont let some crazy person upset you over something you know isnt true:( Just let it go....It's obvious he is a chihuahua....and an adorable one at that:)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
People can be so ignorant! Not all Chi's look the same but sometimes people thing they know more for whatever reason. Your Toopie looks like a Chi to me though. :)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Ugh, some people are so rude and ignorant. Makes me sick. Like Heather said, not all Chi's look the same. I've heard of some people with long haired Chi's get told their dogs can't be a Chi too because the short haired Chi's are more well known therefore it can't be a Chi if it has long hair. :rolleyes: Try not to let it bother you, hun. People like that are not worth your energy.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Don't let it get to you. Reggie was called a Pomeranian and a papillion by the staff at my vets. I was soo happy when someone at Petsmart actually asked if he was a long haired chi!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Theres always one person thats gotta steal your joy!
When we go out they ask"Is she a teacup chihuahua?"
OMG $#@@@!!*~+++ NO shes not!!
I just say there is no such thing as a teacup chi and they
dont usually argue cause of the disgust on my face.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
What a mean spirited person to tell you that about your baby. She must be a seriously unhappy person! Don't let it get to you. Your chi is beautiful. :)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I've gotten the "What kind of chihuahua is she?" When I answer smooth coat etc. they look at me crazy. Then they follow up with, 'No, is she an apple chihuahua?" I've also gotten the teacup thing and I just let it go. Just not worth it.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
next time just simply smile and say, Im sorry for your ignorance. Them walk away.
I think your chi is perfect :)

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
When leila and i went to petsmart the other day, someone asked me what kind of dog she was too. lol I kinda thought "duh" but then i thought, you know not everyone is as educated about dog breeds . So i tried not to feel insulted lol. My hubby says i should've answered back "great dane" :D
Your toopie is a darling chi, people are just ignorant. Can't believe she argued with you. You shoulda popped her one! lol

·
Registered
477 Posts
what kind of dog

Blows me away that someone would think you don't know what kind of dog you have! I have a Bichon Frise and if someone insisted that he were a Poodle, they'd get what for and so would anyone who insisted that my long-coat Chi was anything other than a Chihuahua. I'm pretty easy going, but won't stand for things like that. I'd be pretty apt to look them right in the eye and tell them so!

Jeanette

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
We were at the pet store today "trick and treating" when someone asked me what kind of dog Toopie was. I told her Chihuahua, and she immediately said "No, you're wrong." I was taken aback. But she continued to insist he wasn't a Chi. I stopped trying to tell her otherwise. But it has been bugging me even sense. I know I should let it go, but for some reason it's really eating me up inside...
Next time that happens just say "Oh, yeah sorry, I forgot. He's a great dane." And walk away.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Somebody once told me that Kahlua didn't look like a purebred chi, because she didn't have long hair all over her muzzle like "all the other longhaired chi's" she'd seen. o_O

Uhm.. I've never seen a purebred chi that grew the 'fringe' on it's snout... lol..

Edit to add:

Also just thought- usually when someone asks me "What kind of dog is THAT?!" (like, with a condescending smug undertone..) I respond, "She's a vicious pit bull." That shuts em up...
(and FTR I adore pitties!;))

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Theres always one person thats gotta steal your joy!
When we go out they ask"Is she a teacup chihuahua?"
OMG $#@@@!!*~+++ NO shes not!!
I just say there is no such thing as a teacup chi and they
dont usually argue cause of the disgust on my face.
EVERYONE asks me the same thing. I usually just say "No, she's just small" because usually I'm on the go. Whatever...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Somebody once told me that Kahlua didn't look like a purebred chi, because she didn't have long hair all over her muzzle like "all the other longhaired chi's" she'd seen. o_O

Uhm.. I've never seen a purebred chi that grew the 'fringe' on it's snout... lol..

Edit to add:

Also just thought- usually when someone asks me "What kind of dog is THAT?!" (like, with a condescending smug undertone..) I respond, "She's a vicious pit bull." That shuts em up...
(and FTR I adore pitties!;))
LOL!! That cracked me up! I'm so going to start doing that.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I am always amazed when someone asks me what one of the chi's are. I think they are very identifiable. Ridiculous, but I agree with the others, don't lose sleep over it. :) Toopie is very cute!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
People always ask me what Draco is mixed with. I guess because he is larger and has a rough coat. I just say his mom and dad are chihuahuas. Your Toopie is a cute little Chihuahua. Maybe people just expect all of them to look like the Taco Bell Dog!

·
Registered
44 Posts
With my basset hounds, everyone always would look at them askance because they were a respectable weight and not overweight like alot of them you see. Most people that are not knowledgeable about dog breeds only go by what the popular look is, don't let it bother you. I know sometimes it does though.

On another note, I used to take my ferret to the medieval fair in Norman and one year Sammie was sitting with my Grammie and some lady walked by and said "Ugh it's a rat!" very rudely and affronted that we would have such a disgusting creature (I've had rats too, sweet little things) anyway Grammie replied very forcfully "She is not a rat, she is a ferret! Very sweet and not nasty unlike you!"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts